General New to the X 1/9, I have a couple questions...

Currently reading:
General New to the X 1/9, I have a couple questions...

Volcomkid

Back in the early 90's my father purchased a 86' Fiat X 1/9 up at Lime Rock Park, a raceway in Connecticut. The car was prepared by Baker's (I think), and has a cam and other minor modifications, as it raced only a couple of races in the stock class. My father drove it for maybe a year, and it later failed emissions. Because it was only a "extra" car, the work on it was put off for a long time. The car has less than 40,000 miles on it, and has a slightly damaged bodykit on it. It's basically been sitting for the last 5-8 years with minimal work, and close to zero usage. Well he's handed it over to me, so that I may have another project car. (I drive an 86' BMW 325es, with a good deal of modifications).

Locating basic parts for this car seems to be much more of a challenge than with my BMW, and I could use some help. IAP offers brake rotors and such, but is their a site that offers a more comprehensive listing of pads, rotors, and other performance related parts? Finding tires alon has proved to be an issue. I'd like to go with Bridgestone Potenza S03's, but I'm not sure they offer them in the size I need. My dad mentioned something about being able to run 185's on these wheels with slight modification to the steering assembly? If that's not an option, where can I look at wheels for this car? What is the offset?

The car failed emissions a while back, and we've replaced most everything fuel and electrical related on the motor. We weren't sure if the car came with a CAT or not, but ours didn't have one on it, so we threw one on their in order to attempt to pass emissions. We've haven't gone back yet, as the car needs the above items before I'd even think of putting it on the road. Basically, the interior is mint from the low miles, (Red, with black leather interior), but I may need to do a few repairs on the body kit. It also needs new paint.

Sorry for the long post, but I'd really like to see this car back on the road, and the track! I'm located in MASS, if anyone can help me locate some of these parts locally, it'd be a great help. Thanks alot!

[email protected]

Okay, the stock size tires are getting harder and harder to find... What I did was I got a set of rims from a Lancia Beta coupe that were 14" and 5.5 wide... I can't remember the exact size that I used, but they were in the 205/45 area. The X's all came with Cats off the boats. You need to make sure the injection system is working properly, X's almost never fail the emissions test... I have dual 40 DCOE's on mine and it passed. There are tricks to getting it to pass if you can't figure out what is failing it.... Shot me an email and I can point you in the right directions...

Later Daze,
Eric Flowers:D
1980 X1/9 His
1984 X1/9 Her's
1977 Xrace X

"Real men love hugging tight curves"[}:)]

Thanks alot! We purchased the car after it was setup for racing, I believe in the stock class. Basically, they told us they had upped the horsepower to 115 hp, we're assuming through a cam or changing something in the ECU maybe, but we can't be sure. It did not have a cat on it every time we tried to get it to pass emissions, but we threw a generic one on there a bit ago. We have not been back to get the car retested, as now I have to go through it and change out the brakes, tires, and such. Thanks again, I'll try to email you soon.

You said that you were having trouble finding tires for the car, i too had that trouble. Try tirerack.com, the search engine there will let you find just exactly what you need. Also, for the parts question you had, like where to find them, you can try Vicks Auto sports or Bayless. Very good people and they know their cars. Thanks

Richard

Richard

Back