0-80 calibrated testing - Continued! :)

Currently reading:
0-80 calibrated testing - Continued! :)

Re: But.....

I seem to remember someone making a post about the industry holding back diesel development until petrol had had its day...or something to that effect. The fact was that if the developers were to push forward with the technology now then petrol would be dead and buried very quickly ;)

Stephen

Agreed! I have read all of this and I must say Gaz I saw what you were saying before but now you're just making a fool of yourself....so stop....everyone!!!

Ben

the point about costs still remains. you get raped by petrol stations, insurance companies, anf the manufacturers when you buy a turbo petrol.

we're not all millionairres

Buzz (formerly LightWarrior)
The champion of the Bravo 1.4

Heres just a few of the times im trying to make my point (not inc deleted 1's of course) and I agree that every one for their own but when sum 1 is stating black is white and white is black then it gets on my T*ts! :)

"If you want something fast and tunable get a Turbo petrol car, If you want something to drive round in whilst wearing a flat cap and pulling a caravan get a diesel! simple as"

"But Back to the point im trying to make which is for a performance orientated car get a Petrol turbo."

"MY POINT (I WILL DO IT IN BOLD SO MAYBE YOU WONT MISS IT THIS TIME, WORK WITH ME PEOPLE) IS IF YOU WANT A CAR FOR A PERFORMANCE PERSPECTIVE (ESPECIALLY FOR TUNING) GET A PETROL TURBO! CARAVANERS GO DIESEL!"

"Please refer to my point stated numerous times in this forum before stating your dribble you pleb (o and if u check 0-60 on a fabia its 9.3seconds matey). Thanks"

Thanks and Im not mr Melon by the way!

ok so you say performance wise....does that mean top speed??? cause i see it that Turbo diesels have a lot higher torque than petrol turbo variants!!! so explain by performance, because as you know ...if you have torque then you dont need outright power because you wont be able to put that power down on the road!

Your being very stereotypical mate...

My stepfather drives a Grand Cherokee diesel and if you insinuated that he either wore a flat cap or indulged in caravaning you would very quickly find yourself in an emergency ward.

You can find the 1.8T VW engine in the Passat which if im not mistaken is very "Flat cappish and caravanny"

You just keep spouting the same drivel, blah blah blah.

End of the day, Diesels are cheaper to run, insure and in most cases have a hell of a lot more torque than any petrol equivalent.

Stephen

I have stated my point some many times now and i aswell as yourselves am entitled to my own opinion! But dont even go there on the putting power to the road post mr anon, You dont see many diesel race cars do you! a performance point of view is how fast you can get a car around a track which = race cars = which = petrol :)

So the basis for your argument is petrol cars go quicker? Thats really helpful going from 0-30 at the lights ;) Which due to the torque a diesel would do quicker thumbs up pal

Unless your going to be using that Clitoris as a race car....

Stephen

0-100 the turbodiesel will get you there faster. we dont race so being able to rev to 9000rpm and do 160mph is pretty useless. what we get with a turbodiesel is power we can actually use in the real world, on real roads.

Oh well, I tried to educate with some simple facts but alas our young Gaz can only argue with insults.

You win Gaz, you are the ultimate in knowledge of tuning cars, performance modifications and driving........

but one thing confuses me... with all your knowledge on performance and tuning.... why did you buy your Mums Clio off her?

"you are the ultimate in knowledge of tuning cars, performance modifications and driving........ "

Oi! Thats MY job!! :)

"You dont see many diesel race cars do you"

Err, a diesel LMP entered LeMans last year, there is an entire single make diesel race series in France, a fair few tin-top endurance racers are black smokers...

Not that common but they are slowly making an impact.

But they are still rattly smokey diesels ;)

lol, ladies and gentlemen, we see here today, for the first time, and probably the last, Tom, (sort of) making a diesel defense!

welcome to the dddddark side ;)

LOL! I have to admit it was quite funny watching last years LeMans and watching for the cloud of brown smoke from the diesel :)

If you look at engines in motorsport most are high revving non turbo petrol burners.

Weight is the main issue, diesels are still heavy due to the compression forces AND a turbo adds even more weight.

petrol vs diesel

Now then

I think Gaz is trying to make the point that petrol stock vs diesel stock that the petrol is always quicker for the same size engine. (stock ie none turbo or tuning)

now tuning potencial is pretty similar (ish....very ish here) from what i can see with cars with turbos, diesel or petrol this seems to be due to the way in which turbos affect the engine to produce the extra power.

petrol does produce more bhp for the size of the engine from what cars you see about and thus you have a bigger cc diesel to match a petrol, you also get them with turbo's to account for the fact that it is a diesel. ie the bravo td100 and the 1.8 hlx have similar bhp's and 0-60's but the td100 is a 1.9 engine in size.

The benefits of the diesel are is the fact that insurance companies think along the same lines ie a diesel with a turbo is normal and not in anyway linked with "racing" hence the insurance group is low. This then enables Skoda vrs buyers for example to pay insurance group 9 and get it tuned upto the spec of a car that should command a group 16 rating(non tuned/stock)and the mpg as far better

As Tom puts it a diesel engine is heavier than a petrol engine and hence will increase the weight of the car making it much less likely to be able to "beat" a petrol engine of the same size.

People are now getting turbo diesels and then tuning them without telling the insurnace company (which would find it difficult to find out) as a "back door" into the better performance car market without the insurnace costs and the obvious fuel costs

Re: petrol vs diesel

I have to agree totally with Gaz on this 1 as Disels are not as fast as petrols (come on guys you know it) but thats not saying diesels cant be fast (just not as fast). I have been reading this debate whilst its been going on and i have to admit i have been giggling at times :) brightened up my day!

Re: petrol vs diesel

Diesels can be as fast as petrols, and some cases are faster. Try taking a 2.2i-CTDi Accord or the 140bhp Vectra (and those are middle of the road oil burners). Even the Mondeo ST-TDCi at 155bhp pisses over a little french hot(warm !) hatch.

And all those are family saloons. A Fabia VRs or similar gives most a run for their money.

Face it children, oil burners are what you secretly lust after.

Oh, and I seem to remember the marshalls at Castle Coombe having to pick up their jaws after seeing Nige's 156 2.4 JTD Sportwagon do a few laps.

This thread is now locked, and any other threads started that follow the same immature tendencies and insults will be deleted.

Yes Gaz, that means you.