General 0.9 very thirsty!

Currently reading:
General 0.9 very thirsty!

My Punto have been in accident, the insurance gave me a Fiat 500 0.9 85 for 3 weeks till my Punto is finish repair. I love the 500 engine is nippy & quiet fast for small engine but the biggest issue is fuel consumption. The officially is 74mpg, I drove total 344 miles in 3 weeks the car is 32,005 miles and the trip computer said 49 mpg I know it not really a accuracy, I would said the real mpg 44-46mpg:eek: that is big shock gap between real and the officially figures. Why would the Fiat make a false mpg to try fool people to buy this engine. I am sure the 1.2 would do mpg a lot better???

Looks like you averaged about 115 miles per week, so short journeys in the winter with a cold engine. 49mpg from a Twinair in these circumstances is pretty good. You’ll get a similar mismatch between reality and claimed mpg in any of the modern tiny turbo engines. On the plus side they are fun ��

Manufacturers MPG figures compared to real use figures are always a bone of contention and if you get anywhere near them then I would be very surprised, there are so many variables in the real world as opposed to the rolling road the manufactures get their figures from. Here are just a few, journey distances, ambient temperatures, altitude, maintainance level of engine, grade of oil, day/night use, and last but not least the driving style adopted by the driver(s).
Paul m.

I love the 500 engine is nippy & quiet fast for small engine but the biggest issue is fuel consumption. The officially is 74mpg, I drove total 344 miles in 3 weeks the car is 32,005 miles and the trip computer said 49 mpg I know it not really a accuracy, I would said the real mpg 44-46mpg:eek: that is big shock gap between real and the officially figures. Why would the Fiat make a false mpg to try fool people to buy this engine. I am sure the 1.2 would do mpg a lot better???

Nothing you've posted will come as news to any of the regulars here; if anything, I'd say you've done well to get into the mid 40's in mixed winter driving with a few short journeys thrown in.

Driven the same way, the 1.2 will return much the same figures as the TA; if you're driving for absolute economy, the 1.2 will likely do slightly better.

I'd agree completely that the official figures are misleading as they suggest the TA is more economical than the 1.2, and in the real world, it isn't.

All of this has been known about and posted on this forum since the time the first TA press vehicles hit the streets.

If your priority is economy, then I'd recommend the 1.2, as its engine is more suited to an ecodriving style. If your priority is having a fun-to-drive cheeky small car, then I'd recommend the TA every time, but you can neither buy one nor run one for 1.2 money; it will likely cost you more in servicing, unscheduled repairs and depreciation. Posts reporting an out-of-warranty engine issue on a 1.2 are very rarely seen here, but the same cannot be said for the TA and, whilst not exactly common, there have been issues with both turbochargers and the uniair valve control unit.

Last edited:
Our 1.2 averages 42 mpg all short trips mostly.

Journey type and driving style have a massive effect on fuel economy; it's simply impossible to predict what anyone is going to get just by looking at the manufacturer's official figures, or what's posted on forums.

If you're contemplating a new car purchase and this sort of thing is important to you, then I'd suggest you hire a similar model for a day (or even better, a weekend) and use it as you'd normally use a car. That should be enough to get a reasonably good idea of what you can expect (and it's also a good way to find out if you really like the car or not).

All cars will use more fuel when very new; it can take as much as 5,000 miles before the engine settles into a reasonably steady fuel economy figure, so be careful about reading too much into the results from a very low mileage vehicle. I saw 42mpg on the trip driving my Panda home from the dealership; the same journey done a few thousand miles later returned over 60mpg.

Last edited:
Quite interesting info all you gave me, Now I suggest 0.9 is alright on mpg but I reckon the 1.2 would be best has I have been drove on Punto 1.2 8V before average 47mpg.

Thanks for share info (y)

according to the onboard computer my 1.2 has squeezed 47.1 miles out of every gallon, over 1500 miles mainly on the open road with some town/roadworks thrown in for good measure
(my app tells me it's 44.3 in actual fact)

Mixed conditions in the twinair my average sits on 44.0mpg. Not to bad considering my foot has a bid of gravity to it on occasion.

Mixed conditions in the twinair my average sits on 44.0mpg. Not to bad considering my foot has a bid of gravity to it on occasion.

That's the only way to drive it ! Conservatively ....until some smart a*s comes past , then take the eco off and floor it ! It upsets people :) :slayer::devil:

Best I ever achieved on my mito twin air was 65mpg at 56mph. Under the two years my average was 38mpg. My abarth is at 32mpg with just town driving and i managed 47 on motorway. Sounds lime you were driving pretty economical to be honest.

I achieved 67 over a 30 mile trip once and 61 over a 250 mile, had to try pretty hard for the 67 but the 61 was easy and included long motorway stretches averaging around 70mph, figures all from the trip though. Typical everyday at the moment in the cold is around 44mpg

Last edited:
Sitting in the car park at Aldi bored waiting for the mother in law to do the weekly shop just looked at our consumption and it's 37mpg but the wife discovered the sport button and that's where it stays now lol ? + doing 6 miles a day and cold weather, but we didn't choose the twinair for fuel economy we thought it was the mid way between standard 500 and Abarth. ?

My 85TA gives me between 48 to 50 mpg in eco as my 25 mile round trip work run is all town roads. I'll keep it in normal this week and see if it makes any difference. In and out of different 500's all day, mainly 1.2's. I always check what mpg the dash says, usually around the mid to late 40's.

That's the only way to drive it ! Conservatively ....until some smart a*s comes past , then take the eco off and floor it ! It upsets people :) :slayer::devil:

??? Eco is only on when I'm trying to teach the other half how to drive and it does have a tendency to upset the occasional captain hero.

??? Eco is only on when I'm trying to teach the other half how to drive and it does have a tendency to upset the occasional captain hero.

I used to have a Panda Fire and on the way down to Portsmouth, I was always told to keep in the outside lane, past the Southampton turn offs. So I did. On one trip I passed a Daimler in the middle lane and he was not happy ! Two minutes later he passed me, I was doing 80 ish, so he must have been doing at least 90 ! He used more fuel overtaking me than I did for the round trip ! So satisfying :)

I have a 54 Punto 8v, love it!, I'm having a few minor ECU problems but it'll be fixed by Sunday, when it was at its best if went from Hull to Torquay on half a tank of fuel , that for any car is goos

My 85TA gives me between 48 to 50 mpg in eco as my 25 mile round trip work run is all town roads. I'll keep it in normal this week and see if it makes any difference. In and out of different 500's all day, mainly 1.2's. I always check what mpg the dash says, usually around the mid to late 40's.
Ok, last 4 days had it in non eco and mpg has been at 50. Better than in eco. Guess which mode its staying in now?

Back