General Terrible mpg

Currently reading:
General Terrible mpg

Th3cpt

I’ve got a 1.6 multijet 2015 fiat doblo and just drove an 8 hour journey 99% motorway on a warm day and averaged 40mpg is this normal?

I’ve got a 1.6 multijet 2015 fiat doblo and just drove an 8 hour journey 99% motorway on a warm day and averaged 40mpg is this normal?

Hi,🙂

lots of variables..

Empty VAN vs loaded WAV

Motorways, some are flat.. Some are hilly

Some people drive at 80 some nearer 60

40 odd MPG is not "wrong".., BUT could be in the 50's

A regular on here had that "Van engine" in a Punto..
42 was normal for them IIRC.. even with its 6 speed box
(I was looking at buying one..) But that was LOW compared to the 1248cc diesels doing 60/70 MPG

Hi,🙂

lots of variables..

Empty VAN vs loaded WAV

Motorways, some are flat.. Some are hilly

Some people drive at 80 some nearer 60

40 odd MPG is not "wrong".., BUT could be in the 50's

A regular on here had that "Van engine" in a Punto..
42 was normal for them IIRC.. even with its 6 speed box
(I was looking at buying one..) But that was LOW compared to the 1248cc diesels doing 60/70 MPG
Thanks for getting back to me, it’s probs 1/3 loaded and was Glasgow to Stafford n back, bit hilly I guess. Was averaging probs about 65
Just seems rubbish, rather disappointed, bought it hopping for more like 60 in that scenario, guess the main thing is this can be normal and not something sinister.

My 2010 1.6 Doblo Maxi van just running locally shows 43mpg roughly including short dual carriageway at 60mph and I am someone who knows what the right hand pedal is for, I used to get 12mpg from a Ford Zephyr and 18 mpg from an MGB;).
Mine doesn't have a DPF, but has done 125k miles roughly.
Any chance your DPF is part blocked?

@AndyRKett

May disprove my above theory.. 🤔
I didn’t find it a very efficient engine, I’d regularly get 52-55mph running 30-50 miles back and forth to work. At different sites.

That was with just me in the car and no weight, so I could see in a van shaped box with a load in the back and then up and down hills in the north of England then that could very quickly dive down into the 40s. Especially if it’s a 5 speed box and a heavy footed driver.

My 2010 1.6 Doblo Maxi van just running locally shows 43mpg roughly including short dual carriageway at 60mph and I am someone who knows what the right hand pedal is for, I used to get 12mpg from a Ford Zephyr and 18 mpg from an MGB;).
Mine doesn't have a DPF, but has done 125k miles roughly.
Any chance your DPF is part blocked?
Thank you could be just that, do you think some dpf cleaner will do the trick or should I get it into the pros?

I didn’t find it a very efficient engine, I’d regularly get 52-55mph running 30-50 miles back and forth to work. At different sites.

That was with just me in the car and no weight, so I could see in a van shaped box with a load in the back and then up and down hills in the north of England then that could very quickly dive down into the 40s. Especially if it’s a 5 speed box and a heavy footed driver.
It’s 6 speed, 2015 and o lay done 65k miles, I probs over exaggerated saying it was 1/3 loaded and I certainly don’t have a heavy foot, bit of a grandpa driver. Still think that could be totally normal? What about what bugsyMike was saying about the dpf, think that could have anything to do with it? Thanks for your reply and time appreciate it

The DPF is designed to catch soot when driving around at low speed then burn it off on a longer run. So I would expect the longer drive you did would have cleared any build up of soot.

There are so many variables, such as weather, tires, tracking aircon on or windows open etc etc, I’d say you should get more than 40mpg but why it was so low is anyone’s guess.

The DPF is designed to catch soot when driving around at low speed then burn it off on a longer run.
There are so many variables, such as weather, tires, tracking aircon on or windows open etc etc, I’d say you should get more than 40mpg but why it was so low is anyone’s guess.
🙂
Doing a Regen probably uses additional fuel.. 🤔

What has the servicing been like?

Sounds like you've not had it long
@Th3cpt

🙂
Doing a Regen probably uses additional fuel.. 🤔

What has the servicing been like?

Sounds like you've not had it long
@Th3cpt
Had it just over a year, few things I’m not too happy going on with it to be honest.
Has a full service history n was serviced like 8000 miles ago, just about to do another one, with fuel filter as well. I did use cheaply oil last time, going to use better stuff this time.

Air con that's used for most of a journey is a Fuel eater. If only used sparingly.

You would hardly notice the difference. Driving on side lights on a long motorway journey is more efficient than dipped or main beam head lights.

Maybe, was one or more of your tyres deflated????

The DPF is designed to catch soot when driving around at low speed then burn it off on a longer run. So I would expect the longer drive you did would have cleared any build up of soot.

Thanks hopefully servicing it will make a difference.
Air con that's used for most of a journey is a Fuel eater. If only used sparingly.

You would hardly notice the difference. Driving on side lights on a long motorway journey is more efficient than dipped or main beam head lights.

Maybe, was one or more of your tyres deflated????
windows were closed and air con off on way down, tyres have good tread and psi checked before going. One window was open on back up but was 50/50 on fuel as far as I could see don’t think it made much of a difference, lights were also off the whole time, radio was barely even on

Thank you could be just that, do you think some dpf cleaner will do the trick or should I get it into the pros?
Unless you are getting warning signs about the DPF or you see signs of it trying to do a Regen, then I wouldn't worry too much in that direction apart from every now and again put a little DPF cleaner additive in the tank when filling up. My daughters 2010 VW Golf plus definitely benefits from that as if not done it brings the light on, though most of her driving is town work.
Another thing to check if it is trying to do a Regen as has been mentioned re fuel, also that can cause the engine oil to smell of diesel, if so an oil change is advisable if that is the case.
Trouble is modern diesels are not designed for stop/start town work, something older ones excelled at!
My Doblo is 6 speed also.
Identical vehicles can vary, I had two LDV 200 diesel vans, the first was an ex Parts delivery for Wadham Kenning, it went well and could do 42mpg on a fairly fast trip loaded and not even a modern turbo, ECU controlled etc. The other one was gutless and not economical at all and was an ex Electricity Board van, no obvious solutions to he reason why.

It has never seems to regen. N ye reset the dash.
If you have some form of diagnostic tool it may tell you if it needs or has recently done as Regen, depending on use if mostly higher dual carriageway speeds fully warmed up it may be OK for a long time. Town use is more of a problem.:(

Unless you are getting warning signs about the DPF or you see signs of it trying to do a Regen, then I wouldn't worry too much in that direction apart from every now and again put a little DPF cleaner additive in the tank when filling up. My daughters 2010 VW Golf plus definitely benefits from that as if not done it brings the light on, though most of her driving is town work.
Another thing to check if it is trying to do a Regen as has been mentioned re fuel, also that can cause the engine oil to smell of diesel, if so an oil change is advisable if that is the case.
Trouble is modern diesels are not designed for stop/start town work, something older ones excelled at!
My Doblo is 6 speed also.
Identical vehicles can vary, I had two LDV 200 diesel vans, the first was an ex Parts delivery for Wadham Kenning, it went well and could do 42mpg on a fairly fast trip loaded and not even a modern turbo, ECU controlled etc. The other one was gutless and not economical at all and was an ex Electricity Board van, no obvious solutions to he reason why.
Thanks, doing oil change this week will check for smell of diesel. Maybe my vans just a gutless one. Not what I was hoping for when I bought it, at least that way they’re is nothing sinister going on, although I have suspicions due to other things going on with it.

Back