Technical Gear linkage subtle adjustment - how?

Currently reading:
Technical Gear linkage subtle adjustment - how?

RDS

hello all

I had very poor gear selection and changed the lollipop and bolts. I had to have the help of a friend in the car and me down his pit to make the adjustment which was not fun. Initially all seemed well.

Before I changed the old and worn one, I had good 4th gear but no 5th or reverse (being the opposing pair in the gate (far right)). Now, with the new lollipop and bolts I managed to get all gears but a road test showed that i had a weak 4th: it pops out of the gate on the overrun or when there is no load.

I conclude that there is a happy medium to the adjustment but I cannot see how to get it without continuous on/off ramps and assistance, which i cannot rely on or get very often!!!

Therefore can anyone please describe how to get a good solid 4th whilst not losing any other gear/adversely affecting any?

cheers

RDS

AFAIK the adjustment is done with the box in neutral and the gear lever in the central position.. . IE stick dead central and upright.

Is the clutch clearing? Not dragging...adjustment of the slave cylinder arm? Bled properly?

Are the gear lever bushes ok? No excessive play?

hello Neg

Yes all the above sorted but it is the final adjustment that is the issue: how to do the fine adjustment to get the stick to stay in 4th (whilst keeping the others)

ie do i give the lollipop bracket:
1 more "length" with regard to the front linkage and more length with the rear linkage, or
2 more "length" with regard to the front linkage and no more length with the rear, or
3 less "length" with regard to the front linkage and more length with the rear, or
4 less "length" with regard to the front linkage and no more length with the rear, or
5, 6, 7 etc any of the above but with less length at the rear.

As i said, trial and error really isn't an option sadly!

cheers
RDS

Sorry RDS, can't help you there, I just followed the description in the Hanyes manual and it worked. I take it there isn't excessive moment of the engine? IE is the dog bone engine mount good?

Thanks Neg

there isn't much info in the Haynes apart from "tighten it up"

Interesting you mention the engine mount because separately i have wondered about it being too rigid and transmitting movement back to the body: the best way i can describe the ride is that at some revs it feels like I am on a "hard-tail" (ie no rear suspension) motorcycle in that there is a bounce in the saddle instead of the (bike's non-existent) suspension. May be related to this matter....?

RDS

Back