Technical Carburettor mixture base setting?

Currently reading:
Technical Carburettor mixture base setting?

RDS

Hello
Can anyone give me a base setting please, ie how many turns out?
Haynes says anticlockwise to richen but I am miles out already.....
1500 engine, standard tune 34 DATR CARB

CHEERS

RDS

Hi Rds

I have mainly fiat 850's but use some dmtr carbs on them, generally i would wind the idle screw in gently until the engine revs just start to fall, then wind back out just less than a single turn.

I hope this helps

Tim

1.5 ~ 2 turns, anymore and something is wrong. If the idle jet size is correct check for an air leak around the base of the carb. At idle spray some carb cleaner around the base of the revs pic up you have a leak. The base of those carbs warp due to over tightening, you may have to remove it and flatten the base. Use new baskets under the carb and heat shield. Also check the float height and drop, 7mm and 15mm.

hi

Are you trying to richen the mixture at idle but cant seem to get enough, it might be just a bit of crud in the idle jet.

give us a bit of backround or some info leading up to where you are now.

Tim

Hello Tim and NEG

I am really sorry for the delay in replying but I had no notification you had posted! I am grateful for your replies.

To recap: the motor cuts out regularly after 30 minutes (after a slight hesitation) but usually only when driving and not after 30 mins at idle. I have been through the ignition system, which leaves fuel. The car will usually not re-start immediately thereafter but will do so after 45 minutes.

I have tried spraying carb cleaner around the base and there is no increase in revs. That is not to say there may not be a deeper defect with the inlet manifold that I cannot access at this moment, although I will have a good go at inspecting it when i take the carb off

I have tested the fuel pump and it is operating as one would expect.

The tank and the fuel pick up are the cleanest I have ever seen on a car. The inline filter is clear and has fuel in it. The hoses are routed carefully. Hoses are new mostly or quite recent for the rest.

It is very hot under the engine cover and this may be contributing to the stall issue or causing it. Next to carb, above the bakelite heat shield I am getting a reading of 70deg

Anyway, facts are I cannot richen enough to get a good flame on the Colourtune (NB i can do on other vehicles, so the comment "Colourtune doesn't work with modern petrol", is not really true). I am so many turns out already but it still looks lean to me.

I am coming round to the idea that there are several problems at once, including that there is hidden bit of dirt in one of the passageways; it is not in the jets because I have had them out and cleaned. From memory they are the correct size.

I suppose I will have to immerse the carb in carburettor cleaner for a day or so: my ultrasonic cleaner is too small.

I have bought a new idle mixture control screw and O ring and will fit those as part of the carb re-build.

I also agree that the float height and drop may not be spot on, However they would have to be a ling way out surely to cause the problems i am facing, surely?

However, I will have to investigate the operation of the auto-choke. Can anyone confirm please than the choke only operates on the choke flap and does not have extra ports or passageways to allow fuel into to the inlet manifold. Despite the lean condition at idle, I am trying to rule out that I am not flooded at speed.

Also, I need to ascertain once and for all whether there is an idle control valve on this car. The Weber manuals refer to this electrically operated valve with the words "check the operation, if fitted". I do not see it immediately on mine; certainly there is no electrical feed obvious, apart from the carb fan.Does any one have this on their carb? Where is the feed from? What controls it?

I have not looked at the cyclonic control valve. As the fuel pump is off at the moment, I have more clearance to get at it. Has anyone had it apart, cleaned it and put it back together again? Any tips?

The sender for the carb fan changes resistance when hot and the fan works when shorted out, but I have never heard the fan in operation during running or after shut down. form memory the cut in temp is higher than the 70 deg i see at the carb base.

As part of the carb re-build, I will check the flatness of the mounting surface.

Although my bake light spacer is ok, I am wondering whether I can in addition still get the thick aftermarket isolation gasket in as well. Anyone tried this?

All constructive thoughts welcome!!

Cheers

RDS

Dear all

this is a message from F123C that seems to have disappeared from the web-page. I repeat it here in case there is a malfunction on the site. I will reply in the next post.

"Are you sure it's not an ignition fault, the way it cuts out after 30 mins of driving and won't restart for 45 minutes sounds like a coil or other ignition component getting too hot and failing.

Is your car fitted with a resistor type rotor arm in the distributor? these could fail with similar symptoms to yours.
Are you getting a good spark at the plugs when the engine cuts-out?

