Technical Alternator only starts generating after revving

Currently reading:
Technical Alternator only starts generating after revving

NigelVan said:
"Yes, this works and starts the alternator. But I tried it with just 12V, no lamp in between. Through the multimeter it didn't work, it is faulty (probably blown fuse), but I will try again with another one. The problem with this fix is that I will not get a warning light when the alternator fails in the future because there will always be 12V on the"

If you use a panel lamp and put it in the dash you will get a failure indication. At the moment you are looking at a BCM replacement / repair.
A direct connection is not ideal as it might damage the regulator. It won't work with the DMM on volts because it will not pass enought current. You could use a a LED with two resistors and a diode.

Robert.
True about the lamp, that would be a good fix in the end. But I'm not sure we should look at the BCM yet. Since it does detect on the D+ that the alternator doesn't run and puts on the warning light, and puts out a steady 9.5V leads me to believe the pin is working like it should. Btw the DMM was put in current mode and connected the right way. I just tested it with a small battery and it doesn't conduct, my other DMM does conduct so I guess it also has a problem. But one at a time ;).

D+ is only checked at start up for integrity

If the BSI pin isn't below 4.5V at start up the body computer will see this as a fault. On the bravo for example, it switches the EPS steering off to conserve power and a few other random things

If you feed 12V there permanently it will output at its maximum 100% of the time,

Unlike old alternators it was never designed to do this, it's unlikely to be a problem around town, there will also be a fuel consumption penalty, how much and what other effects are who knows

What volts are at B+ while cranking

It is an "old" alternator but with the BCM taking the place of a charge indicator filiment bulb

The BCM doesn't control the alternator in any way.

In this case the BCM is failing to give the alternator any excitation current at start up or turn the charge light on.

D+ is only checked at start up for integrity

If the BSI pin isn't below 4.5V at start up the body computer will see this as a fault. On the bravo for example, it switches the EPS steering off to conserve power and a few other random things

If you feed 12V there permanently it will output at its maximum 100% of the time,

Unlike old alternators it was never designed to do this, it's unlikely to be a problem around town, there will also be a fuel consumption penalty, how much and what other effects are who knows

What volts are at B+ while cranking
Hey Koalar, I think it behaves a bit differently on this type of alternator. I don't know what the BCM does when the D+-pin stays above 4.5V (open circuit) but I do see it will put on the battery charging warning light after a minute or so of running without seeing D+ rise to 12+V. Putting 12V on there will not influence the output of the alternator. From the moment it's running the field coil off its own power it will output the B+ voltage to D+ as well. So you will get 14V at the D+ pin (give or take) so putting 12V on it doesn't do anything since the potential is lower on that end.

I do agree on the fact that putting straight 12V on the D+ to get it going is not the right way to do it. I'll get a reading on the B+ while cranking but the battery was quite low with the engine running off the battery around 11.8V. But I did leave it running for a bit once the alternator got going...

It is an "old" alternator but with the BCM taking the place of a charge indicator filiment bulb

The BCM doesn't control the alternator in any way.

In this case the BCM is failing to give the alternator any excitation current at start up or turn the charge light on.
Yes indeed it's an old style 'dumb' alternator. The only thing the BCM does is raise the idle rpm in case the D+ signal stays low, puts on the battery charging light when that doesn't help after a few moments...
Either the BCM is failing to provide enought current OR there is a fault in the windings somewhere that doesn't allow the alternator to get going on its usual amount of power from the BCM through D+.

Power the L terminal via a 1.2w bulb if the alternator behaves as it should then you have proved BCM fault or it's wiring.

The 1.2w bulb should go out when alternator starts charging.

You could also try the 1.2w bulb between wire from BCM and ground. See if it lights when ignition on.

Power the L terminal via a 1.2w bulb if the alternator behaves as it should then you have proved BCM fault or it's wiring.

The 1.2w bulb should go out when alternator starts charging.
Thanks, I don't know if I have such a lamp but a 120ohm resistor should do just fine too then.

I had a "posh " car with a fantastic 5cylinder engine, BCM controlled alternator, a random flat battery followed a week later by beep -message on dash "alternator fault" and charge light on...... message and charge light went off after a few mins. Great I can get home, 40mins later on lane 3 of m5 total shutdown down due to flat battery!

Coasted to within 5meters of being off mway at next exit....walk into town , bought a battery , walked back to car fitted battery . All before rac arrived . Drove the 95 miles home in the dark hoping battery would hold out-it did.

Replaced voltage regulator on alternator fixed.

That wouldn't have happened with a filliment bulb charge light..... the light would have stayed on and I could have decided what course of action I wanted to pursue.

Apologies for long post, I hope jock sees it (-:

Got rid of " posh car" and purchased multipla 😂

Thanks for the alert Jack. I'm enjoying reading this but really can't think of anything to add - you seem to have thought of some stuff that didn't occur to me - but I'm not strong on more modern electrics - Very happy to work with the likes of the old ACR alternators though. my new Scala has "smart" charging and does "clever" stuff like regenerative charging. All controlled via electronic control modules so I would guess it'll flag up trouble codes if malfunctioning. All getting beyond me now though, she'll be going to AVW if anything like this goes wrong. I think there's stuff which can only be done when the main factory computer is linked, through the garage computer, with the vehicle. The time would seem to have arrived when I'm admitting that Becky and my old horticultural machines and, from time to time, an old British motorcycle are probably enough for me.

A Ducato alternator can be had new for £100.

You should just buy one and fit it. If it doesn't fix the problem return it.

