Register Login
Lamps by Post - For all your lighting needs

Old 11-11-2017   #46
Trader Rating: 0
USA 
Re: Restoring an 82 X1/9

BOTH seat rails on drivers side removed. Brake calipers for right hand side ready to be put back together.

Getting dark now, at 5pm in FL. Man, I hate daylight savings time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171111_165741.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	185693   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171111_165804.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	185694  

Old 12-11-2017   #47
USA 

Rear Brakes:

Yet another tech tip: When you have the rebuild kit for the rear brakes, it comes with a large o-ring for inside the caliper, an accordian ring for keeping dust out of the piston area, and a tiny o-ring for each side. The tiny o-ring is for the emergency brake actuator. Do not lose it. They do NOT sell it separately.

Guess who lost one? Now I can't complete the job until the new kit arrives.

Front brakes are both done!

Still have not gotten to replacing the master cylinders.

Oh well.
Old 21-11-2017   #48
USA 

Front and Rear calipers are rebuilt, painted, and re-installed, over new rotors.

Started removing the slave cylinder for the clutch. Good thing I also ordered a new slave cylinder line, as the old one was way beyond its shelf life.

As with this restoration, it always seems to be one step forward and two steps back...

Now that I have the slave cylinder out of the way, the clutch seems to be 'frozen'. No actuation as far as I can tell from moving the clutch release lever. So, ordered a new clutch, which should be here by Friday, so I know where I'll be this weekend. Hopefully the flywheel is salvageable.

Also found more proof that whoever owned this 'gem' in the past did shoddy work and broke MANY things. The pipe fittings for the water connections on the drivers side of the engine? Yep, one of those is broken off partially. So I'll be fixing that as well.

Now, for the question for the masses... Is there any 'easy' way to remove the coolant pipes from underneath the car? With the amount of rust and silt I see there, I really don't want to hook up my shiny fancy aluminum radiator, just to have it filled with debris. I'd rather replace the coolant pipes with some stainless tubing.
Old 02-12-2017   #49
USA 

Only took 2 hours to get the transmission removed. Found that the clutch disk was
a) Rusted to the pressure plate and flywheel
b) Too thick. Removed = 8.9mm, new = 7.3mm

Other than that, the old throwout bearing, pressure plate, and clutch disk are actually in pretty good shape. I wonder if someone got the wrong clutch disk for the application. Also, leaving it where rain can get to the clutch assembly through the access hole in the transmission bellhousing didn't help.

Tomorrow: Clean the transmission outside and bell housing, replace the transmission fluid, remove and install the new throwout bearing, clean the flywheel, and then install the NEW pressure plate and flywheel. THEN re-assembly, and I will be back where I started LAST weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171202_102706.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	186322   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171202_102720.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	186323  

Name:	20171202_102731.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	186324   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171202_102736.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	186325  

Thanks purf thanked for this post
Old 03-12-2017   #50
United Kingdom 

Good effort! The coolant pipes go through a box section which is spot welded to the floor pan. Lots of drilling required.

Some people cut the pipes and install thinner copper pipes to make it easier.

You could just flush the old pipes and see how long they last for now.
Old 06-12-2017   #51
USA 

Project X1/9: Flywheel removed, cleaned, rust removed, ready for reinstall. Sheetmetal behind flywheel wire brushed, first coat of rust restorer primer applied. Under-Engine/transmission support bar wire brushed, and first coat applied.

New pressure plate and clutch disc cleaned up, and ready to install.

Now, just need to manhandle that 91lb transmission & bellhousing around so I can clean it, replace the fluid, and get it ready for re-install.

I think I'll also look to see what it takes to replace the main seal at the end of the crankshaft. I mean, since I have it apart and everything...
Old 09-12-2017   #52
USA 

Project X1/9: Finally made some progress today, with no bad news to set me back.

Drained oil from engine. Black and thick, but not gummy or gritty. Removed oil pan, and no chunks or bearing particles to be found.

Removed main seal carrier from flywheel end of engine, and cleaned it up.

Oil pan gasket and main seal carrier gasket both came away clean.

Now, just need to clean the oil pan and transmission, and wait for some parts to arrive mid-week (Gaskets and the seal), and I should be ready for re-assembly.

I did find that one of the CV joint rubber boots needs to be replaced. Cheap, and not too difficult to do.

Overall, a fine day.
Old 10-12-2017   #53
Ireland 

While you have the sump off, you might check out the oil pump. Iirc on some of these sohc engines, the pressure relief valve could stick. Back in the day, I saw several oil filters burst when this happened... (was on 128 and 127GT, 1300 cc models, afaik similar to the X1/9 engine).

Great and thorough workmanship so far.

Al.
Thanks Skillmaker thanked for this post
Old 16-12-2017   #54
USA 

Project X1/9: I have been cleaning up and preparing for a family visit. So, not a lot of time to devote to that 35 year old rascal Fiat.

Having said that, the oil pan needed a serious amount of elbow grease and love. Behold, before, and after (after disassembly followed by two hours of cleaning, scraping, wire brushing, cleaning some more, and reassembly followed by primer and final aluminum top coat).

Won't be able to work on it for a couple weeks, as family time is more important than garage time. And on that you can quote me. Expect to get greasy some more and start re-assembly of the engine parts and clutch and new oil, and then hook up the new fuel pressure regulator, and replace the master cylinders... Man, I just seem to be stuck on the same merry-go-round.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171216_151329.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	186795   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171216_151356.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	186796  

Name:	20171216_163122.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	186797   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171216_171409.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	186798  

Name:	20171216_171420.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	186799  
Likes varesecrazy, purf, F123C liked this post
Old 18-01-2018   #55
USA 

My back went out again, so I was very limited in what I could accomplish. Didn't really get anything done for a few weeks. Starting to get back into it.

