Tuning 1.2 sporting topend

Currently reading:
Tuning 1.2 sporting topend

mex87

hi there im new with fiats ive gota 1998 1.2 16v sporting im just wondering if u can change the top or bottem end off another fiat engine (or does a another engine just drop stright in)..my mate (nick) tunes civics this way,were wondering if the same fing can be done with these engines..pls reply if u have any knowledge on this thanks...hayden

1.4 16v bottom end (Grande Punto, Stilo, Idea, New Panda, etc.) should be fittable. They're not cheap though. Will need a remap to take real advantage I'd think.

These get chipped, old school stuff ;)

OP you have a great setup, those old engines have a higher lift inlet camshaft, double valve springs, bigger tb and 86 bhp. Anything after had 80bhp and economoy cams. With no cat and a Marea 1.6 tb these cars are an absolute hoot :D

As for bottom ends any 1.2 16v bottom end will fit. For a while I used a 2001 bottom end with a 1997 cyl head and cams :)

These get chipped, old school stuff ;)

OP you have a great setup, those old engines have a higher lift inlet camshaft, double valve springs, bigger tb and 86 bhp. Anything after had 80bhp and economoy cams. With no cat and a Marea 1.6 tb these cars are an absolute hoot :D

As for bottom ends any 1.2 16v bottom end will fit. For a while I used a 2001 bottom end with a 1997 cyl head and cams :)

What about the 1.2 16v found in the Stilo? It has 85 or something bhp does that mean it has older better setup?

I have a 1.2 16v Stilo and I've just recently fitted a decay manifold with a straight through and it does feel a lot more energetic! Can I fit the mares TB to mine?

Will need a remap on that ECU, methinks.

Allegedly, people have got 110bhp out of the 1.2 16v with mods only to inlet, mani, exhaust and set up. You'll fail the MOT with a decat, though.

I've done all I can to the exhaust so what is there to do to the inlet side? Anything apart from larger throttle body? Also are the original injectors ok at th power or could you not fit bigger injectors?

I've done all I can to the exhaust so what is there to do to the inlet side? Anything apart from larger throttle body? Also are the original injectors ok at th power or could you not fit bigger injectors?

you dont wanna mess with air fuel ratio's by adding bigger injectors you also have to increase the amount of air entering the bores, bigger injectors need a remap, if you put large throttle bodies and larger injectors means more air and more fuel entering the bores but the MAP sensor would think its too much air and start overfueling the bores making you run rich so there wouldn't be any hardly power gain.

If your going to fit bigger cc injectors and high lift cams, get a Air/Fuel ratio gauge and monitor if its running lean or rich because it would probably need a remap

Will need a remap on that ECU, methinks. Allegedly, people have got 110bhp out of the 1.2 16v with mods only to inlet, mani, exhaust and set up. You'll fail the MOT with a decat, though.

The Bravo would have been pushing out over 100bhp with the old setup so 110 is achievable :)

What about the 1.2 16v found in the Stilo? It has 85 or something bhp does that mean it has older better setup?

I have a 1.2 16v Stilo and I've just recently fitted a decay manifold with a straight through and it does feel a lot more energetic! Can I fit the mares TB to mine?

Same engine as a mk2 Punto? 80 bhp, you don't have an old 176 engine, you have a 188 engine...

You have a plastic manifold not the old split job so I'm afraid you can't fit a Marea tb

hi there thanks 4 all the replys .ive bin lookin around and found a 1.6 fiat punto elx 90(same shape) cood i do anyfing with this!!!???.. swop top or bottm end !!??

The Bravo would have been pushing out over 100bhp with the old setup so 110 is achievable :)

Same engine as a mk2 Punto? 80 bhp, you don't have an old 176 engine, you have a 188 engine...

You have a plastic manifold not the old split job so I'm afraid you can't fit a Marea tb

Thanks for that. So would the 176 engines' inlet manifold fit my engine so I could fit the Marea TB? Is the 176 inlet manifold a better design over the 188's?

Or would it even be possible to fit the 176 cylinder head to my 188's block?

Or to save all the fuss should I just look at fitting the TB found on the 1.6 Stilo?

For a serious engine upgrade fit the Alfa 1.8 or 2.0 TS engine and gearbox. Both are closely related to the Fiat VFD engine used in the HGT. TBH I would rather have the Alfa but if one comes up crash damaged...

Dont forget the brakes & suspension. Power without handling and/or stopping is not much fun.

Back