Another possibility is fuel vaporisation. Your carb temp does sound quite high but then again, as you say the engine bay does get hot on these cars. Maybe try driving with the air filter unit removed and the engine lid propped open or removed (to keep engine bay and therefore carb temp down) and see if it still cuts out? Or maybe, hot-wire the carb fan to run continuously to keep the carb cooler and rule out fuel vaporisation as a cause?

If the car idles and accelerates well, I think I'd leave the carb alone for the moment and look elsewhere for a problem.

If there is an idle control valve fitted it will be a metal cylinder shaped object screwed into the carb body, midway up close to where you'd find the idle jet, it will have one wire going to it.
This wire iirc is fed from the ignition switch but might be wired to something else that is controlled by the ignition switch, regardless it should have battery voltage at it with the ignition switch turned on.

Al."

Re: Carburettor mixture base setting? AND stalling after 30 mins

Thanks Al

I have been struggling to determine whether this is fuel or ignition. The only clue I have is the slight hesitation in revs (not even seen on the rev counter) about 10 seconds before the engine falters (however much gas you give it) and then dies.

Addressing the points in you appreciated post:

The car idles and accelerates very well indeed.

I have been through the ignition system, replacing coil several times and ensuring that the primary resistance is per the manual. the secondary resistance is much higher on modern coils but that is no bad thing

In operation coil, is showing 50 deg and I have a heat shield around it now to see if that helps. It does not.

the HT leads have been changed
the capacitor has been changed for new from reputable source
distributor cap changed ad carbon brush checked
the rotor has been changed for new from a reputable source
electronic ignition (Accuspark type) has been tried. No improvement and reverted to points
points gapped and checked
timing slightly advanced for modern fuel
dwell spot on
plugs changed form new and gapped
inductive Spark tester shows there is a spark (until there isn't, obviously!)
Spark is possibly weak but i cannot see why that would be the case with so much new stuff which was replaced as part of the fault diagnosis and servicing anyway)

I have run an auxiliary/ignition switch by-pass power feed (switched) from the coil to the battery. When i cut out last, i activated the switch and the car started on second try. I drive 400 yards to the petrol station to fill and though if i switched the by-pass feed off, the car would die. It didn't die so that theory has been scotched.

Idle control valve: i am not convinced i have that: all i can see in that area is the vacuum mechanism for the choke pull-down. If anyone can post a pic of their carb at that level it would be appreciated, please.

Accelerator linkage: i though the cable was hanging up but have adjusted that and lubricated to minimise that issue

BTW I have fitted a proper fuel cap and also tried to run the car without it: no improvement either way.

Any ideas on cleaning the cyclonic valve?

I have fitted a computer fan in the right hand air scoop, it is on all he time; again no improvement.

I have fitted a manual over-ride to the carb fan and rigged up a securing prop for the engine cover. However I have not taken the car out fearing yet another break done on the dual carriageway.

In addition, i might want to cur the mesh out of the two scoops. Has anyone got a pair of scrap ones for me to try please? no point in ruining the good ones.

Keep 'em, coming!

Cheers

RDS

Last edited:
With an ignition problem, the engine will usually cut-out immediately (as if you turned off the ignition), with a fuel problem the engine will often stumble before cutting-out, like running out of fuel.

I'm a bit confused when you say :- Inductive Spark tester shows there is a spark (until there isn't, obviously!). When your engine cuts-out, is there a spark? If there isn't and you wait c. 45 minutes, does the spark return?

If your carb is fitted with an idle control valve, it will be a metal cylinder, about the size of an ignition capacitor (maybe a little longer) and will be fitted about 1/2 way up the carb body just above the idle mixture screw. It has one electrical connection, so one wire going to it. As you can't see any wire going to the carb, this suggests your carb doesn't have one fitted. This is what it looks like:-:-
https://www.vickauto.com/FIAT-PARTS...uretor-Idle-Solenoid-X1/9-1976-80-SKU-31-0601

Re:- cooling fan switch, www.eurosport-uk.net list a carb cooling fan switch, enter Fiat Bertone X1/9>Engine & Fuel, then see the 8th item on page 1. They mention that the switch they stock has a 60/50 degree C. cut in/out range as opposed to the higher 65/55 degree C. type found on U.K. cars. Interesting that you mention your carb temperature reading is c. 70* C. but your fan doesn't cut in, iirc.

