Technical DRL replacement issue

Currently reading:
Technical DRL replacement issue

StanZlatan

Hello guys. I am really dissapointed with capitalistic dealers of our age. The daytime lights bulb holder have black marks and burns bulb basic connections. It melts them. So i think it is faulty but to replace it they want me to pay 40 plus paunds for whole set.
So if i want both replaced imagine the insanity. That wont do. I already put request for 2 breaker sites but I read here that you can replace with led. I recall replacing my side blinkers with led ones and i am super duper happy with them. Sit there not giving me trouble for 3 years.
Can i duplicate this operation for the daytime lights? Asked the operators at autodoc to give me appropiate replacement but she was dumb dead and blind struck and said they dont sell.
Would it be too much to point me to exact product? Original bulbs work as corrected 12 volt and 5 watts

Attachments

• IMG20240409161246.jpg
    IMG20240409161246.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Ok i have corrected it thanks for that info. I am looking for led replacement but it appears i can only replace the bulbs not the drl. Is that right and if so how to get just the drl piece for not 40 pounds because it is silly to charge so much for such a small simple trnsformer

Ok i have corrected it thanks for that info. I am looking for led replacement but it appears i can only replace the bulbs not the drl. Is that right and if so how to get just the drl piece for not 40 pounds because it is silly to charge so much for such a small simple trnsformer
So I am assuming you wish to replace the whole light fitting - here is the AutoDoc part number for my 4x4 TA https://www.autodoc.co.uk/hd-karosserieteile/8010341#daytime-running-light as you point out approx 40 pounds.

And here's the Shop4Parts listing (regular and 4x4)

1712777806439.png

At risk of kicking off the whole non original equipment LEDs are not road legal here's the warning for an Osram P21/5W LED replacement (white light - be aware that you can get red LED in this format for rear stop/taillight)

1712777579319.png

Take special note of the CanBus error - this would drive me crazy...

Recalling an earlier post about there only being two wires: The DRL light has a dual filament bulb, but only uses one of them (the 21W one). To make the bulb run dimmer (as side or parking lights), the CanBus system (or body computer) reduces the voltage, making the 21W filament less bright. It does this by ‘chopping’ the power — basically flashing it on and off very quickly. With a filament you don’t see this because it stays glowing a brief time after the power is lost. But an instantly-responding LED will flicker.

The problem of burned out contacts is often caused by poor soldering of the end connections to the bulb, which adds resistance and as a result, gets hot. Replacing the bulb with a new one should cure that problem.

No i change the second bulb this month and it keeps getting melted. My oppinion is thatthe bulb holder has stopped reducing the watts to 5. Also the pin on right side is completely black and now i saw it starts to crack so the dashboard light comes on. I see loads of led enemy here but there is a reason led lights are the future and popular. These bulbs give grief to no end and are a reason to rob you off for no logical reason other then to pay for someones yaht.

Attachments

• IMG-20240409-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20240409-WA0004.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 15
So I am assuming you wish to replace the whole light fitting - here is the AutoDoc part number for my 4x4 TA https://www.autodoc.co.uk/hd-karosserieteile/8010341#daytime-running-light as you point out approx 40 pounds.

And here's the Shop4Parts listing (regular and 4x4)

View attachment 442948

At risk of kicking off the whole non original equipment LEDs are not road legal here's the warning for an Osram P21/5W LED replacement (white light - be aware that you can get red LED in this format for rear stop/taillight)

View attachment 442947

Take special note of the CanBus error - this would drive me crazy...
Most grevious news indeed. Seems like a big project so i have to give up on that idea and go back to looking for the bulb holder only. Is paying 40 pounds on ebay for one the only option in uk?

No i change the second bulb this month and it keeps getting melted. My oppinion is thatthe bulb holder has stopped reducing the watts to 5. Also the pin on right side is completely black and now i saw it starts to crack so the dashboard light comes on. I see loads of led enemy here but there is a reason led lights are the future and popular. These bulbs give grief to no end and are a reason to rob you off for no logical reason other then to pay for someones yaht.
The later cars (4x4 Cross I believe) do use LED DRL but their system is designed for these - I do not believe you can add them to your (older car). Can you clean up the bulb holder and use some dielectric grease that may help the situation? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364099566279

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back