Technical A NEW battery recommendation thread

Currently reading:
Technical A NEW battery recommendation thread

RDS

Hello all

there have been one or two prior threads on this topic but the market moved on so I thought i'd ask if anyone has recently bought a battery for the X1/9 in the UK that they'd recommend.

I don't have one to copy from in the car and the "battery wizards" on line always require you to verify the fitment yourself, hence this post.

I'd like to keep the battery within the space available in the recess and under the battery cover but i want as much CCA as reasonably available for a reasonable price.

Preferably AGM, but Wet is ok (gel seems to need a special charger when re-charging out of car).

Also, what terminal configuration?

Research so far indicates that 065 or 077 or Bosch S5 may fit, but as i say, i want the impossible: max power for min price in the package that fits the car recess!

Thanks in advance

RDS

Mine have been 063's - fits OK, terminals are the right type/orientation for the leads.
About a year ago, I spent £70+ on a new Varta (075) for my wife's car; my 145's battery then packed up, which is the same size. Knowing the wife was changing her car soon, I bought a sub-£40 one of ebay with the same or better capacity/CCA but only a 4 year warranty instead of 5. I swapped them over before she sold the car.
Tayna.co.uk are good, next day delivery, well packed, though interestingly, they list 002L for the X1/9!
HTH

Thanks Steve
What orientation are the terminals? Positive top left?
Cheers
RDS

I am willing to be corrected but I think that an 077 is the best fit for size and having the right terminal layout. There seems to be only a limited choice now of anything with the +ive on the left. My local Halfords has none on its list. I have had an Exide from Eurocarparts which lasted about 4 years but have now gone for a Varta from Tanya which seems good so far. Fitting other sizes would involve some work to the main leads (certainly on my car). Not difficult but ? worth the hassle.

Hello Iggy

a search on tayna yields this for 077 batteries:
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/types/077/

as you will see the height of the offerings seems variable and i think fouls the top of the battery cover (i think it will accommodate 185mm tall batteries but need confirmation). 400A cca seems the max and the price is ok i suppose

by contrast for 063 batteries
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/types/063/
520A cca is possible for a little more £.

If the 063 fits i'll go with that unless there is a larger capacity battery within the battery box parameters that i do not have and would like to receive, if any one can be definitive please?

cheers

RDS

Back