Technical 1.6 cutting out and ASR failure etc etc

Currently reading:
Technical 1.6 cutting out and ASR failure etc etc

I have a 2002 stilo and it had this exact same fault. The garage has replaced the crankshaft sensor and everything else you can think of. Has anybody noticed that their at doesn't cut out as long as you don't have the fan on?! Mine seems to not do it with the fan off! I'm at the end of my tether with it, it's a dangerous fault as I've almost crashed on numerous occasions.

hi can any 1 tell me were the cam sensor is on a fait stilo 1.6

behind the intake camshaft pulley - you will have to remove your cambelt + intake pulley to get access to this sensor....
The crankshaft sensor is next to the toothed (??) part at the bottom of the crankshaft pulley which can be changed rather easy.
forgive my crappy English, i hope it's understandable....

hi all just a quick question if I go 2 a scrap yard nd get a ecu will it fit ???

thax m8 could u tell me were the coolent sensor is im getting high coolent temp wen I start the car up and I have a warnin triangle up and it take a while 2 start up to

the coolant sensor is on top of the thermostat housing at the right side of the engine (green connector).
When your coolant gauge only shows high temperature for 1-2 seconds this is a software bug which Fiat never bothered to update - sometimes a new, larger battery cures the problem, otherwise you could fit a 2 seconds delay circuit in between the switched 12v power wire of the instrument cluster when the problem persists.

I'm getting this exact problem too, with my '02 1.6. I was hoping it would be a simple fix, but it looks like a tricky one. So is the ecu the probable cause so far?

Been looking @ buying a 03 plate stilo this thread is putting me of a bit to buying it now!

But thinking as it seems to be a heat issue with the ecu so close to heat from the engine is this right? if so would it not be an idea to cover the ecu with some sort of heatshield? to prevent the heat issue? am not thinking of covering it with metal or anything but there is a heat mat that you can get that plumbers use for soldering this would cut down heat around the ecu! cvering the ecu with this heat mat would keep the ecu cool!

Would this solve the problem?

Last edited:
Been looking @ buying a 03 plate stilo this thread is putting me of a bit to buying it now!

But thinking as it seems to be a heat issue with the ecu so close to heat from the engine is this right? if so would it not be an idea to cover the ecu with some sort of heatshield? to prevent the heat issue? am not thinking of covering it with metal or anything but there is a heat mat that you can get that plumbers use for soldering this would cut down heat around the ecu! cvering the ecu with this heat mat would keep the ecu cool!

Would this solve the problem?

Nope, nothing to do with heat, just a crap ECU, most other ECUs are engine bay mounted and they don't have any issues.

I bought an ECU from ATP electronics, £350 (or near that) with a lifetime warranty. It's an expensive part, and yes the ECUs on the 1.6 are crap but first make sure you have gone over the car properly to make sure there are no other problems. I had a long list of problems with my car before I bought the ECU.

Has anybody actually successfully fixed this issue? The ecu is a definite fix? I don't want to throw money down the drain.

Back