Technical 1.6 Alternator Specs?

Currently reading:
Technical 1.6 Alternator Specs?

Guys i seem to be having a problem i replaced my battery with an expensive varta blue about a year ago and now it seems like the startor struggles for half a seconds starts and all the errors abs/ebd come up on my dash.Sounds like its too soon for the battery since i replace mine roughly every 2.5 years.

I thought it might be the battery but with the car off the voltage is about 12.6 and with the car running the voltage is 14.2. TO make sure its not the battery, i want to test the amps that come out of the alternator but looking around the elearn i couldnt find anything. Any elearn gurus can help out with the alternator amp rating for a 1.6 dynamic?

Should it not say on the alternator itself what the rating should be? i cant remember what mine is but im pretty sure it does.

Dont expect to get the full rating out of the alternator that it says on it though, they allways lie, thats the complete maximum current it can give when working 100% correctly in 100% non realistic conditions ;)

Even if the volts were correct doesnt mean the alternator is fine the amps it can put out have alot to do with it also.
Testing the alternator is easy just turn everything on and rev up to about 1,200 revs and measure with an amp meter that should give you the max amp outing of the alternator. THx guys im gonna test to see the amp rating.

The Hella catalogue lists an 80amp alternator for the 1.6 Stilo. (90amp with Air Conditioning).

The alternator doesn't charge constantly at that rate. It only supplies the amount of current required to run whatever you have switched on and enough surplus to recharge the battery. Connecting an ammeter in the alternator output cable or an inductive ammeter on the output cable will not show 80amps. (90amps with A/C)

Dave.

obviously it wont show 90 amps but if its at 88 lets say it should be fine. also why wouldnt it show me if i turned everything electrical on (lights,a/c, radio, interior lights?)

obviously it wont show 90 amps but if its at 88 lets say it should be fine. also why wouldnt it show me if i turned everything electrical on (lights,a/c, radio, interior lights?)
If the alternator can supply the load to every item in the car AND also charge the battery then there isn't much more to be said.

You only have to read post #4

It's ONLY if it can't that you need disconnect anything or start reading current loads.

Last edited:
Back