For you really car-geeky folks out there, here is todays Fiat X1/9 update:

Pulled off the rear main bearing cap, and determined that the thrust washer that I found in the oil pan was damaged. Straightened out the lower thrust washer half, cleaned everything up, and then reinstalled the main bearing cap WITH the lower half thrust washer in place. Looks like it should hold this time, and NOT drop the thrust washer lower half into the oil pan again.

For anyone that wonders, the thrust washer is in two halves and sits between the rear main bearing cap and the part of the crankshaft that the flywheel bolts to. The thrust washer is designed to reduce the end-to-end play of the crankshaft. The rear main bearing cap has a machined recess into which the lower thrust washer half sits. The recess is very very shallow, and in my case, the thrust washer half looks like it was flung out of it at some point, and ended up laying in the oil pan. If you are working on the bottom end of a 1500 sohc engine, the lower thrust washer has a bevel that should match the bevel in the end bearing cap.

Then, I re-installed the rear main seal which had been placed in the main seal carrier, and re-installed the (now clean and shiny) oil pan. Put in a new oil filter, and will refill the oil after I make one more round of re-torqueing the oil pan bolts.

Should have the flywheel installed tomorrow evening, along with the new clutch disk and new pressure plate.

Started cleaning the oil and accumulated dirt off of the transmission, and it looks like I am about 20 percent done so far. MAN that thing was UGLY!

I should be able to re-install the transmission on Saturday, and then re-assemble all of the parts and pieces that I had to disassemble in order to take out the clutch disk. Maybe I'll have it back together by Sunday sometime.

I still need to replace the CV joint boots, which will involve disassembly, cleaning and reassembly and greasing of the CV joints

Next project is to complete the installation of the aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, and replace the cold-start valve, so maybe I can get it to run better and actually rev beyond idle.

THEN, it's back to finishing the replacement of the clutch slave and master cylinder, and the brake master cylinder, and then top up the fluids and bleed the system.

What a journey. I am not so sure anymore that I will have it ready for the Fiat Freak Out at Disneyworld in August.
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
Old 22-01-2018   #56
USA 

I am still cleaning the X1/9 transmission. It has reached the point where, at least, every time I touch it I don't have to say 'Eeeewwww! Yucky!"

I think another hour or two and I'll be ready for re-assembly.

It is almost 'Yeah, that should go in the car' clean. I won't bother getting it to 'Yeah, I could store that in the living room' clean.

So, I am another week behind my expectations. However, when all is said and done, it should make the car nicer to be around, and more pleasant to work on, when that time comes again.

This thing better last another 35 years when I'm done with it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180121_195529.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	187821   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180121_195539.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	187822  

Name:	20180121_195556.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	187823  
Old 24-01-2018   #57
USA 

Okay, now after another hour and a half with wire brush, scraper, nylon parts brush, 'Super Clean', and a hose with hot water, I pronounce the transmission to be fit for the Fiat.

I did find that whoever filled the transmission before me overfilled it by almost a quart. Could be why it was so messy, between the rear main seal, and the transmission breather valve spewing transmission oil.

Next up: Some Assembly Gonna Happen, fer shur!

After I get the garage a bit more cleaned up, and the major components back in place, I need to get the CV joints removed from the axles, cleaned, greased, the axles cleaned and re-painted, and the CV boots replaced, before I re-install the axles.

Then get the fuel pressure regulator replaced, and the master and slave cylinders and the hydraulic fluid and reservoir and new hoses, and, and, and...
Likes F123C, varesecrazy liked this post
Old 26-01-2018   #58
USA 

Project Mutant update: It is truly a thing of beauty. Flywheel mounted and torqued to spec, clutch pressure plate and new disc in place, and torqued, transmission clean and new throwout bearing in place and clipped to the actuator arm.

Took a chance, and found out that an Empi VW Air-cooled flywheel lock works perfectly for holding the Fiat flywheel in place (and only costs $11). So much easier to torque when you have the right tools. I know people that use vice grips and screwdrivers and etc. to hold the flywheel in place, but frankly that sounds like a recipe for a minor disaster in my hands.

At this point, I am ready to put the transaxle back into place, and will need a spare set of hands to do so. Need someone to operate the engine hoist and lift and lower the transaxle whilst I wrangle it into place. May need to borrow a family member to get that done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180125_192602.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	187925   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180125_192612.jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	187926  

Name:	20180125_192724.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	187927  
Likes F123C liked this post
Old 27-01-2018   #59
USA 

Project Mutant: Transmission is back on the engine, starter is in place, everything seems 'better' now.

Found another potential source of trans oil leakage, as the rubber boot for the shift linkage on the transmission side has split. Ordered a new one.

Will hold off on finishing the re-install until after I get the shift boot replaced. No sense in encouraging leaks or having to do it a second time.

While waiting for the new boot, I will start working on the CV joints. Should have the transmission/clutch/shifter/axles wrapped up by next weekend.

WooHoo! Then onto the remainder of the list!
Old 28-01-2018   #60
Ireland 

Is there not also a seal inside the casing where the gearshift shaft exits the transmission ?

I.e. the boot is to keep dirt away from the seal and stop the shaft from rusting? not to keep the oil in ?

Did you not remove the engine and transmission as one unit?. This makes it easier to refit same when working alone. (as far as I can recall!)

AL.

Last edited by F123C; 28-01-2018 at 01:12.
F123C is offline Reply With Quote Quote