General stratos

Currently reading:
General stratos

fastrendy

i've read on a few websites that the x1/9 share the same exact chassis as the stratos. is this true? i would like to think that i am sort of driving a stratos, or at least the bottom part :)

and is the x the closest thing we can ever get to a stratos?, seeing how they are really rare and hard to get.

I was about to point out the same as the article states. The X1/9 and the Stratos were parallel developments with the Stratos leading the way as a pure competition car. Much of what was learned from those developments was applied to the X1/9 to create something new - more suited for mass production and cheaper too. Perhaps the most significant part is that the Stratos uses a discrete chassis while the X1/9 utilises a monocoque. The Stratos is basically a hand crafted homologation special almost the first and last of its kind. The X1/9 is pure production line - for track and rally competition purposes it needed some pretty heavy development work.

To say that the X1/9 uses the stratos chassis is a blatant lie - the best you can say is that the X1/9 monocoque is derived from the stratos chassis.

If you want to see something more interesting I suggest you look at the X1/9 superstructure and the much more recent lotus elise...

I looked for some pics of the Stratos vs the X19 chassis ... they are small but you can make out the chassis is very different to the X ... the race car with no floor is Julian's (jimbro's) car ... clearly shows the monocouque structure as compared to the Stratos' fabricated chassis.

SteveC

Attachments

• stratosresto.jpg
    stratosresto.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 75
  • stratosshow.jpg
    stratosshow.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 66
  • floorlessJulian.jpg
    floorlessJulian.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 70
I think and i also said this that the coolest car i have ever been near or in it, its the stratos.(y)

Well....Ive been in a Transformer replica to be honest ;) (the blue car in the profie photo i use) I did not know much about them. The guy let me sit in it. he opened it all up (bonnets doors etc) to have a look at. When i first saw it i thought is it original or not (i mean kit car) and i could not tell the difference. I now know that that was a kit car !!!! But what an AMAZING THING !!!!!

Since that day i said to myself that this is a BIG X1/9 or the X1/9 is a baby stratos....hence the footnote on my postings !!!!! and not a baby Ferrari !!!!

Still....what amazing cars both are !!!! :slayer:

George

(By the way...i have sat in my X1/9 ... i dont have it yet :bang: , but i was on holiday in UK and went to my uncles place and sat in the car.... Started it up...sounds cool :eek: but did not drive it as other cars were blocking it in (n) )

the guy who used to maintain my race car started out driving an original Stratos on special rally stages and he definitely had a soft spot for the cars too.

a replica lived in the workshop - an ongoing project to swap the engine from an alfa v6 to a 4 cylinder lancia turbo. i spent a lot of time looking at it and to be honest despite the obvious points with the bodywork i have to say i wasn't hugely impressed.

I've been in a later 033c and that was rather more impressive but still not really in OMFG territory.

on the otherhand one of the last cars they had in while i still used that workshop was the (one and only) maserati boomerang - now that was an eye-opener, both in terms of the out-there styling but also how incredibly badly screwed together the car was despite its £1000000 status.

Back