(I've not read this thread properly).

Ha ha ha

It is not the alternator

Apart form the fact that the alternator has been ruled out as the problem, very few, if any suppliers will accept a part like an alternator back after it has been fitted.
It's unreasonable to expect a motor factor to act as an unpaid subsitution test part supplier......

Apart form the fact that the alternator has been ruled out as the problem, very few, if any suppliers will accept a part like an alternator back after it has been fitted.
It's unreasonable to expect a motor factor to act as an unpaid subsitution test part supplier......
Agreed. Non of the factors - or other sources of parts - that I know of around here will take back parts like this once the packaging has been opened. I notice a lot of packaging now has security seals - the last couple of brake disc sets I've bought have had seals like this on them. Not had to return any yet but I did wonder if they'd take them back with the seal broken? Surely they would if they were wrong and you'd not fitted them? (ie. in unmarked condition.) A few times in the past I've had to accept something like an air filter where the box has obviously been opened with one or two dirty finger marks on it - but containing a nice clean filter inside - Not often though, and if the factor had not been a good friend and it was the only one he had on the shelf and it was obviously in as new condition, I'd probably have refused it. However it's not a good way to be conducting business.

The time would seem to have arrived when I'm admitting that Becky and my old horticultural machines and, from time to time, an old British motorcycle are probably enough for me.
Having said that I've noticed that the Scala - Bluey as my granddaughter has named her - has developed a slight brake squeal from the O/S/R brake when braking very lightly. Doesn't do it when braking normally, just when very lightly braking in slow moving traffic. Of course the pads will have been assembled "dry" at the factory and, with so few miles on her it may well be them just bedding in, but if it continues I'll be whipping the caliper off, glaze busting the pads and reassembling with a little ceramic anti-seize. I'm not so decrepit I can't manage simple stuff like that yet although I must admit I'm finding it harder to lift stuff like the modern big wheels into place on the hub and get a bolt started in it's hole! You may remember I mentioned that I took a wheel off to try it for fit in the spare wheel well and found it already partly seized to the hub? - electrolytic corrosion between the wheel (ally) and hub (steel) - I need to take all the wheels off, clean the mating faces up and refit with some anti-seize which I could do at the same time I'm cleaning up the pads.

Talking about finding it hard to now support wheels in place while trying to get fixing bolts started on their threads, anyone know where I can buy locating bolts for wheel fitting? I'm talking about those long slightly tapering studs you screw into a couple of the wheel bolt holes before offering the wheel up to the hub. Then, after getting a couple of fixing bolts in place, you remove the two locating studs and fit the rest of the bolts. I've known about these things for years but never felt the need for them until now. An elderly mechanic friend told me to try using a piece of long wood under the tyre and using it to lever the tyre/wheel up until it's in line with the hub. It works but the wheel tries to roll off the piece of wood so you need to use both hands, one for the wooden lever and one to steady the wheel, which, of course, leaves you needing a third hand to fit the bolts!

Ha ha ha

It is not the alternator

Car alternators take a lot of punishment both from high revs and high currents. This one is 7 years old. I've seen alternators that only work at high revs per min because they're faulty.

Has this alternator been tested independantly and thoroughly off the car across the full range of revs?

Having said that I've noticed that the Scala - Bluey as my granddaughter has named her - has developed a slight brake squeal from the O/S/R brake when braking very lightly. Doesn't do it when braking normally, just when very lightly braking in slow moving traffic. Of course the pads will have been assembled "dry" at the factory and, with so few miles on her it may well be them just bedding in, but if it continues I'll be whipping the caliper off, glaze busting the pads and reassembling with a little ceramic anti-seize. I'm not so decrepit I can't manage simple stuff like that yet although I must admit I'm finding it harder to lift stuff like the modern big wheels into place on the hub and get a bolt started in it's hole! You may remember I mentioned that I took a wheel off to try it for fit in the spare wheel well and found it already partly seized to the hub? - electrolytic corrosion between the wheel (ally) and hub (steel) - I need to take all the wheels off, clean the mating faces up and refit with some anti-seize which I could do at the same time I'm cleaning up the pads.

Talking about finding it hard to now support wheels in place while trying to get fixing bolts started on their threads, anyone know where I can buy locating bolts for wheel fitting? I'm talking about those long slightly tapering studs you screw into a couple of the wheel bolt holes before offering the wheel up to the hub. Then, after getting a couple of fixing bolts in place, you remove the two locating studs and fit the rest of the bolts. I've known about these things for years but never felt the need for them until now. An elderly mechanic friend told me to try using a piece of long wood under the tyre and using it to lever the tyre/wheel up until it's in line with the hub. It works but the wheel tries to roll off the piece of wood so you need to use both hands, one for the wooden lever and one to steady the wheel, which, of course, leaves you needing a third hand to fit the bolts!
I can relate to a lot of the content above. To assist locating wheels on my Ducato, I raided my plumbing suppliea and made up a long "U" shapped assembly. The sides were 15mm stainless steel tube, the end (handle) 15mm copper, and two 15mm brass elbows glued and set screwed to the stainless steel completed the assembly. I later considered long bolts with heads removed for our Saab, which has M12 studs. When researching long bolts I discovered wheel mounting aids on Ebay. Examples here.

During lockdown, I struggled to remove the rear wheels from our Skoda Fabia. After banging on unbolted wheel rims with length of wood and lump hammer, I resorted to slackening wheel bolts by about 1/2 turn each and taking a short drive around local country lanes. I was entering the last leg when I heard satisfyng noises from the rear!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back