Technical Valve Clearance: chapter and verse?

Currently reading:
Technical Valve Clearance: chapter and verse?

RDS

Hello all

can anyone shed any light on what the correct range of valve clearance is for a standard UK spec 1500cc carburettored engine please?

According to the Haynes Manual the valve clearances are checked cold and are not mentioned specifically in the 1500cc Supplement. From the 1300cc main section of the Manual, the clearance should be 0.45mm inlet / 0.60mm exhaust No range is given, which is not very useful.

By contract, according to the the Fiat Workshop Manual(it is not clear to me if that is for US or UK model but is for a 1500cc engine) the range (again checked cold) is: 0.28-0.35mm Inlet and 0.38-0.46mm Exhaust.

It would not be so bad if the Haynes figure was somewhere within the Fiat range, but it is not. Further, even though the measurements are rather small, they do have an effect on timing, carburetion, valve condition etc. and as a percentage, the Haynes figures are quite a way from the Fiat range.

I do appreciate that a larger clearance will give a noisier engine. Also, if an exact figure is required, then inevitably all the shims will need to be changed. With a range, obviously not so, possibly....

So which is the correct range? I am after reliability and efficiency over performance.

Many thanks in advance.

RDS

Many thanks Sledgehammer. I am glad i am not the only one confused by the mismatching of info.

I ended up also posting there and Steve was very helpful.

Cheers

RDS

Back