General 100hp newbie

Currently reading:
General 100hp newbie

Ollster

Recently bought a very tidy <50k blue panda 100hp to replace my ignis sport which was written off by someone pulling out on me. It's my first Italian car so go easy on me (I also own a 1994 Porsche 911)

The previous owner seemd fastidious so I didn't have too many worries but in all honesty it's not been the most harmonious purchase as on the way home from buying it a rear bump stop detached, and I woke the next morning to find the gearbox requires a very soft touch from stone cold or else I can beat the syncros (hoping oil change will help this).

Whilst investigating a fix for the bump stop I notice some people suggest replacing them with ones from the lower model as it gives a more progressive bottom out, this would make sense as the 100hp plastic centered ones don't seem to allow a massive window for the rear damper to work in.

Also I would guess from everyone else's experiance the rear dampers will probably attempt fall off at some point, so any suggestions for replacements? The default choice seems to be koni str but as I understand they are for the base model so will have a longer rod length allowing the spring to become loose at full extension which I don't like the idea of. Bilstein, kyb and Sachs seem to make dampers specifically for the 100hp so has anyone got any experiance of these?

Last edited:
I'd chuck some sawdust in with the new oil, it sounds like your baulk rings are shot so don't expect any improvement. Front shocks aren't much better, front one on SWMBO'ds was fine one day then BOOM! oil everywhere the next! As for replacements, treat them like tyres and fit a make you have heard of and you shouldn't go wrong. Welcome to the Fiat clan, what model is the Porker?

The best replacements are koni sports (yellow) or KW variant 1, then koni strt (orange)
Replace the springs as well

Recently bought a very tidy <50k blue panda 100hp to replace my ignis sport which was written off by someone pulling out on me. It's my first Italian car so go easy on me (I also own a 1994 Porsche 911)

The previous owner seemd fastidious so I didn't have too many worries but in all honesty it's not been the most harmonious purchase as on the way home from buying it a rear bump stop detached, and I woke the next morning to find the gearbox requires a very soft touch from stone cold or else I can beat the syncros (hoping oil change will help

Hello and welcome!! I seem to have the same thing happen now it's winter when my lil 100hp is cold, done the same kind of millage as yours mainly 2nd to 3rd seems to be more apparent now I am hardly using the car, but After about 10-15min it's perfect!
I have koni sports on the rear really brings a great balance to the car well worth buying (y)

I'd chuck some sawdust in with the new oil, it sounds like your baulk rings are shot so don't expect any improvement. Front shocks aren't much better, front one on SWMBO'ds was fine one day then BOOM! oil everywhere the next! As for replacements, treat them like tyres and fit a make you have heard of and you shouldn't go wrong. Welcome to the Fiat clan, what model is the Porker?

That doesn't sound good, kind of wish I would have gone for the swift sport now :( If it's that unreliable I may have to shift it on as this is supposed to be my sensible car!

I have got a 993 c2, see below pic...

a1cf79a5e1cac2a748879b79aedfc371_zps178e20fe.jpg

You can't beat a blue 100hp!! (Looks funny seeing one with standard wheels got so used to mine now!) as gavv said fluid change and go abit easy when cold and she will be fine!

Cheers for the input fingers crossed it will be a simple fix. I really like the standard wheels, don't suppose you have your old set do you as I am after some winter wheels!

I had a 100HP for nearly five years (swapped for a 4x4 TA six months ago) - apart from a wonky clutch plate from new, which was replaced under warranty, it was absolutely trouble-free. I put Koni Sports on the back, which were a great improvement. My previous car was a Cinquecento Sport where the change across the gate was slicker with a little rightwards as well as forwards pressure on the gear lever. I found that the 100HP's 'box didn't like that and a distinct dog leg movement suited it much better, with even a very slight leftwards pressure from neutral into third, especially when cold. Once I got into that habit, the 2-3 change was much improved. Might be worth a try

Looks lovely in blue, Porsche is alright too I suppose :eek:

Rear bumpstops dropped out of my 100hp too, I'd thought I'd chop them down and get them reattached, but I've been entirely without them for a few thousand miles and never noticed any issues, seems to drive fine.

Stick it out with the Panda, when I first got mine the front subframe snapped at the engine mount...! I started to think I'd made a mistake going Italian (always been a VW person), but got that changed and it's been good to me ever since (y)

When I change from 2nd-3rd at high revs I have a crunch. It's been doing it for 5k miles and gradually getting worse. I think it started on 41k miles! I have a replacement box and some Redline MTL to go in along with a new clutch when it finally gives up.

Back