You mention the secondary winding resistance of your coil is higher than the original, I wonder if your's should have a ballast resistor fitted - I've seen replacement coils listed for sale followed by listings for resistors, either 15ohm,10watt or 2ohm,5watt. If you run a coil that should have a ballast resistor fitted, without one, the coil will overheat (12+v instead of c. 9.5v will cause excessive current flow in the primary winding) and probably cease to work until it cools down. If your coil has overheated badly, it will have been damaged. You seem to have renewed/checked everything else bar the coil?
Have you checked the resistance of both coil windings when the engine has just cut-out? Also check if one winding is shorting to earth when the engine cuts-out.

So, what can you try next?

Check for a spark the next time the engine cuts out?
If no spark, feel the coil, if it's too hot to hold your hand on it (be careful), fit a replacement coil (new or known good s/hand).

If you have a spark, check if fuel is reaching the carb - i.e. carefully loosen the fuel hose to the carb, don't spill any on the hot engine.

Or try spraying Easy-Start or similar (carb/brake cleaner may work) into the carb intake or dribble a teaspoon of petrol in, and check if the engine will now start without waiting 45 mins.

Here's a weird thought, maybe try temporarily disconnecting the revcounter when the engine cuts out, it's connected to the distributor side of the coil (iirc it's a brown wire). If the revcounter goes faulty, it can cut the ignition. This fault has caught me out....

Have you measured the resistance across the ignition switch contacts, both cold and when the engine has cut-out? Any change? Try wiggling the key, any change in resistance.
It's interesting that your car re-started on the second try when you hot-wired it....

What is this 'cyclonic valve' you speak of?

Al.

Last edited:
Hello Al

a most interesting reply thank you very much. I think we are getting somewhere.

Addressing your points below.
Just as you are, I am also still not convinced if it is ignition or a fuel based problem.

There is a slight stumble as I mentioned about 5-10 seconds before the engine cuts out. This makes me think "fuel".

Ref: “there is a spark (until there isn't, obviously!)” What I mean by this is that the engine runs fine until the stumble and then the engine cuts very shortly afterward. There is a spark when it is running and then when it cuts, there is no spark "needed" so it is not there becaues the engine has stalled. I cannot test the wave form of the ignition circuit up until and during the cut off eg via oscilloscope at this time for any clues as to coil winding breakdown

After cut off, the last time I was able to test if there was a spark with someone viewing the plug, there was a indeed spark albeit (his words) weaker than expected (see below for coil discussion). After I wait c. 45 minutes the engine will fire up but I think it runs a little roughly at that time

Idle control valve: Thanks for the link; I do not think I have this but will need to look very carefully again. If the valve is fitted, I assume that the electrical feed is from the ignition switch, ie it splits off from the coil +ve feed, yes?

Re:- cooling fan switch. Yes that is the exact one I have fitted. Carb temperature reading is c. 70* C. than from an LCD thermometer so may be inaccurate. I will have to try the Infra-red type for a better data collection.

The secondary winding resistance (ie from the +ve terminal to the HT terminal) is listed in Haynes as being 6250 to 8250 Ohms (and I assume this is as usual a COLD reading). The coil that was originally on the car was at the value and the repayment coil (ie numerous new ones tried) are 20,000Ohms and above. I dobt this has any real adverse effect here.
The primary resistance (+ve to –ve terminal) is specified in Haynes as 3 Ohm and the original coil was at that level. All of the aftermarket coild I have tried have been 2.7Ohms. They exhibit the same problem whether I use them as 2.7Ohm units or if I introduce heavy duty 0.3Ohm in line ballasts to bring up the total primary resistance to 3 Ohm. I have tried four coils with the same result.
Re: “Have you checked the resistance of both coil windings when the engine has just cut-out? Also check if one winding is shorting to earth when the engine cuts-out.” No; the cut-out scenarios have been on the motorway, dual carriageway and other less than happy places. If possible I will try to do that.

Re: “Check for a spark the next time the engine cuts out?
If no spark, feel the coil, if it's too hot to hold your hand on it (be careful), fit a replacement coil (new or known good s/hand).” Yes it is hot ie 50deg (using another of those LCD thermometers), anyway as I said after the last cut out, the engine started on second use of starter with the direct feed from battery to coil. Hence I do not think this is the coil.

