General 1242 16V - Want to hear from people who have done it/seen it done

Currently reading:
General 1242 16V - Want to hear from people who have done it/seen it done

JR said:
also IMHO the use of t/b's on the 600m was a complete gimmick to say they had done it, as those t/b's deliver there peak power (in the right application) well above 10000 rpm so useless for performance driving.

You would be better off with a modified punto mk 1 16v inlet manifold! Or a standard inlet manifold as they are suprisingly good on the 16v.
QUOTE]

The engine produces max power above 10,000 rpm.
The tbs allow it to breathe effectively at that level.
Not just the size of the tb but its straightness, smoothness lack of junk in the airway and quality of components that contribute to power. This will be effective throughtout the rev range and with a high overlap/lift cam that power will be produce further up the rev range.
Hayabusa = 147 iirc bhp @ 10500 1300 engine

So yeah, might be overkill on yer 1242 cento (mind you if your revving to 8000?) (cool tho)!
But, no, the Haybusas are gonna be way better than fiats finest inlet manifold.

Me, I just wish I was in a position to be playing with this sort of stuff :(

davethetrike said:
But, no, the Haybusas are gonna be way better than fiats finest inlet manifold.

Maybe in the right application, if you are not talking about Fiats 1242 you are spot on, as in a higher revving engine would be better than Fiat stuff.

But on the 1242 a modified standard inlet would be much much better, although i'm sure with ££££ a better solution could be found. just not the Hyabusa!

Well from what I can figure from what I've been reading;
  • Basically get a crash damaged punto sporting and I have pretty much everything i need
  • Then there's just the matter of either getting an uncoded ECU or using standalone management, and uprating the fuel system
  • Some chopping at the chassis may be required to squeeze it in, mainly due to a longer crank and this affects the headlight/inner wing area
  • May have to play around with the engine mounts
  • Exhaust manifold spacer
  • Re-route the cooling system, also want to use the punto rad so it get's the proper cooling it needs, cinq rad may be just a little too small for it
  • Inlet manifold clearance- who needs heaters ;)
Think im about there then, i reckon i can have a damn good attempt at that, and do it for maybe £1500-£2000, even less if I get good luck with parts prices.

Slap the cinq gearbox on the lump and pop an EBC clutch in whilst im at it, then just get a custom exhaust and an induction kit and remap, and I'll be one very happy cento owner, and uprate the brakes and suspension of course (y)

Might even take a few weeks of as paid holiday so I have lots more time to work on her :p

Last edited:
SkinzCinqSporting said:
Then there's just the matter of either getting an uncoded ECU or using standalone management

If you can get the code box and keys from the crash damaged punto then theres no need to uncode the ECU(y)

panda-sport said:
If you can get the code box and keys from the crash damaged punto then theres no need to uncode the ECU(y)

True, ill probably buy the whole crash damaged car anyway, rape it for the bits i need and sell the other bits on too help fund the project, :)

Hmm, wait a few months and i could possibly be in the position to add my own experiences :chin: At this rate i'll never get round to doing my re-spray :bang:

Was the 1.2 16v found in the bravo/a any different from the punto sporting? I dont recollect so, in which case be much easier to get hold of instead of using just a punto sporting :) Unless i need the punto for the mounts? But in which case, i can use the original 1242 mounts off an 8v if the bravo/a ones are different?

Last edited:
Don't want to **** in your puddle or anything, but from what you've said recently your Cinq has lost some of its youthful looks. Personally I'd be wary of spending a shed load of money on converting a less than great bodyshell.

The other thing you need to factor in is the money you'll end up spending on the small boring stuff you'll need to make it all work, engine mounts, electrical connectors, bits of hose....... you'll be surprised at what it swallows up.

Fivehundred said:
Don't want to **** in your puddle or anything, but from what you've said recently your Cinq has lost some of its youthful looks. Personally I'd be wary of spending a shed load of money on converting a less than great bodyshell.

The other thing you need to factor in is the money you'll end up spending on the small boring stuff you'll need to make it all work, engine mounts, electrical connectors, bits of hose....... you'll be surprised at what it swallows up.

Ah the shell isn't too bad, it's more little dings here and there, can live with them, they add to the sleeper effect.

As for electrical connectors, hose etc, work accounts with lot's of discount ;)

You will be fine, good luck!! Just get ready for lots of perseverance!

Just one thing you really shouldn't need to trim the inner wing, a spacer on the engine mount is much easier.

Get an uncoded 16v ecu and that will be fine, you'll be looking at some very good power.

JR said:
You will be fine, good luck!! Just get ready for lots of perseverance!

Just one thing you really shouldn't need to trim the inner wing, a spacer on the engine mount is much easier.

Get an uncoded 16v ecu and that will be fine, you'll be looking at some very good power.

Yaha, i quite like the idea of standalone management, but we'll see how much it costs arc first ;)

Perseverance: does getting annoyed, walking away for a few minutes then coming back count :p?

Ah my mind is getting worse, Andy covered his conversion over on the old cento yahoo group feck ,wonder if it's still there?

Liam

t'is gone the posts would have been deleted and it's now basically cc.

Last edited:
Luke said:
What about the 16v head on the 1108 block? :chin: Should work in theory? Just have to swap over the crank pully and source a shorter belt?

Tell you what luke, if it will work, then that's making life a bit easier. Still have to plug in the 16V loom though :rolleyes:

Back