Technical 1.4cc or (future)900cc ?

Currently reading:
Technical 1.4cc or (future)900cc ?

Yep, that's the one. Bearing in mind its size and weight, It's going to have some interesting consequences for the ride, handling and steering of any Panda/500 it's dropped into.

Last edited:
Yep, that's the one. Bearing in mind its size and weight, It's going to have some interesting consequences for the ride, handling and steering of any Panda/500 it's dropped into.

I am sure they have thought of that and adjusted the suspension to suit. remember the 500 was developed in the virtual world so they would have already sussed it.

I am sure they have thought of that and adjusted the suspension to suit. remember the 500 was developed in the virtual world so they would have already sussed it.

That's the car for me then. I seem to be spending my life living in a virtual world at the moment. I'm really keen to see this motor in action. It really does look the business.

i dont believe 1 bit the twins will offer the performance of the 1.4 with better economy than the 1.2 look at the brabus smart or the 3 cyl vw polo's they are what this engine will perform like yes the fiat is turbo'd but the smart and polo have an extra cyl +turbo in the smarts case so will make more torque than the fiat. as for twin cyl bikes being smooth er there not when compared to a 4 cyl AND they are not quiet you go and test ride a harley electra glide then test a honda goldwing you'l see what i mean within 1/2 a mile

Like a car.
It will be modular: supposedly the basic structure can be extended to four cylinders (without the balancing shafts), and many of the components will be included in six and eight cylinder motors.
Cheap engines then. The original Fiat Powertrain blurb explained that it will be a relatively simple engine to build.

Do you think that the 900cc engine will be good enough for rides in motorways? I wonder if the current 1.4 is more quiet compared to the 900cc that may have a more urban-use orientation. The 1.4 though did not seem to be the most silent engine though.

We'll have to wait and see.
I expect an interesting thrum to the engine, but not too much noise. There would be no point in bringing a noisy new engine to market.

Do you think that the 900cc engine will be good enough for rides in motorways? I wonder if the current 1.4 is more quiet compared to the 900cc that may have a more urban-use orientation. The 1.4 though did not seem to be the most silent engine though.

My understanding is that the 900 twin will replace the 1.2 in the panda, and 500. As for it's motorway performance, we are talking about a new 'leading edge' engine. I'm not sure comparisons with past two pots will be helpful.

i had heared that in Goodwood would first test the new 900cc for the 500 but up to now i have heared nothing.. did any of you has any info? :eek:

i had heared that in Goodwood would first test the new 900cc for the 500 but up to now i have heared nothing.. did any of you has any info? :eek:

Nope the only 500 at Goodwood was an Abarth 500 Opening Edition 1.4 Tjet 160 bhp

The first car with the 900 will be the Topolino, and that is not launched until Frankfurt Show Autumn 2009. So we will not see the 900 engine till 2010 IMO.

This makes sense. Let the 500 get well established before upsetting customers with a new engine. Trial the new engine on a wholly new car.

i dont believe 1 bit the twins will offer the performance of the 1.4 with better economy than the 1.2 look at the brabus smart or the 3 cyl vw polo's they are what this engine will perform like yes the fiat is turbo'd but the smart and polo have an extra cyl +turbo in the smarts case so will make more torque than the fiat. as for twin cyl bikes being smooth er there not when compared to a 4 cyl AND they are not quiet you go and test ride a harley electra glide then test a honda goldwing you'l see what i mean within 1/2 a mile

You can't keep comparing the Brabus Smart engine on performance terms - it is smaller at 700cc and with 3 small cylinders, a 900cc with two large cylinders will (in theory) produce far more torque = easier time moving the mass so better economy and performance - the fact they will both be around 100bhp is less important than the torque they produce. The engine is said to be 25% lighter than the current 4 cylinder which will knock a fair chunk from the car's weight in addition helping economy and performance over the current engines. Finally a point you fail to notice about the Brabus is the diabolical auto-box, with changes taking something like two seconds (from what I've seen on Top Gear/ 5th Gear) imagine how much that adds to a 0-60 time where two changes are required as in the Brabus!! It doesn't always make sense to compare apples and oranges even though they are both fruit.

True...

