Tuning 197bhp Abarth 500!!

Currently reading:
Tuning 197bhp Abarth 500!!

This is by no means unique to this guy. I've wondered about this many times. Why is everyone selling a car on the Internet illiterate? Is it really that hard to read the badge and type that into the ad?

This is by no means unique to this guy. I've wondered about this many times. Why is everyone selling a car on the Internet illiterate? Is it really that hard to read the badge and type that into the ad?

Can be a good thing on ebay though with people mispelling stuff as it means not as many people see it and it can go for less if it's an auction.

I also don't quite get why you'd want that much power in a 500. Get a Punto Evo Abarth or GPA as it'll be much better at putting the power down and making use of it.

You won't get 55mpg out of an Abarth over any sort of distance, least of all if it's even delivering close to 300bhp. Also ~300bhp out of a 1.4 turbo is not going to last long....
Well i should have stated that it's highly tuned, re bored to a 1.5/1.6 litre, different turbo etc etc not much standard left! This was the figure he got when he drove it back from Germany to the UK. As for lasting long, we are all taking guesses at what goes first! But it's holding up well so far. Amazing car, looks pretty standard from the outside too, i think the 0-60 time is 4.9 as well! :)

Well i should have stated that it's highly tuned, re bored to a 1.5/1.6 litre, different turbo etc etc not much standard left! This was the figure he got when he drove it back from Germany to the UK. As for lasting long, we are all taking guesses at what goes first! But it's holding up well so far. Amazing car, looks pretty standard from the outside too, i think the 0-60 time is 4.9 as well! :)

Again I would take all of these figures with a bag of salt. Some people like to time their 0-60 runs with a stop watch which is just woefully inaccurate and he may have been going off the onboard computer which with the engine being bored out might not be the most accurate.

Engine rebored to 1500cc
G-Tech Roller bearing Turbo
9.4:1 Forged pistons
Cryo treated, balanced & polished conrods
Larger fuel injectors
Two larger intercoolers
Silicone boost tubes
Sports air filter
Exhaust system straight through no silencers, 200 cell sports cat
Replacement fuel pressure regulator
Custom G-Tech ECU
Stronger clutch
Single Mass Flywheel
Iridium Spark Plugs
Custom ground camshafts
Ported Cylinder Head
Exhaust temperature gauge
Quaife LSD
Brembo 4 piston brake system with 305mm front brake discs
KW Variant 3 coilovers

288 hp / 299 ft lbs torque

Graphs and images on can be found on Pistonheads.

Again I would take all of these figures with a bag of salt. Some people like to time their 0-60 runs with a stop watch which is just woefully inaccurate and he may have been going off the onboard computer which with the engine being bored out might not be the most accurate.
I'm pretty sure he timed it professionally spending the money he did on it! It was probably timed on a dyno, which i know can be inaccurate too, but it's a damn site more reliable than a stopwatch i'd say! I think given the power/weight ratio, it's a fair time, a Lotus Exige S for example has roughly the same power and is slightly lighter, and has a 0-60 time of just over 4 secs. It's not unrealistic :)

I'm pretty sure he timed it professionally spending the money he did on it! It was probably timed on a dyno, which i know can be inaccurate too, but it's a damn site more reliable than a stopwatch i'd say! I think given the power/weight ratio, it's a fair time, a Lotus Exige S for example has roughly the same power and is slightly lighter, and has a 0-60 time of just over 4 secs. It's not unrealistic :)

*shakes head*

A dyno will not show the difference in traction between a FWD and RWD car. An Exige would murder an Abarth off the line then circle around an take a dump on it.

*shakes head*

A dyno will not show the difference in traction between a FWD and RWD car. An Exige would murder an Abarth off the line then circle around an take a dump on it.

I'd happily play with either though ;)

*shakes head*

No you misread what i typed, i said he probably timed it on a dyno, to get to 0-60 time, nothing to do with traction.

I think you'd be quite surprised by the Abarths performance on track, i know people who have done track days and kept up with an Elise (similar power to standard A500/SS) if not beat it, so i reckon a 288 BHP version of the A500 might be good competition for an Exige! Would be good to see anyway :)

No you misread what i typed, i said he probably timed it on a dyno, to get to 0-60 time, nothing to do with traction.

I think you'd be quite surprised by the Abarths performance on track, i know people who have done track days and kept up with an Elise (similar power to standard A500/SS) if not beat it, so i reckon a 288 BHP version of the A500 might be good competition for an Exige! Would be good to see anyway :)

It's you that has misread things. As I said on a Dyno it won't show up the fact that because of weight transfer a FWD car will be slower to 60 than a RWD car.

Without trying to upset anybody, there is no way a properly driven Elise, even an early low powered one, will bo out oerformed by an Abath 500, even one with 200bhp.

Without trying to upset anybody, there is no way a properly driven Elise, even an early low powered one, will bo out oerformed by an Abath 500, even one with 200bhp.
Exactly what i was thinking. Either people lie, or the Elise's are driven by track day students etc. Although the A500 did beat the Elise on Top Gear's track, but i believe it was a wet lap! I raced an Exige the other day, i lost, but it took him longer than i thought to overtake! :eek:

Back