Technical Front auxiliary lights

Currently reading:
Technical Front auxiliary lights

RDS

Inside the headlamp hatches there is an "unused" male/female terminal connected to a black (earth) and green (live, off the headlamp main beam circuit) and protected by a 10A fuse.

The Auxiliary lights come on when main-beam is used.

Does anyone know what the wattage was for the factory-fitted auxiliary lights and whether the fuse was changed to suit? Was the loom and relay and switch also upgraded?

In other words, is the standard gauge of cable in the loom and the relay and switch capable of handling a new auxiliary light (max wattage to be determined).

Cheers

RDS

Whilst waiting for a reply I have fitted led h3 bulbs to my lights. V nice but not enough projection so would still be great to know what was fitted as an option originally

Hi
I worked on these in the early 80's when they were new and from memory the driving lights that we fitted [HELLA] only came on with main beam and were fitted with 55watt bulbs
The HELLA lights were made of steel painted black in a crackle finish paint and had stainless steel lens surround with a HELLA lens cover which you removed prior to use and helped protect the lens from stone damage
Luigi

Here you go
Luigi

Attachments

• a67ddb89-9605-4874-9f6c-ccebb2200ba7.jpg
    a67ddb89-9605-4874-9f6c-ccebb2200ba7.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 30
  • p-1110-jumbo-220-clear-with-chrome-bezel.jpg
    p-1110-jumbo-220-clear-with-chrome-bezel.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 211
Grazie mille Luigi!
Is that Still using the main beam 10A fuse? Using 65W main beam and 55W auxiliary lamps takes that to 10A exactly, using a 15A fuse gives a little overhead but will the cables and connections take it?

Thanks again
RDS

Hi
Im pretty sure there was a switch for the driving lights on the switch panel so as to NOT have them on on main beam
I'm also positive that we fitted a relay for the driving lights on that connector you have and then picked up a live from the fuse box to power the lights on a 8amp fuse [I think] this would then not put any more load on the wiring to the main beam circuit
It's been a long time since we were doing this i'm 57 now so you do the math
I did own an X19 in the mid 90's it was a bertone 1500 5 speed and I bought it for £400 !!!!!

Many thanks again; yes that sounds sensible (perhaps 10A fuse though); I would have to work out where the best place is on the fuse box. At the moment the low wattage LEDs are ok

Best wishes

RDS

Hiya
I like LEDS and the only thing that would bother me is the headlights aren't LED although you can get H4 in LED so that would mean a very simple wiring job as there would be hardly any load on your existing lighting loom
LUIGI

yes i may go H4 for the headlamps in due course but the H3 led aux lamps are only 2w and well within the fuse rating when the 65w headlamps are on.

cheers

RDS

Back