Does anyone know of any updates on the 2 Cylinder yet? Not seen anything new for a while and it is also holding up my decision to buy a 500! (my old A3 1.8t now has 105k on the clock and it's about time I traded in... Really want a 500 but the engines all seem to have flaws at the mo, either power, peakiness, economy etc. etc. and the new one sounds far more interesting!) Ah well, think I'll hold out for a bit longer yet...

unless all car makers adopt the twin cyl engine then fiat have already got a dead donky to try and flog take a look at the brabus smart cars they are a 999cc 3 cyl turbo with 98bhp yes they get good economy but at the cost of performance 95 mph, 0-60 9.9 plus the smart is a lot lighter than the 500 will ever be! unless they do over 70mpg (which even the smart won't do) or cost around £5000 its pretty pointless people will just go elsewhere for there cars if the current 500's where 900cc twins i would have not even looked at buying one

Um, the Smart was Remappable (with a few other mods) to around 130BHP! I know cause mine was!!! Also the smart is 700cc NOT 999cc!

0-60 7 secs ish, around 50mpg, top speed, well I got over 120 out of mine, the big let down with them was the gearboxes! Also the turbo's only lasted around 60k and the engines weren't good for much more than 80-100K, they also need expensive oil, and very regular servicing, I think you'll find this might be the Fiats Achilles heal unless they can improve this aspect of reliability from a small turbo engine :)

I'm also assuming that Fiat will continue producing the 500 Multijet? If you're worried about economy and motorway driving, I can assure you the diesel is the best choice by far!

Last edited:
Jimrod, i am more or less in the same position as you are...

Well, from a greek forum about 500 and from a person that in a sense appears to have rather credible information from FIAT (well i can't be 100% sure but in a way appears to know what he is talking about) the presentation of the 900cc 500 has been postponed to the second half of 2009... European launch estimated September 2009........

Got absolutely no idea what to do. Wait for a year until i replace my 8yo Lupo or just go and get the 1.4.....

oh well...

And don't forget that all Fiat/Maserati/Ferrari engines, including the Diesels, will eventually get the new valve actuation technology that comes with the twin. This will improve performance, emissions and economy across the board. I read that the new Mito will get the new head technology in 2010, and would guess that the GP, 500 and Bravo will be revised at much the same time - they all use the same 1400 engine. Based on all this speculation I'd not expect much new for another two years, so either hold out, or buy now. Leaving it too long will give you a newish car with palpably poorer emissions (tax) and economy than the latest model, and this will certainly affect used prices.
Fiat has, as has been observed, been silent on this for obvious reasons. They don't want sales to collapse while informed punters hold out for more economical cars. Only now and again does a tester mention any of this, and even then no really hard new info is brought to the table.

Well Ale I think there's a few of us with the same dilemma - I've never bought a brand new car before so don't want to make a bad choice, the old Audi A3 I've got is as close to perfection in a car I've had so it's hard to compare against! Ride, handling, performance, styling and practicality are all very good - just a shame it's not more economical in today's climate... (though an average of 31mpg driven at times fairly hard is not at all bad!).

I test drove a 1.4 Sport 500 yesterday and had mixed impressions - the styling was of course fantastic inside and out, build seemed generally very good (though the pull strap for the boot is cheap and fiddly, imagine most will just use the old dirty fingerprint inducing method to shut it!), leather interior was lovely and I got comfortable fairly easily (5'7" and sit close to the wheel so my knees nearly meet the dash but crucially don't rub on it). You sit high up but this isn't really a problem, controls all feel good and positive (indicator stalks further away than I'm used to! ;)) and the instrument pod looks great with a high quality digital readout.

Two things concerned me over all - the ride was pretty bouncy at 70mph on a fairly smooth dual carriageway, I may get used to that and call it "character", I've owned and been very happy with an original mini after all - my main worry is that most of my 25 minute commute to work is dual carriageway so it could get wearing when you're not in the mood. The other concern was indeed the performance of the peaky 1.4 - to be fair there were 3 of us in the car (all about "average" build) but you seem to get quite a lot of noise from the engine from anything over 2500 rpm but little increase in "shove". It never felt strained even going right through the rev range but the noise far outdid the pace! It was as I expected mostly and for that reason had wanted to try the 1.2 for the smoother "torquiness" of an 8 valve. The performance was not my problem but the character in which it was delivered was - I had a courtesy car 1 litre (3 cylinder) Corsa a while back and this never felt less than enjoyable despite an abysmal 15 sec 0-60 time!

My test drive made me want to either try the 1.2 (possibly the diesel though that is a big jump in price) just to see if the power delivery is indeed more pleasing as quite a few reviews have stated - or alternatively wait for what may now be an eternity for the potentially impressive sounding 2 cylinder. I fear I will need a new car before the 18 months plus wait time though or my current car is gonna have 120k+ plus on the clock and be nigh on unsellable (luckily it never ever lets me down - touch wood!).

Has anyone else been similarly underwhelmed by the 1.4 and preferred the 1.2? I tempted to try and get a test of that in the hope it will renew my enthusiasm! :)

Cheers for any advice!

Back