Technical 12V Point Dead

Currently reading:
Technical 12V Point Dead

My 12v cigarette socket won't work since a penny fell into it (got the penny out) but it's dead now, tried many different things in it and no power. Should I just order a kit off eBay to replace it or could it be as simple as a fuse?

And does anybody else notice half of the 12v accessories tend to just pop out or is my 12v point just overly worn out somehow?

I don't like those sockets. Everything falls out. The only certain fix is a different type of socket but then the accessories would all need new plugs.

Your problem: Check the fuse it's probably just that.

If the socket looks suspect, You can remove the centre console with about 4 screws (under cup holders and at the back. Then you can get to see if wiring has overheated.

You could consider adding a Neutrik Speakon bulkhead socket (alongside the ciggy lighter socket) and use their twist lock connectors. eBay "Speakon connector".

Last edited:
Should be just the fuse. The penny will fit very nicely to connect the feed and earth. Serves you right for being so rich!

And does anybody else notice half of the 12v accessories tend to just pop out or is my 12v point just overly worn out somehow?

When cigar lighters were first created, there was no standard. Shortly afterwards, it was realised that it could be used as a power socket, so there became a Euro standard. This is what we have in the Fiats.

Then, the Japanese, not being in Europe and a bit non-conformist, created a slightly smaller diameter one. Most manufacturers have since adopted the smaller size, so all the plugs are the small size. Good plugs have a strong spring in the side contacts to hold the plug it, cheaper ones are weaker and tend to fall out. Needs a sleeve, but not an easy thing to create. Needs to be non-conductive, but allow the spring contacts to pass through. Don't just wrap with gaffer tape, the glue will not like any heat produced. Perhaps whittle one from balsa? There was a Maplin plug with an adaptor sleeve, but that's gone along with Maplin.

Might be able to find a replacement with the same connectors, but a bit of a faff.

Where is the fuse located for this please? mine has gone too!

Back