Register Login
iNETFX Domain Registration - COM/NET/ORG £6.50 a year!
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2016   #16
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 863
Thanks: 56
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: How to remove rust with just water.

Time elapsed is no big deal - connect it up, walk away and do something else for a few days.

Here's another option and you get the power supplies for electrolytic cleaning. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zinc-Elect...AAOSwtJZXWBS8l

Even the tiniest speck of rust will bubble up through paint. Zinc plating will stop it from continuing. Etch prime and paint over.
Likes Michael Dranfield liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by DaveMcT; 04-12-2016 at 01:46.
DaveMcT is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-12-2016   #17
Panda Fan
 
SB1500's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 1,431
Thanks: 49
Trader Rating: 0
SB1500 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: How to remove rust with just water.

OP, this is a bloody impressive bit of science. Thanks for sharing!!!
Likes Michael Dranfield liked this post
__________________
Fiat Panda | 2005 | 1.2 | Dynamic | Grey | 116,000 miles!
SB1500 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-12-2016   #18
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Buxton Derbyshire
Posts: 215
Thanks: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: How to remove rust with just water.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMcT View Post
Time elapsed is no big deal - connect it up, walk away and do something else for a few days.

Here's another option and you get the power supplies for electrolytic cleaning. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zinc-Elect...AAOSwtJZXWBS8l

Even the tiniest speck of rust will bubble up through paint. Zinc plating will stop it from continuing. Etch prime and paint over.
Absolutely correct,there is no point whatsoever rubbing down a pice of rusty metal with emery cloth and repainting because as you say one tiny spec of rust left will start to fester under the paint and before you know it rust is bubbling up again.
As soon as a part has been de rusted I wash it in clean water then immediately dry with a hot air paint stripper and paint with zinc galvanising primer , don't let the part air dry or paint it another day,it must be done immediately,bare metal can start to rust within a few hours in damp air.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Michael Dranfield; 05-12-2016 at 00:40.
Michael Dranfield is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-12-2016   #19
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: under the bonnet
Posts: 14,499
Thanks: 507
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: How to remove rust with just water.

Quote Originally Posted by varesecrazy View Post
hoping to do my brake hangers on the panda.., will do a bit of a before and after.,
Charlie
still promise to get around to do this - but a non-bendy leg has curtailed many car-related things
Likes Michael Dranfield liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 30-12-2016   #20
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: under the bonnet
Posts: 14,499
Thanks: 507
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: How to remove rust with just water.

Quote Originally Posted by varesecrazy View Post
still promise to get around to do this - but a non-bendy leg has curtailed many car-related things
Update
the panda is now back in service.. with rusty hangers..

but I've got another "challenging bit of rust" to deal with..,

@6mm stud x 25 mm long - stuck in a plastic housing ( that I don't want to wreck..)

I'm going to use a car battery that's lost a cell,
and a tub of oxfordshires finest tap water

with a couple of jumper cables..

lets see how things work out..

Charlie
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 30-12-2016   #21
Moderator
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Manchester
Posts: 4,148
Thanks: 57
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: How to remove rust with just water.

Quote Originally Posted by varesecrazy View Post
Update
the panda is now back in service.. with rusty hangers..

but I've got another "challenging bit of rust" to deal with..,

@6mm stud x 25 mm long - stuck in a plastic housing ( that I don't want to wreck..)

I'm going to use a car battery that's lost a cell,
and a tub of oxfordshires finest tap water

with a couple of jumper cables..

lets see how things work out..

Charlie
My bonnet has started to go rusty, there's only one bath I can think of that's big enough to cope with it and.....er.....actually forget that one. Mrs. Beard's face when confronted with a large metal panel de-rusting is one I don't really want to see.
Likes varesecrazy, Michael Dranfield liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

The Beard is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 31-12-2016   #22
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: under the bonnet
Posts: 14,499
Thanks: 507
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: How to remove rust with just water.

rusty panda bonnet.. just from stone chips.. or more widespread..??
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 31-12-2016   #23
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: How to remove rust with just water.

I got great results with malasas, cheap as chips and the bath works for 6months
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Robbyrob1273 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 31-12-2016   #24
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: How to remove rust with just water.

Two weeks in the solution and all rust had gone. I sprayed the bare metal after with zinc etch primer. It still looks spotless ready to weld or paint 6 months later.
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Robbyrob1273 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 31-12-2016   #25
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: under the bonnet
Posts: 14,499
Thanks: 507
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: How to remove rust with just water.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyrob1273 View Post
Two weeks in the solution and all rust had gone. I sprayed the bare metal after with zinc etch primer. It still looks spotless ready to weld or paint 6 months later.
Molasses..? sugary fluid
where did you buy it, and was it used as the sole fluid..??

Charlie
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 31-12-2016   #26
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: under the bonnet
Posts: 14,499
Thanks: 507
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: How to remove rust with just water.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dranfield View Post
Absolutely correct,there is no point whatsoever rubbing down a pice of rusty metal with emery cloth and repainting because as you say one tiny spec of rust left will start to fester under the paint and before you know it rust is bubbling up again.
As soon as a part has been de rusted I wash it in clean water then immediately dry with a hot air paint stripper and paint with zinc galvanising primer , don't let the part air dry or paint it another day,it must be done immediately,bare metal can start to rust within a few hours in damp air.
I'm using a car battery @8V ( lost a cell or 2) will use an old starter-charger if necessary

my idea is to use a 1" ( 25mm steel rod -as the anode)
as I can skim off the rusty surface for further attempts..

Bath will use water and a little dishwasher salt at first..,

as I'm starting with small items, they'll get an hour in the oven to bake dry before a flash of primer

Charlie
Likes Michael Dranfield liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by varesecrazy; 31-12-2016 at 15:08.
varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 31-12-2016   #27
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: How to remove rust with just water.

Check out the YouTube video this Australian guy has put up, it explains everything in detail and shows the results. I bought 5ltr bottles from a horse feed shop (it's used to flavour straw). I built a dip tank with pallets and a tarpaulin from diy shop. I dipped full doors, tailgate, engine lid plus loads of small parts. The tank was active for the whole summer with parts going through it. Saved me loads on parts and was great to weld straight after. The fluid goes inside and removes rust you can't get your fingers or tools near. Pity I can't post pictures.


Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Robbyrob1273 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 03-01-2017   #28
Moderator
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Manchester
Posts: 4,148
Thanks: 57
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: How to remove rust with just water.

Quote Originally Posted by varesecrazy View Post
rusty panda bonnet.. just from stone chips.. or more widespread..??
Alas it appears to be the dreaded Polish tin-worm, a very close relation to the Italian tin-worm. It's manifested itself in a couple of small bubbles on the leading edge of the bonnet, it's the bit that sits at about 45 degrees, just inboard of the N/S headlight.

Sadly there are some more on the N/S sill just ahead of the rear wheel arch. I've already had the lower edge of the tailgate done. The bodyshop owner said that two factors played a part in the corrosion:

1: The rubber bungs that are supposed to guide moisture out were probably doing more harm than good.

2: As per countless others I've heard go on about it on here, the supplying dealer drilled into the tailgate rather than use the nylon type grommits fitted for the purpose.
Likes Michael Dranfield, varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

The Beard is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Remove rust from chip guard along bottom edge of car michaelholls Punto (Mk2/2b) 9 05-08-2014 18:44
How do i remove rust? Eynonz Car Care 7 10-09-2010 22:22
any ideas how to remove rust "on top" of paintwork...:( big al FIAT Boo Archives 6 22-08-2008 14:28