General Bumpers Poll

Currently reading:
General Bumpers Poll

Bumpers, NO Bumpers , or 1300 style Bumpers ???

• Total voters

gserghiou

Hi all,

I see more and more people getting rid of their bumpers !!!

I personally would like the bumpers to stay....or better gtting an installing the 1300 style bumpers !!!!:D

What about you !!! ????

Do you prefer the X1/9 with, without Bumpers or with the 1300 Bumpers !!!!

Please vote !!! :eek:

George

well to be honest, i love the 1300/ euro style bumpers, and they look great, but lets face it....every1 and their mother's cousin has them installed. and unless weight saving's is a major issue, bec of racing, autoX, etc... then going buperless isnt really practical, nor does it look very "finished", so if you have the 1500's big bumpers keep them on, because it wont be long before that will be the hot craze, and they will be impossible to find bec every 1 has ditched them. or yet another option, is if bumpers are a must (bec of street laws, or class rules) then id go for the 75-78 twin/ladder bumpers as they are lighter, and they will keep you alive(y) ps: look foward to seeing you mill around Xweb & good luck on the shipping details:D

How about no bumpers with a nice Dallara bodykit on it (still got the moulds here waiting for when I get back on the racetrack :D)

i have seen x1/9s with the bodykits on the net...the dalara u mention...
Im not sayign that they are not nice but I still prefer it as it is....Sexy as ever !!!!!:D

I bought myself a rusty motionless Gordini the other day from a mechanic...
We were chating and we talked about the X19..he says to me...this one here is nice...and he pulls the curtain back to reveal a nice example of an X1/9...no mods...Just 205s tyres...#DAMN SEXY !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: WHERE IS MINE >?????:rolleyes:

Also, i just received the 2 beat-up corgi (little ones) models i got from the net !!!!! They are in a bad state...but i Love them....up there on the top of the Fiat 500s models..... :devil:

Thanks,

George

Jim: whats the avalibility for the dallara kit? how much$ in (usd please), i might be in the market for the kit within the next yr for an all out race car.:yum: also what other light weight/go fast goodies will you part with?;)

The rear section has not been finalised as we are still messing with the design slightly to optimise the ventilation needed for the turbo engine.

The front section is completed though and comes in four parts (possibly five as we might have to seperate the lower front spoiler to reduce repair costs):

Right Wing
Left Wing
One Piece Nose
Bonnet

All panels are prepared in gel-coated GRP (you choose the colour) by an expert in such matters. The result is strong and light but if you want more strength there are other material options and the facility to add reinforcement. The bonnet has all of the original mountings points and can be used as a direct swap for the original steel panelled bonnet. The wings and nose all bolt together to form a single piece if desired or can be just bonded onto the original framework.

The cost will depend on exactly what you want. The basic panels (no extra requirements) were £600 + delivery + duty when the last set were made - converting that into USD at this stage would be misleading. Reinforcement or different materials will change the base price and I would have to get a quote for the changes from the manufacturer. I would also have to get a confirmation on the price.

The gel coat is not intended as a final finish - just a means to hide the inevitable stone chips when they occur by keeping the gel coat close to the final painted colour.

As you've probably already realised the panels are not cheap but having attempted to use the available panels offered to me I found them to be of very dubious quality, too heavy, missing parts (such as the nose and returns on panels for proper fitting) and far too flimsy for real use. These new panels were designed specifically for my current car but are based on the panels originally supplied to Radbourne Racing twenty years ago (it helps to know the right people in this matter) which are about as close as you can get to original factory panels. Dallara have no parts or records for these cars anymore - everything being lost many years ago despite the rather large significance of the work in the company history.

The rear panels, when finished, are expected to be as follows:

Single piece deck (with cutouts for a proper spoiler/aero-wing and induction scoop/periscope)
Right rear wing
Left rear wing
Lower valance/Diffuser

The likely cost is expected to be the same again as the front set. Unlike the front you would need to retain the main rear panel (with tail light mountings).

The rear deck is based on the Abarth Prototipo arrangement and incorporates a basic lip spoiler. The design specifies that the spoiler extends to cover the tops of the wings unlike the original which only extended over the width of the deck.

We are also looking at a roof skin that can be bonded into place - this will incorporate an extension to the rear to aid in smoothing the airflow. Without the main aero-wing the roof extension is vital to obtaining higher speeds in an efficient manner. Once the main wing is fitted the importance is reduced a little but the assitance is still welcome. The main wing though soaks up an awful of power at the projected top speed of 180mph. Without the wing and seriously lowering the car the calculated Vmax is over 200mph but we have no intention of ever testing for this.

The designs as built so far have been modelled and tested in simulations and in wind tunnels and while they are not superb (thanks to limitations in the basic design and the regulations I have to run to) they are good enough to meet the requirements I face. The original design literally took off at 170mph thanks to way too much lift at the front and too little lift at the rear to keep the car pointing forwards (instead of up).

As for other performance parts. Engines can be built to order and supplied ready to bolt-in with all essential ancillaries. The same applies to gearboxes and driveshafts/cv-joints, radiators and (hopefully) suspension kits. If you want to go overboard there is the option of using a higher level of equipment with custom suspenson arms and hubs but there is a lot of modification work envolved to make them fit and the cost is prohibitive - even I (in my maddest hours) have not gone that far!

cool thanks for the info jim. ive been looking at various dallara pics and im still undecided as to if im wanting one for my application. id really like to find get a set of glass fiber or CarbonFiber NOS style panels like a set i seen on "ebay UK" about 6months ago(in glass not CF). i contacted the seller bec they were a "pickup only" and wanted to work something out and pay him for shipping, and his trouble, but he wouldnt have it (n) anyway thanks please post pics ASAP(y)

Back