Technical No current to Ignition Coil

Currently reading:
Technical No current to Ignition Coil

Hi all. Accidentally I broke the ignition coil of my x1/9 1.5L 1987.

I was given a new ignition coil but as soon as I started the car, it was not revving properlly i.e. missing - after a minute it stopped. Tried to switch it on to no avail.

Since then, I replaced the coil with another new one from the Parts Shop- the car turns but wont start - there us no sign of firing....infact no spark.

I noticed that there is no current going in the coil...put a dc lamp test on the positive point of coil and turned on the engine.

Is there a fuse or ballast resistor between the ignition and the coil..which might have been blown when I used the wrong coil?

Many thanks and appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Hi all. Accidentally I broke the ignition coil of my x1/9 1.5L 1987.

I was given a new ignition coil but as soon as I started the car, it was not revving properlly i.e. missing - after a minute it stopped. Tried to switch it on to no avail.

Since then, I replaced the coil with another new one from the Parts Shop- the car turns but wont start - there us no sign of firing....infact no spark.

I noticed that there is no current going in the coil...put a dc lamp test on the positive point of coil and turned on the engine.

Is there a fuse or ballast resistor between the ignition and the coil..which might have been blown when I used the wrong coil?

Many thanks and appreciate your help.
Did you connect the test lamp between the coil +be lead and a good clean metal part of engine?

Did you connect the test lamp between the coil +be lead and a good clean metal part of engine?
Went again to check..now there is current at the in positive..tried my luck by trying to switching it on...no firing. Thanks

Went again to check..now there is current at the in positive..tried my luck by trying to switching it on...no firing. Thanks
Check points are opening and closing and that they are clean. If none of those things need fixing, remove the condenser and try a known good condenser.

Measure resistance of primary coil windings
And secondary windings
If you have a multi meter.
Post results

Before you replace the condenser.

Pull the ht lead that goes from coil to distributor cap off distributor cap, hold end of lead 6 or 7mm from clean metal part of engine , turn engine on starter motor , Do you get a spark between ht lead and metal?

Hi Guys.

i would look at changing the condenser, they have an annoying habit of working while your testing the car just until you want to drive it then they pack up. just be fully sure you have connected the wires onto the coil the right way round.

Tim

How did you accidentally break the ignition coil?

Just curious.....

Al.

Before you replace the condenser.

Pull the ht lead that goes from coil to distributor cap off distributor cap, hold end of lead 6 or 7mm from clean metal part of engine , turn engine on starter motor , Do you get a spark between ht lead and metal?

Hi, I tried that and there was no spark. Changed also the ht lead to a new one, but still no spark. Spot on, its here the problem..the only thing that the 3 COILSs are not Fiat or Marelli...thanks

Last edited:
Hi, I tried that and there was no spark. Changed also the ht lead to a new one, but still no spark. Spot on, its here the problem..the only thing that the 3 COILSs are not Fiat or Marelli...thanks
No its not sure to be coil yet.

The condenser has likely failed.

Change the condenser.

Then look for a spark from it coil lead to metal.

Make sure points open and close(connect your test light to the coil - ve and coil +ve , crank engine on starter , test light should flash on and off)

It does not matter what make the coil is ,

But the ignition coil MUST be from or for a car with contact breaker (points) ignition
NOT for electronic ignition.
There will be a short circuit with coil from electronic ignition.

Do you have a multi meter that reads ohms?

Last edited:
You need a coil that has a primary winding resistance of about 3ohms

Back