Technical New owner - Faran Eliminator

Currently reading:
Technical New owner - Faran Eliminator

Adrocky

Hi all,

I recently inherited an X19 Faran Eliminator from a relative... I believe this is a rare conversion.

I'm looking for any information on the 2L Lancia engines these are fitted with, as the car has been garaged for the last 5 years plus I wanted to change the oil and filter before trying to start it.
Can anyone help with my starting point?

Thanks in advance

I'm under the impression it's been through a full rust repair restoration prior to being taken off the road, it looks great although not completely finished.
I will look to post some photos on here in the near future!

Re: New owner - Faran Eliminanator

Have a look on the sporting fiats club, there’s some info and pictures on there. You’ll have to join to view the forum and it’s little used these days but the info is still there.
I have some Lancia twin cam spares if you ever need anything....cylinder head, cams, manifolds, cam cover, even a spare faran support frame and the modified Lancia gearbox to go with the X19 conversion. I’d planned to do this conversion myself but never found a decent car at the right price.

Thanks for fingering me varesecrazy :)

When it comes to X1/9s let alone twin cam upgrades (I recall 1300cc / 1600cc and 2000cc projects) I have no reliable info to offer.

As for Fiat/Lancia 80s twin cam engines then I have a *little* knowledge and may be able to track down a specific engine type number and serial number.

Beyond specifics then all I will say/add is the the Fiat/Lancia Twin Cam engine is pretty much bullet proof in standard form. Even well engineered units (late RIP Guy Croft Race Engines) shared the same bullet proof reliability.

For example most/if not all Fiat/Lancia engines came from factory with "tuftrided" hardened crank shafts. For production vehicles this was pretty if not totally unique.

I think the best pointer/summary/history for Fiat/Lancia Twin Cam engines is that they were designed by Aurelio Lampredi (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurelio_Lampredi )

As for specific engine detail/information then more information is required.

I will get some pictures hopefully this weekend and hopefully that might ring a bell with somebody!
Will have a look and see if I can find an engine number too ?

Hey there, not sure if these initial pictures are attached?

So I haven't been able to get it out of the garage yet as the wheels seem all solid and won't roll. I hope it is just brake disc corrosion...

First thing hopefully someone can help with is how to open the engine cover? Is it the lever by the gear lever?
If so any info on what way it opens? From front or back?
Also any tips if the catch is seized (which I think it is, the front was also very bad but I have got it open)

Attachments

• 20210911_182120.jpg
    11.5 MB · Views: 57
For some reason the spoiler is stored off the car...

Attachments

• 20210911_182043.jpg
    26.4 MB · Views: 57
There is a dual lever assembly in the passenger door post to open boot and engine lid. Some models had an emergency pull cord located in the left area off the rear boot

There is a dual lever assembly in the passenger door post to open boot and engine lid. Some models had an emergency pull cord located in the left area off the rear boot

This is brilliant thanks very much!
Will keep you all updated on how it goes!

Hello again,

Thanks to Sledgehammer for the tip - I have got the engine bay open.
Hence the reward of the photo!!

So another question (haha) - would you say on first appearance this looks like a Aurelio Lampredi designed Lanica Engine?

It is indeed stamped with a "Guy Croft Engines" tab - had I realised this was a big deal (only now re-reading through the thread) I would have got a close up :)

Progress on the restoration is slow due to not being able to move the car at the moment and always needing that tool I didn't bring, along with work commitments... but I have got one of the rear discs and caliper off and have confirmed the axle rotates - so just heavy corrosion on the brake discs stopping it leaving the garage!

So the rear brakes are from a 124 Spider - calipers are part number# 4181971.
I have spend hours this evening trying to find exactly which 124 these came off - in order to source new discs and pads.... If anyone can help with this task I would greatly appreciate!!!

Is there a parts database with OEM parts numbers anywhere that I can search?

Attachments

• 20211004_121200.jpg
    20211004_121200.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 62
Oh and how about a bonus piccy of the Eliminator prior to being locked up for all those years....

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1626305669356.jpg
    FB_IMG_1626305669356.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 57
For anyone considering upgrading to the 124 brakes for the X1/9, I would recommend against it!

Not only do calipers need an adaptor to fit the X1/9 mounting points, but also a "shim" spacer is required behind the brake disc to put it in the correct place... very difficult to remove when they have been sat together for many years... the ones pictured are aluminium too! So not great with dissimilar metals in contact!!!

Attachments

• 20211005_131925.jpg
    20211005_131925.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 54
Looks good, Faran used primarily Lancia Beta engines, either the 2 litre or 1.6 engines. Although they did use Fiat Croma Turbo in one! Interesting that it has a possibly modded guy Croft engine.
The rear calipers have the same geometry as the standard X19 calipers, just a bigger piston. I have these on my own X19 and they fit the same standard X19 discs and pads.
You’ll need to overhaul the calipers as the pistons get stuck, it’s an easy job and parts (if you need them) are available. I also have a spare set of these big piston calipers if you run into problems!
Where abouts are you located?

These Calipers were also used on Fiat 132 and Lancia Montecarlo. What part number do you have on the Caliper carrier brackets? And what size are the discs?

So the rear discs I have sourced are as follows:

Rear Brake Discs:

‎Brembo Model
‎08.3129.10
Discontinued....

OEM part number:

This is a front disc from a Fiat Croma (Being used on the Rear of the X1/9 with caliper brackets and disc spacers!
I believe they are 257mm

Haven't got around to trying out fitting yet so hoping the calipers are not seized, will be a first time if I have to recondition one!

Didn't notice a part number on the bracket, will have a look next time I'm working on the car

I'm (the car) is located in Southampton

Last edited:
Back