Technical X19 engine transplant Q's

Currently reading:
Technical X19 engine transplant Q's

bmwmike

I was reading the post on x19 engine swaps and was swayed in opinion towards the uno turbo transplant I was just wondering if anyone has done the swap and took some photos of the stages.

I’m also interested in the cost of the whole thing I’ve got a bit of money but not much for engine and swap I would be doing most the work myself as I can spin a few spannas. Basically its:

- cost of the uno engine and can I get one in Australia
- What’s a average price to do the whole swap?
- does the engine/exhaust etc drop right in or will I have to notch the body to fit it in (as I want to use it as a street car and eat some rice boys)
- gear box does the uno motor bolt up to the x19 (1500) gearbox or will that have to be changed as well

I'm sure iwill think if more questions but ill write em down and see if the search button will answer them for me

Just quickly as I have to get to work in a few minutes.

The Uno was sold in NZ so you should be able to track one down relatively easily. Price is a matter of luck - just make sure it is an early 1300 and not one of the later engines. Try and get the entire front hub assembly as the front brakes are a nice upgrade too but you need the carriers not just the calipers.
You have to make your own exhaust but the manifold and downpipes are suitable and can be reused.
The gearbox casing on the earlier Uno's is the same as the X1/9 (on the outside) so you can use either gearbox but you need to modify the X1/9 bellhousing to accept the crank position sensor and the Uno bellhousing has the gear linkage on the wrong side.

Average price depends entirely on how much you want to do yourself. It really is hard to put a figure down on paper.

I'm considering exactly the same conversion at the moment... uno turbo engine into an X1/9. Why must it be the earlier 1300 unit? I know the 1300 gearbox is (internally) similar to the X1/9 unit, but I was under the impression that the later 1400 unit will also fit, and that the gearbox internals (related to tipo?) can also be made to work, it's just a little harder, but worth it as the 1400 box is stronger than the 1300 one.

Then of course there's the driveshafts issue. Is there a resource somewhere that I can go off and read so that I don't ask silly questions (like, possibly, the one above!)

The 1400 engine is basically the same as far as the block is concerned but that is as far as it goes. The punto style gearbox internals are not really compatible with the earlier gearbox - I don't know of anyone who has succeeded in using them. Just adopting the gearbox is possible but again an awful lot of hardwork not least of all because the gear linkage is on the wrong side.

There used to be a website titled the "great uno turbo conversion" but I think it is long gone although there may be copies of it still around.

The best option I have found is the Punto GT3 engine in conjunction with Mk1 Uno Turbo gearbox internals in an X1/9 5 speed housing. You'd need the flywheel from the Uno Turbo in order to fit the clutch in the bellhousing. There are all sorts of bits and pieces that need to be mixed and matched but ultimately it can be done.

Good luck on your project.
If you find that it is going to cost a fortune you may want to consider a Hayabusa motor for converson.

I am somewhat sure that I am the only one that has done the motor swap. But I can tell you that it really was not all that hard to put a 300-600bhp motor that weighs less that stock in the X. It also shifts clutchless at wide open throttle (push button six speed)

A stock motor will cost around 4Kusd
A complete turbo motor 250-600hp will cost between 8-10K+

Cost for conversion less motor.....
around 2K.

I would like to see someone else do a busa conversion someday.
While it is true that the motor swap for me will end up costing around 11K (I have two motors.....a turbo and non to run both classes) it is a far cry from what others have spent on their stock builds and motor conversions....with more weight, less HP and less reliable.

Just a thought.

-JH

Back