Re “If you have a spark, check if fuel is reaching the carb - i.e. carefully loosen the fuel hose to the carb, don't spill any on the hot engine.” Fuel is visible in the inline filter and I get a squirt from the accelerator pump. I do not now think that paucity of fuel delivery to the carb inlet is the problem. BTW the carb internal gauze filter is clean as can be,

Easy-Start has no effect at all after cut out. I have not dribbled a teaspoon of petrol into carb for practical reasons. Might be worth a try to eliminate that.

Re your “weird thought, maybe try temporarily disconnecting the revcounter when the engine cuts out, it's connected to the distributor side of the coil (iirc it's a brown wire). If the revcounter goes faulty, it can cut the ignition. This fault has caught me out....” this is very interesting because I also suspected the dealer fitted alarm/immobiliser, which operates on grounding out the coil via its connection to the revcounter/tacho. I described it as if there were a bi-metallic strip cutting current like in a panel heater when it gets too hot and then re-making the connection when cold.
However:
1 the direct feed to the coil would by-pass this grounding wouldn’t it? Perhaps not, and you are onto something there!! Wonderful insight!I will need to draw out the cirrcuit
2 Also, when I fitted the Accuspark (or similar) electronic ignition module, I lost the use of the rev-counter and the engine still cut out.
3 The stumble that I mentioned above, and then a 5 second delay before cut-out, runs counter to the idea that ignition problems are immediate with no warning?

Re “Have you measured the resistance across the ignition switch contacts, both cold and when the engine has cut-out? Any change? Try wiggling the key, any change in resistance.” No, but then the direct feed bypasses all that. I did suspect the switch also, before running that experiment though.

Re: What is this 'cyclonic valve' you speak of?
This is part of the crank case breather system and is this part:
https://www.midwest-bayless.com/Fia...p-breather-sohc-fiat-x19-128-yugo-all-u9.aspx
In addition, do UK cars have the control valve shown on p62 of Haynes at item 4? It seems opeated by a belt, but I do not have that set up at all….

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers

RDS

Hi all on this thread,

If easy start has no effect after engine cuts out and you are spraying it directly into carb then I would think you don't have a spark good enough to ignite the fuel/easy start.

Disconnect all the wires from coil 12v +terminal .make up a wire to connect directly from battery + to coil + and only connect this new wire to coil+
While you are making wires make a new one to go between coil - ve and distributor.

Give it a go.

Don't trust inductive spark indicator , it does not tell you there is enough energy for a decent spark.

There should be enough energy to cause a spark to jump at minimum of 5mm from connector at end of it lead to metal part of engine while turning engine on starter motor(if you can't slide the spark plug boot up ht lead to expose connector put a metal rod inside boot touching connector)

Years ago a friend has a 1987 vw golf with carb , partially failing fuel pump enabled her to drive 50 to 100 motorway miles then car would cut out.by the time rac arrived it would restart and appear fine, then Do exactly same thing after another 50 to 100 miles. She drove all the way from Scotland to Gloucester with that happening .

If you have a low pressure gauge when car cuts out see if you have 2 or 3 psi fuel pressure at carb.

Sorry if you have already done any of this I quickly read through thread but may have missed something.

Last edited:
Carbs of that era often had an idle cut off solenoid (some people may call this an idle control valve -I would not)
When not energised the idle cut off solenoid cuts off flow through the idle jet.
If it's stuck or not energised no amount of adjusting idle mixture screw will make any difference.

Last edited:
Check valve clearances, if too tight could be holding valves open when hot. This is a long shot.

Last edited:
Check the auto choke is not going crazy and operating when hot , choking off all the air .

To answer one question , the auto choke flap only chokes off air to richen mixture, there are no other enrichment valves/jets/passages etc

Last edited:
I have just measured an ignition coil for 12v non ballast contact breaker system.
Cold readings , yes always measure cold,
Primary 3 ohms
Secondary 6500 ohms

If you have your original coil and readings correct try using that one for now.

Hello Jack thanks for your input.

Going back to Al’s comment re the tacho earlier, I have drawn out the circuit and if the tacho has an internal problem, then even with my auxiliary feed, the coil would still be grounded out via the tacho, as he says.
Comments:
Weak spark is a still a possibility but why would it happen I ask muself? All components have been swapped out.
Lead from –ve to distributor si now on list just in case
Further spark jump test can be undertaken when I source a friend!
Fuel pump: I suspect someone has been down this road with the car already because it has a new pump and sender unit.
Will need to see if I have a gauge in my kit.
Idle cut off solenoid: yes, I agree. I just need to see if I actually have one fitted.
Valve clearance: this is a shim and bucket OHC engine and a right pain to check. I will leave this until last. However, I would have thought that valve clearance issues would appear very quickly in the heat of operation rather than 30 mins into operation. Also, If I recall correctly a vacuum gauge will tell me that without a tear-down. Anyone know where I can “break into” the inlet to take a reading?
Autochoke: flap remains open during the problem. If there are no other passageways then that aspect can be laid to rest then. Good.

