Technical Engine change (Punto) or rebuild

Currently reading:
Technical Engine change (Punto) or rebuild

elansmith70

Preamble then questions. The head gasket on my 1500 X1/9 engine has gone for the third time (over about 5000miles).

The head was skimmed each time. Water in the oil, No 4 cylinder was full of water. I tried a quick bodge this time in that I just took it apart and slapped a gasket on to see if I could use it for a while with out a rebuild. Head seams flat ( ruler and feeler blade check), block flatish.

Now filled with coolant I drained the oil. There is coolant in the sump even before stating the engine, so just through gravity. Cracked block or head?

Seeing as I'm possibly going to have to do some professional checking of the block and head I was thinking transplant.

There is a Punto GT engine on ebay. Can the ecu on it be bypassed for the immobiliser? I imagine it won't come with the ignition lock and chip.

Thanks for your help in advance

Hi there
If your fairly good with car electrics, I belive it is very easy to bypass the imobilser, when i did my gt turbo swap I actually got a chip made up with immobilser removed and pre tuned with my upgrades to the system accounted for.
It is also very easy to splice the GT loom into the X19's loom, you will however have to do some fabrication work to make the engine and gearbox fit (assuming both GT) and some of the sensder units from the X will need to be put onto the engine and you will need to make up a tacho converter for the revs counter.

Back