Technical Question about CV Joints

Currently reading:
Technical Question about CV Joints

I received a new replacement CV joint for the one on my 82 X1/9. The old CV joint has what the service manual refers to as a 'Cover'. I could not get the old CV joint off of the axle (which is why I ordered axle, CV joint, and washer from Midwest Bayless). I realized I needed the 'cover' piece after I received the new parts. I ordered the cover, and now am trying to determine how to install it on the CV joint.

A sort of brass hat-shaped part (see picture) that needs to be in place for the boot to have somewhere to be clamped onto.

How should this be connected to the CV joint? Is it just a press-fit? Or do they use some form of adhesive?

Attachments

• 20180207_172228.jpg
    20180207_172228.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 51
  • CV Joint Cover.png
    CV Joint Cover.png
    437.5 KB · Views: 277
Hi skilmaker

The top hat Just bolts onto the cv joint.

I guess you could put some blue hylomar / gasket sealant on it if you wanted. They are a snug fit. I didn't put anything on them.

Getting the boots to fit tightly is the main challenge. Special clips and pliers sres available but i find if all else fails a large zip tie works well at keeping the grease in.

Last edited:
If i recall correctly the cv joint is the same as a model of English Ford so they can be bought quite cheaply.

Thanks! I have the new CV joint, and I just ordered the cover. On the old CV joint, someone did use some form of sealant, so I was not able to determine how they were assembled.

Now that you mention it, it makes sense that the bolts passing through the cover would hold it onto the CV joint. I might be extra cautious and use some sealant, depending on how tight the fitment is.

As always, you are a recognized wealth of knowledge.

Thanks again.

Both axles are completed and ready to install. All the boots replaced and clamps put in place.

Does anyone know the proper torque for the allen-head bolts that hold the CV joints to the transmission (and the wheel-side stub shaft)?

Is it 22 lbft?

I can't find the torque value in my official Fiat X1/9 shop manual! :bang:

Hi, nice to see you are still at it!

My manual states Torque wrench settings for Driveshaft flange bolts (5 speed) is 25lb f ft/ 3.5kg kg fm.

Kind regards

John.(y)(y)(y)

Back