Tuning 165/65/r13 / 175/65/r13?

Currently reading:
Tuning 165/65/r13 / 175/65/r13?

yiorgos

Has anyone tried 165/65/R13 or even 175/65/R13 tyres on cinq sporting?

These days I am doing ~85 miles commuting to work daily on motorways and A roads and the short gearing is a problem. I also have spax springs and shocks and taller tyres would mellow the crashy ride as well as allow the car to travel with less revs on the motorway at the same time.

And then there is the price issue with 165/55/R13 we are all aware of ;-)

Has anyone got any experiences to share?

Simple get 14s

Thanks for the advise , but the 2-£300 for the rims makes this a non-starter.

I would maybe consider it if bigger brakes were on the menu, but his is not the case, and I have previous experiences with cars whose handling was ruined by bigger rims.

I wouldn't bet on 175/65R13.

165/65R13 might go well, though, but that's close to 155/70R13 which eliminates steering feel and gives a wobbly ride. I'm not an expert at all but I have driven 155/70 and got rid in a hurry. That's a personal preference, by all means.

155/65R13 is not bad, though. Sure as heck isn't great, either!

165/55R14 is close to ideal, if 185/50R14 is not an option as this profile is as expensive as it is pretty. :yum:
My Ovation VI-682 165/55R14 setup is proving much better than expected and comfy-ish for a 60/40 drop on Koni Sport shocks.

Fitting taller tires won't bring down the revs - that's a matter of leaving 20min's earlier and going slower! :eek:

My honest advice, not an attempt to be an arse:

Fit stock springs, new shocks or buy a Punto Mk2 which is hugely more comfortable, just as affordable and gets same/better mileage but is absolutely no fun... or live with the compromise that is a lowered cento, heaps of fun, simply built yet full of Italian Spirit (Made in Poland).

Yeah if it lowerd and stiff expect a bumpy ride or sell 13s to buy 14s will make it handle better and be good on your long rides ether that or get a bigger car sei are only ment for running about in

My view -- it makes more sense to run 14s than run higher profile tyres (and the handling will be better.

It makes no financial sense though :(

And you'll be surprised the diffecence a few more psi will do to the stiffness of the sidewall ;)

Spaxs -- especially the Cinq spec ones (the Sei spec ones are said to be much more compliant) -- will (and have!) caused body damage on UK roads.

I am not surprised :D They are really brilliant on the right road, ... and awfull on the wrong, (especially on the country roads that were levelled with shovers instead of rollers)

I wouldn't bet on 175/65R13.

Fitting taller tires won't bring down the revs - that's a matter of leaving 20min's earlier and going slower! :eek:

max torque is @3250, which is ~60mph

You can't go any slower on the motorway without being a public danger, and at these revs the efficiency of the 1.1 engine (fuel flow/power) is already falling fast. With 175/65/r13 60mph would be @2950 rpm (more economy) or, keeping 3250rpm and doing 65mph (much safer).

Fit stock springs, new shocks

Yes, but they are not free, while my tyres need replacement anyway.

or buy a Punto Mk2 which is hugely more comfortable, just as affordable and gets same/better mileage but is absolutely no fun... or live with the compromise that is a lowered cento, heaps of fun, simply built yet full of Italian Spirit (Made in Poland).

ha ha, this is my 3rd cinque, the first brand new in 1996. I 've driven other cars (obviously) and some where more fun :devil: but when economy counts the cinque is unbeatable.

I am doing this route daily, and half is bliss and half misery. I am just trying to make the later half a bit better :D

Points taken. :)

175/65 doesn't make sense though. Neither does compensating for stiff suspension with taller tires.

But that's your choice and as such there is no good reason to argue against it, now that I think about it. We're supposed to help each other in a forum, after all.

175/60R13 seems a good choice for you, actually. ~5,3% bigger circumference so should fit nicely with no scrubbing, a bit wider than stock and there seems plenty to choose from, ranging from Nankang to Yokohama A048.

In fact, they're not far from the 175/50R14 fitted to the 5.5J Abarth rims. I'm confident they'll fit with no issues.

Points taken. :)

But that's your choice and as such there is no good reason to argue against it, now that I think about it. We're supposed to help each other in a forum, after all.

Thanks Hansen_DK,

Will post the outcome if I decide to go that route :)

185/55/R14 on steel rims

Ok, going for function over appearance, I 've got from a scrappy a set of 185/55/R14 on steel rims.

Admittedly, the look but ugly but they should do the trick.

They are 9.18% 'longer' which is what I was looking after and they definitely feel smoother on my neighbourhood's bumpy roads too.

First impressions very good. let's see on the b-roads on Monday ...

Fitting wise, they do rub on the front of the wheel arches with some lock, but nothing that can't be sorted :D

On the down side, they're Mohawks which, judging by the reviews on the net, they are supposed to be 'lethal' ...:eek: ... but they were the only matching set available

Attachments

• 20140913_180211.jpg
    20140913_180211.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20140913_180224.jpg
    20140913_180224.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 20140913_180233.jpg
    20140913_180233.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 57
I like that size - had the same size on my first Cento for about an hour as they scrubbed a LOT! Seicento with an offset of 25 front and rear. I got nowhere near full lock, either.

But it's really not a bad profile as far as the ride goes. And I like ballony tires more than stretchy or really low profile ones.

Ergo, I agree with Peter33. They don't look bad at all!

Thanks peter33 & Hansen_DK, the tyres don't look too bad, and not been too skinny gives some confidence over potholes etc, it's the wheels that look out-of-place. Maybe the photos were too kind to them ;)

I am on spax springs and shocks, and I have raised the front 1-2cm from that. The rubbing is against the liner at the front of the wheel arch. I checked the left side and there is nothing behind it, so I can 'push it' in permanently. I have not looked at the right side but I think it should also be OK as I remember the wiper tank is a bit forward.

The wheels have offset ET35, so I am looking to buying some 10mm spacers soon.

Back