Register Login
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2017   #1
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 56
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Changed springs now car is pulling to the left

I changed the springs on my Bravo T-Jet 2007 front and back, when I done the back the steering was fine and then the next day I done the front and now the car pulls to the left.

My first though was wheel alignment so I took it to quick fit and got the front wheels aligned, when I got the car back the steering wheel was off centre and the car was pulling even more to the left.

When I installed the new springs I installed new drop links too, they were about Half a inch bigger than the original ones, not sure if this would make a difference as they are only connected to the anti roll bar.

Does anyone know what could be happening? Any advice/Troubleshooting is appreciated
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Ozzy747 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-07-2017   #2
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Faringdon, Oxfordshire UK
Posts: 4,611
Thanks: 373
Trader Rating: 1
portland_bill has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Changed springs now car is pulling to the left

If changing the springs has caused the issue, you need to look at them again.
First, they should be the same length when removed, worth checking to ensure they are a 'pair'. How matched they are will depend on the quality of the manufacturer.
Next, are they seated properly top and bottom. There may be a right and wrong way up.
I don't know how the top mounts fit, but is it possible to fit them reversed, so one is correct, the other back-to-front?

The drop links should be same as removed. Why the longer ones? Was this a choice, or have you been supplied the wrong ones. Whilst it might be expected that longer ones might just place the anti-roll bar higher or lower, its movement may be restricted.

The wheel alignment may be showing correct now, but if the wheel is offset, they've adjusted one side only, so alignment will be wrong as soon as you turn the wheel. This has made diagnosis worse. Once you've checked all the above, go back and demand they do it properly, or get a refund and go to a proper garage.
__________________
13 years motor trade, 16 years motor industry. 13 years Driving Instructor & 6 years Fleet Trainer
Panda Alessi
portland_bill is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-07-2017   #3
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 56
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Changed springs now car is pulling to the left

Quote Originally Posted by portland_bill View Post
If changing the springs has caused the issue, you need to look at them again.
First, they should be the same length when removed, worth checking to ensure they are a 'pair'. How matched they are will depend on the quality of the manufacturer.
Next, are they seated properly top and bottom. There may be a right and wrong way up.
I don't know how the top mounts fit, but is it possible to fit them reversed, so one is correct, the other back-to-front?

The drop links should be same as removed. Why the longer ones? Was this a choice, or have you been supplied the wrong ones. Whilst it might be expected that longer ones might just place the anti-roll bar higher or lower, its movement may be restricted.

The wheel alignment may be showing correct now, but if the wheel is offset, they've adjusted one side only, so alignment will be wrong as soon as you turn the wheel. This has made diagnosis worse. Once you've checked all the above, go back and demand they do it properly, or get a refund and go to a proper garage.


He springs I fitted we're good quality ones from Germany, when I fitted the springs the right side went in no problem but the left side was wierd and the spring didn't fit in (righting up) so I revered that spring and it fit no problem, so I'll go back and reverse that spring and no fitting longer anti roll bars was not a choice they sent me 294mm ones instead of the recommended 290mm ones so I'll be replacing them when they send me the right ones hopfully this will fix the issue but I'll have to wait and see, I couldn't see how a reversed spring could cause this issue though as they are exactly the same length, unless you want to enlighten me ? Thanks for your reply
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Ozzy747 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-07-2017   #4
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 1,325
Thanks: 69
Trader Rating: 0
Romania 
Re: Changed springs now car is pulling to the left

Are we talking about the front spring?
Then did you make sure the top-mount is correctly aligned in the shock tower?
there is a small hole in both for alignment; this can centennially cause your problems.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

aurick86 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-07-2017   #5
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Faringdon, Oxfordshire UK
Posts: 4,611
Thanks: 373
Trader Rating: 1
portland_bill has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Changed springs now car is pulling to the left

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy747 View Post
He springs I fitted we're good quality ones from Germany, when I fitted the springs the right side went in no problem but the left side was wierd and the spring didn't fit in (righting up) so I revered that spring and it fit no problem, so I'll go back and reverse that spring and no fitting longer anti roll bars was not a choice they sent me 294mm ones instead of the recommended 290mm ones so I'll be replacing them when they send me the right ones hopfully this will fix the issue but I'll have to wait and see, I couldn't see how a reversed spring could cause this issue though as they are exactly the same length, unless you want to enlighten me ? Thanks for your reply
There are four parts to my post. Length, seating, top mount and right way up. I do not have specific knowledge of your model, so gave all things to check.
The post above confirms top mount might be an issue, look in the guides section for help to ensure both are the correct way around. It is also important to get the spring in its seating top and bottom correctly.
Some springs are 'banana' shaped, to compensate for them being offset from the direct travel of the wheel, getting that type wrong way up can cause fouling issues.
Some springs are progressively wound, designed to compress from one end rather than evenly. Wrong way up can change the way these compress.

Most likely issue is the top mount, but the longer tie rods may affect it. Check all the above to prevent revisiting. If they are both out together, stand them together to check length, then put something on top, to spread the load evenly, and apply weight. Check they compress evenly. Occasionally it is possible to get one weaker than the other.
__________________
13 years motor trade, 16 years motor industry. 13 years Driving Instructor & 6 years Fleet Trainer
Panda Alessi
portland_bill is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-07-2017   #6
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 76
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
Sweden 
Re: Changed springs now car is pulling to the left

Hi. I did change the springs, dampers and top mount this winter. I think it's almost impossible to put them in the wrong way that was my feeling any way. If you open the bonet and look where the top mount is seated you will see a little hole that schould line up with a hole on the top mount underneath.

/Thomas
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Thomaz27 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-07-2017   #7
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 56
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Changed springs now car is pulling to the left

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaz27 View Post
Hi. I did change the springs, dampers and top mount this winter. I think it's almost impossible to put them in the wrong way that was my feeling any way. If you open the bonet and look where the top mount is seated you will see a little hole that schould line up with a hole on the top mount underneath.

/Thomas


Yeah that's what I corrected first I made sure that little hole was correctly lined up through the little inspection hole, i am pretty sure it is impossible to reverse the top mounts without a lot of stuff totally misslining and stuff and yeah they can't be the problem, I'll revert the one spring on the left side and also get the drop links replaced, I found out my drop links are 305mm and should be 290mm so I'll change them once they get delivered. I'll do that at the same time as the spring to save a job
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Ozzy747 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-07-2017   #8
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 76
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
Sweden 
Re: Changed springs now car is pulling to the left

Actually my steering wheel was of centre for many years. I had it aliand many times over those years the guys that aliand it said it was correct but still the steering wheel was of centre. Then this winter I changed the inner and outer tie rod and after that like magic the steering was straight. This maybe don't affect you but the rods is cheap and easy to change.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Thomaz27 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-07-2017   #9
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 76
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
Sweden 
Re: Changed springs now car is pulling to the left

It was straight after alignment I mean
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Thomaz27 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Car pulling to left / sagging Urbex Grande Punto 13 28-01-2014 08:51
(T) Car pulling to the left welshy0007 Grande Punto 7 11-09-2013 22:08
(T) car pulling to left goffboy 500 45 12-08-2013 23:36
(G) Pulling to the left... ascott92 Bravo 10 16-08-2011 10:51
Fiat Panda HP 100 (car pulling to left) saintly8 Newbie Central 0 08-02-2011 12:57