Coil measurements: good thank you.

RDS

Hello Jack thanks for your input.

Going back to Al’s comment re the tacho earlier, I have drawn out the circuit and if the tacho has an internal problem, then even with my auxiliary feed, the coil would still be grounded out via the tacho, as he says.
Comments:
Weak spark is a still a possibility but why would it happen I ask muself? All components have been swapped out.
Lead from –ve to distributor si now on list just in case
Further spark jump test can be undertaken when I source a friend!
Fuel pump: I suspect someone has been down this road with the car already because it has a new pump and sender unit.
Will need to see if I have a gauge in my kit.
Idle cut off solenoid: yes, I agree. I just need to see if I actually have one fitted.
Valve clearance: this is a shim and bucket OHC engine and a right pain to check. I will leave this until last. However, I would have thought that valve clearance issues would appear very quickly in the heat of operation rather than 30 mins into operation. Also, If I recall correctly a vacuum gauge will tell me that without a tear-down. Anyone know where I can “break into” the inlet to take a reading?
Autochoke: flap remains open during the problem. If there are no other passageways then that aspect can be laid to rest then. Good.

Coil measurements: good thank you.

RDS
I am of the opinion that if you can spray easy start into carb throat and you can't get engine to fire then poor or no spark is the problem.

Recently have helped diagnose a 12v contact breaker ignition system . Would not start and run properly , owner had stripped carb down himself , it turned out to be ignition problem. Condenser was faulty. Owner sourced a good quality replacement condenser. 3-4 weeks later car started cutting out over a certain number of revs, over a period of time the rev limit dropped until car undrivable.
Owner started looking at carb again because condenser was new. Yep you guessed it condenser was failing in a very wierd way .

Another check you may be able to do is after engine cuts out use a test bulb in the circuit between the coil and distributor, see if bulb flashes when crank engine on starter motor.

Can you post a picture of distributor with cap and rotor arm removed?

Hello again Jack

yes condenser also raised its head to me too.

I have heard that the quality has suffered over the years. However, I replaced it several times with no effect and also dispensed with it for the electronic ignition test and the same result ensued.

I did have some ragged running on two occasions (sort of rough running but different to fuel starvation if you know what i mean) and recently the rev range was very limited and i nursed it home in second. This reminded me of the experience of failing condensers that i have had on other cars however by the time i have changed them over on this Fiat, the temperature has dropped anyway, which meant the car will start anyway!

Therefore i have made a "quick-change over for the next capacitor".

PS i cannot post a picture because i think you have to set up dropbox or something. I can email you a pic.

RDS

Last edited:
Over in the 500 Classic section there is often mention of modern replacement capacitors going faulty soon after installation or even not working new out of the box. Someone, possibly 'fiat500' in the course of his investigations came across some useful information about modern capacitor construction and how/why they fail so soon and gave a couple of links, worth reading.

If that dealer fitted alarm system is still connected, I'd try disconnecting it, alarms are notorious for going faulty after a few years. Also, check that no other anti-theft devices are fitted.

You mention that a new fuel pump and sender unit were recently fitted - you don't say how long you've had the car or if it has had this problem of cutting out when you bought it.

'jackwhoo's suggestion of wiring up the coil direct to the battery and also fitting a new low tension lead is I think a good idea (y) - this will remove any possible interference that the alarm/immobiliser might be having, as well as ruling out any issue with the ignition switch (which you've already tried), coil low tension lead or possibly faulty revcounter.

