Technical Timing

Currently reading:
Technical Timing

gr0mit

Hi all
Have put my fiorino 1.3 multijet 2008 in fifth gear and clamped a piece of wood against brake pedal in an effort to lock timing whilst removing crankshaft bolt .Have now realised with belts off the crank is turning front wheels so gearbox not stopping any thing and brake too slack. If crankshaft is turning whilst in gear also wheels will I have damaged timing ?
Many thanks hope someone can advise

Well you have done the correct thing stopping now.

With a bit of luck crank not turned too far to damage valves.

Re time the crank /cam gently buy turn crank forward only if necessary. Refit belt.

Only then remove crank pulley bolt.

Do not use new belt if that's what you are up to until ready to compete job.

Re time the crank /cam gently buy turn crank forward only if necessary. Refit belt.

Hi jackwhoo thank you for your reply . Have definitely cocked up timing am getting p0340 error off the diagnostic. Indicating a camshaft sensor error.
I believe the error is going to turn out to be a jumped chain . Van will start after many attempts and runs rough as rats.
I have purchased new chain anyway. Van has done 80,000 + miles.
Finally the question is.
Is there any way of inspecting chain before pulling apart. ?
Unfortunately the chain cover plug at top is siezed in and star drive internal torx t55 rounded off.
Any advice please . BTIA gromit

Hi jackwhoo thank you for your reply . Have definitely cocked up timing am getting p0340 error off the diagnostic. Indicating a camshaft sensor error.
I believe the error is going to turn out to be a jumped chain . Van will start after many attempts and runs rough as rats.
I have purchased new chain anyway. Van has done 80,000 + miles.
Finally the question is.
Is there any way of inspecting chain before pulling apart. ?
Unfortunately the chain cover plug at top is siezed in and star drive internal torx t55 rounded off.
Any advice please
BTIA gromit

Sorry to hear that.

You are going to have to take it apart to fix it so it would be foolish not to for a new chain kit now.

So you can progress with a clear mind.

Best wishes

Jack

Big thanks . You agree with what I thought no repair possible without minimum chain refit . I am expecting the worst. Hoping for the best. ,.Will post my progress

Fat fiorino 2008 1.3 multijet diesel 80,000 miles on clock
Hi All
More dilemma with my timing chain replacement
I have realized no room for cam locking tool between the inlet manifold and the camlock position when fitting it at rear of engine .
I have read some info on internet where camlock fitted to front of engine only ?
As it happens, i also whilst doing chain am going to fit new inlet manifold.

Will i have problems timing up with cam lock on front only and no inlet manifold . ?
Please Advise
BTIA gromit

Back