Re:- how to check for a spark if you've no one to help. With the distributor cap removed, engine turned to where the contact breaker points are closed, car out of gear, coil lead disconnected from dist. cap and held circa 6mm from a good earth on the engine, just flick the points open with a small screwdriver - this should result in a good spark between the end of the coil HT lead and earth. Remembering that this is difficult to do on an X1/9 :) (iirc there is a removable access plate behind the spare wheel? inside the cabin, might only be on the earlier 1300 model?) instead of trying to open the points using a screwdriver, you could alternatively remove the nut holding the low tension (distributor) lead onto the coil (iirc it's held on by a nut), leave the terminal sitting on the coil threaded stud, switch on the ignition to allow to coil to 'build-up', then after a few seconds, remove the low tension lead from the coil stud (use an insulated pliers)- this will have the same effect as the c/b points being opened, i.e. the magnetic field in the coil will collapse. resulting in a big spark between the coil ht lead and earth. Doing the check this way also has the advantage of eliminating a capacitor shorting out when hot from the equation. The main purpose of an ignition capacitor is to reduce wear on the c/b points due to arcing, it also has another purpose which evades me at the moment...

I don't think I'd bother either with checking the valve clearances just yet, they rarely closed up much on the sohc or dohc Fiat engines. If they were closed up significantly, I'd expect performance to gradually drop off, be difficult to re-start when hot, maybe to backfire through the carb if an inlet valve were affected etc., not for the engine to cut-out relatively suddenly (I noted the c. 10 sec delay you mentioned). You could perform a cylinder compression check both cold and hot, and then again after the engine has cut out but iirc, it's not recommended to remove spark plugs from a very hot engine... There is a way of using a vacuum gauge to spot tight valve clearances but I can't remember what readings you would expect if this was happening. (might be a momentary dip in the reading if only one valve is affected, I don't know if it would indicate if all valves clearances were tight).

You mention that your carb seems to get quite hot (I'm thinking fuel vaporisation as a consequence) and that the engine bay temperature is very hot, what is the engine coolant temperature? If this is also high it might be indicative of tight valve clearances, particularly if the coolant temperature increases just before the engine cuts-out. If I thought a carb was running to hot, I'd try cooling it down by spraying it with cold air e.g. by using an airline/ leaf blower/ shop vacuum set to blow air, or spray it with water. I suppose you could bring a spray bottle of water with you and use this to try to cool down the carb and fuel pump and see if the engine then restarts.

One frequently used way of tapping into the inlet manifold vacuum is to tap into the vacuum pipe going to the brake servo - but the X1/9 doesn't have a brake servo? Another way used to be to tap into the vacuum pipe going to the distributor vacuum advance unit?, but the X1/9 doesn't have a vacuum advance unit on the distributor either, well not on the U.K spec models anyway. Yet another way used to be to fit an aftermarket carb spacer (insulation) plate that came ready-fitted with a hose stub - these were available for a variety of carbs - I don't know where you get one nowadays or if you'd be bothered trying to get one/make one? You did mention trying to get and fit an additional heat insulator?, so maybe modify your existing insulator plate to accept a pipe stub to connect your vacuum gauge onto?Probably easier to carefully examine the inlet manifold to see if there are any blanked off connections or existing hose connections that you could tap-into?

Don't be fooled into assuming that fuel in the fuel filter equates with sufficient fuel in the carb float chamber, it might not be if vaporisation has occurred, pumps can't suck vapour, they're not great at pumping vapour either, so any fuel in the filter won't be pushed into the carb. Ditto, the fact that you get fuel spraying from the pump jet doesn't mean there is sufficient fuel in the carb. float chamber, the accelerator pump has it's own little store of fuel under it's operating diaphragm, try opening the throttle a few times to check if the accelerator pump can keep delivering fuel, i.e. that there is sufficient fuel in the carb. float chamber to replenish the acc. pump circuit. There might not be, if fuel vaporisation has occurred, although the engine should attempt to start after you squirted fuel in by operating the accelerator pump jet.

I still don't know about the wisdom of using these coils that have 20kOhm secondary resistance - I always associate these as being for use with electronic ignition systems, can't you find a replacement coil that is close to the original Fiat one or as 'jackwhoo' suggests, just refit the original (it hasn't been proven to be faulty and replacing it with a 20kOhm sec. one has helped).

That 'cyclonic valve' looks to me to be a simple engine breather housing - there's nothing inside except a central tube, it's purpose is to separate oil from any piston blowby, so that only 'fumes' enter the breather pipe connected to the airfilter. It practically never gives any trouble, doesn't even need occasional cleaning out - all you'll find if you remove it is a little harmless varnish coating assuming the engine has had reasonably regular oil changes. I don't have a Haynes manual for your car so I can't check out the control valve on page 62, at item 4. If no drive belt is fitted for this device, then you probably don't have one. The X1/9 was marketed in various countries, some of it's specifications/equipment were varied to suit, you should see what one destined for use in 'dusty conditions' had fitted, I worked on one that should have gone to Australia...:bang: Just be glad that you don't have some of the rubbish fitted that's mentioned in the manuals, less to go wrong.

Can't you get the cut-out problem to materialize on roads other than motorways, dual-carriageways etc? Would sure making carrying out some checks as soon as the engine cuts-out a lot easier and safer.

The only other advice I can offer is to leave the carb. alone until you've positively ruled out an ignition problem.

I find it strange, that the only improvement came when you hot-wired the ignition, you said the car restarted at the 2nd attempt and didn't cut-out again. Why not just run the car in this mode for a while, try driving for more than 45 mins and see what happens.

Sorry for the lengthy post, some people have suggested I should write a book, but I can't seem to find anything to write about...

Al.

Last edited:
Over in the 500 Classic section there is often mention of modern replacement capacitors going faulty soon after installation or even not working new out of the box. Someone, possibly 'fiat500' in the course of his investigations came across some useful information about modern capacitor construction and how/why they fail so soon and gave a couple of links, worth reading.

If that dealer fitted alarm system is still connected, I'd try disconnecting it, alarms are notorious for going faulty after a few years. Also, check that no other anti-theft devices are fitted.

You mention that a new fuel pump and sender unit were recently fitted - you don't say how long you've had the car or if it has had this problem of cutting out when you bought it.

'jackwhoo's suggestion of wiring up the coil direct to the battery and also fitting a new low tension lead is I think a good idea (y) - this will remove any possible interference that the alarm/immobiliser might be having, as well as ruling out any issue with the ignition switch (which you've already tried), coil low tension lead or possibly faulty revcounter.

Re:- how to check for a spark if you've no one to help. With the distributor cap removed, engine turned to where the contact breaker points are closed, car out of gear, coil lead disconnected from dist. cap and held circa 6mm from a good earth on the engine, just flick the points open with a small screwdriver - this should result in a good spark between the end of the coil HT lead and earth. Remembering that this is difficult to do on an X1/9 :) (iirc there is a removable access plate behind the spare wheel? inside the cabin, might only be on the earlier 1300 model?) instead of trying to open the points using a screwdriver, you could alternatively remove the nut holding the low tension (distributor) lead onto the coil (iirc it's held on by a nut), leave the terminal sitting on the coil threaded stud, switch on the ignition to allow to coil to 'build-up', then after a few seconds, remove the low tension lead from the coil stud (use an insulated pliers)- this will have the same effect as the c/b points being opened, i.e. the magnetic field in the coil will collapse. resulting in a big spark between the coil ht lead and earth. Doing the check this way also has the advantage of eliminating a capacitor shorting out when hot from the equation. The main purpose of an ignition capacitor is to reduce wear on the c/b points due to arcing, it also has another purpose which evades me at the moment...

I don't think I'd bother either with checking the valve clearances just yet, they rarely closed up much on the sohc or dohc Fiat engines. If they were closed up significantly, I'd expect performance to gradually drop off, be difficult to re-start when hot, maybe to backfire through the carb if an inlet valve were affected etc., not for the engine to cut-out relatively suddenly (I noted the c. 10 sec delay you mentioned). You could perform a cylinder compression check both cold and hot, and then again after the engine has cut out but iirc, it's not recommended to remove spark plugs from a very hot engine... There is a way of using a vacuum gauge to spot tight valve clearances but I can't remember what readings you would expect if this was happening. (might be a momentary dip in the reading if only one valve is affected, I don't know if it would indicate if all valves clearances were tight).

You mention that your carb seems to get quite hot (I'm thinking fuel vaporisation as a consequence) and that the engine bay temperature is very hot, what is the engine coolant temperature? If this is also high it might be indicative of tight valve clearances, particularly if the coolant temperature increases just before the engine cuts-out. If I thought a carb was running to hot, I'd try cooling it down by spraying it with cold air e.g. by using an airline/ leaf blower/ shop vacuum set to blow air, or spray it with water. I suppose you could bring a spray bottle of water with you and use this to try to cool down the carb and fuel pump and see if the engine then restarts.

One frequently used way of tapping into the inlet manifold vacuum is to tap into the vacuum pipe going to the brake servo - but the X1/9 doesn't have a brake servo? Another way used to be to tap into the vacuum pipe going to the distributor vacuum advance unit?, but the X1/9 doesn't have a vacuum advance unit on the distributor either, well not on the U.K spec models anyway. Yet another way used to be to fit an aftermarket carb spacer (insulation) plate that came ready-fitted with a hose stub - these were available for a variety of carbs - I don't know where you get one nowadays or if you'd be bothered trying to get one/make one? You did mention trying to get and fit an additional heat insulator?, so maybe modify your existing insulator plate to accept a pipe stub to connect your vacuum gauge onto?Probably easier to carefully examine the inlet manifold to see if there are any blanked off connections or existing hose connections that you could tap-into?

Don't be fooled into assuming that fuel in the fuel filter equates with sufficient fuel in the carb float chamber, it might not be if vaporisation has occurred, pumps can't suck vapour, they're not great at pumping vapour either, so any fuel in the filter won't be pushed into the carb. Ditto, the fact that you get fuel spraying from the pump jet doesn't mean there is sufficient fuel in the carb. float chamber, the accelerator pump has it's own little store of fuel under it's operating diaphragm, try opening the throttle a few times to check if the accelerator pump can keep delivering fuel, i.e. that there is sufficient fuel in the carb. float chamber to replenish the acc. pump circuit. There might not be, if fuel vaporisation has occurred, although the engine should attempt to start after you squirted fuel in by operating the accelerator pump jet.

I still don't know about the wisdom of using these coils that have 20kOhm secondary resistance - I always associate these as being for use with electronic ignition systems, can't you find a replacement coil that is close to the original Fiat one or as 'jackwhoo' suggests, just refit the original (it hasn't been proven to be faulty and replacing it with a 20kOhm sec. one has helped).

That 'cyclonic valve' looks to me to be a simple engine breather housing - there's nothing inside except a central tube, it's purpose is to separate oil from any piston blowby, so that only 'fumes' enter the breather pipe connected to the airfilter. It practically never gives any trouble, doesn't even need occasional cleaning out - all you'll find if you remove it is a little harmless varnish coating assuming the engine has had reasonably regular oil changes. I don't have a Haynes manual for your car so I can't check out the control valve on page 62, at item 4. If no drive belt is fitted for this device, then you probably don't have one. The X1/9 was marketed in various countries, some of it's specifications/equipment were varied to suit, you should see what one destined for use in 'dusty conditions' had fitted, I worked on one that should have gone to Australia...:bang: Just be glad that you don't have some of the rubbish fitted that's mentioned in the manuals, less to go wrong.

Can't you get the cut-out problem to materialize on roads other than motorways, dual-carriageways etc? Would sure making carrying out some checks as soon as the engine cuts-out a lot easier and safer.

The only other advice I can offer is to leave the carb. alone until you've positively ruled out an ignition problem.

I find it strange, that the only improvement came when you hot-wired the ignition, you said the car restarted at the 2nd attempt and didn't cut-out again. Why not just run the car in this mode for a while, try driving for more than 45 mins and see what happens.

Sorry for the lengthy post, some people have suggested I should write a book, but I can't seem to find anything to write about...

Al.
Great post Al,

The condenser increases the power of the spark hugely buy increasing the speed at which the magnetic field collapses and other stuff which I won't get into here.

Dead but not short circuited condenser usually means very hard to start engine or no start at all due to weak spark.

Suffice it to say you need a working condenser in circuit to get a good spark.

Oh thought has just come to me.....
Does this x1/9 use a ballasted coil?
If it does and the ballast resistor goes bad when hot it could cut out then restart when cold.The direct +ve feed to coil would rule that out, don't forget to remove all other wires on coil +ve and insulate them.

One last thing , new pump doesn't mean good pump.

Cheers Jack

Last edited:
Hello Jack

re: Dead but not short circuited condenser usually means very hard to start engine or no start at all due to weak spark.
Engine starts well with 2-4 pumps of the accelerator pedal (prior o start) to re-set the choke.

Re Ballasted coil: no, this is a nominal 3 Ohm coil (actually 2.7 Ohm primary but I have added additional heavy duty resistor to bring up to 3 Ohm, no difference though anyway). NB I do not think the UK model uses ballast coil ignition.

re pump: I tested valve leak and it is ok, pumping rate however was not testable. easy to test with an electric pump, less so with the mechanical pump fitted, annoyingly.

RDS

Back