Basket Case 1.jpg

X1/9 Restoring an 82 X1/9

Introduction

My Fiat X1/9 project

MANY years ago, I used to own Fiats. My first NEW car was a Fiat 128 sedan. I drove it mercilessly, autocrossed it frequently, and it never had a failure or let me down (including towing a single snowmobile trailer in Alaskan winters!).

I moved to X1/9s, and have had several. A street car, that was yellow, which I ended up running in the Fur Rendezvous Gran Prix, a sanctioned road race run on downtown streets around a carnival in Anchorage Alaska in February. Then a pure race car that was red with various white parts on it, Carrera coil overs, PBS engineering head, exhaust, etc., which was an autocross maniac. After that was a stock metallic green X in Seattle. Perfect car for Seattle traffic.

Now, some 35 years later, I found the desire to bring one back from the grave. I found an 82 (first time I am dealing with fuel injection) that has sat in a pole barn for several years. Maybe 5 years. Parts of it sat in the woods (hence the hail damage and really terrible primer on the hood hiding surface rust bubbles). Someone started to prep it for paint, and did some disassembly, but it was literally a basket case. When I went to pick it up, I ended up with 4 crates of parts and components, as well as a pickup-truck bed of other parts, hoods, engine covers, etc. It was Mediterranean blue, and various shades of primer and rust and etc. There was some surface rust, but no rust-through areas. It had over 100K miles, a clean title, and a key, no battery, and it looks like most of the parts are there.

The car suffers from being exceptionally dirty (a couple wasp nests, LOTS of leaves), and there was some water intrusion in the various cavities. Those issues have been handled.

The goals are as follows:

Clean it up visually: Remove bumpers, mounts, side marker lights, pop up headlights, and weld everything over and smooth.

Get it ‘pretty’: New wheels. New paint, deep purple metallic. Interior changed from blue to black. No rust, all visible surfaces painted and clean to the touch. Interior cleaned up and any missing parts replaced. Projector beam H1 headlights, and LED turn signals up front.

Get it comfortable: New carpet, new seats, 4 point harnesses, etc.

Make sure it functions, even if different than designed: For instance, get rid of all three rusty hood latches and cables, and replace with flush mount pushbutton hood pins, some of which would be lockable.

THEN get the wiring straightened out, and get the 85hp injected motor running, and have a fun weekend driver.

Long term goal, maybe a year out: Switch it over to a Honda K20A2 motor with a Honda 6 speed limited slip transmission (and over 200HP). Midwest-Bayless has a rather expensive kit that makes this possible, with a limited amount of cutting and welding. :slayer:

The car has so far had the following done in the last 4 weeks, working 2 hours on Saturday morning, and 2 hours on Sunday morning before the heat and humidity make my garage uninhabitable, and whenever the heat and humidity allow me to work in the evening after my regular job:

Took the hood down to bare metal, treated for hail damage and one ding, painted with rust restorer primer, and then with a regular primer. Treated the underside of the hood to a nice satin-black paint job.

Sanded the rear decklid, treated with rust restorer primer and then with regular primer. Treated the underside of the lid to a nice satin-black paint job.

Door cards have been removed, cleaned and treated, and painted satin black.

Seats have been removed

Interior old blue carpet has been removed

Interior blue vinyl trim has been removed (blue? Really? Yuck!)

Cromodora Iron Cross wheels and old Kumho tires have been removed. Tires are actually in decent shape, wheels are in decent shape, and I have a spare wheel with road rash.

New tires (Toyo Proxes 195/45-15) have arrived, and new ‘Competizione’ 4x98 15x6.5 wheels should be here next week.

Targa top has been stripped. Latches have been treated for rust and painted to prevent further rusting. The trim and the 35 year old vinyl, foam, and gritty tar-like adhesive have been removed. The top has been painted with Bumper and Trim black paint.

Doors have been removed, and the door latch areas sanded and primed
Headlight buckets and motors have been removed

Radiator has been removed

Gas tank has been removed. Will be removing old gasoline that smells like turpentine, and then refreshing, cleaning the inside, and painting the outside.

Bumpers have been removed

Bumper Shocks have been removed

Whats Next:

Now there will be a couple months of perfecting the body, surface rust removal and treatment, in the front, interior, and rear compartments, as well as treating the rust on the outside of the body, and repairing any dings or small dents that I find.

I will be creating plates to replace the headlight buckets, cleaning up the wiring, and making the front end smoother.

Will cut out the bumper mount square tubing (and tow hooks) that extend out of the body in front and rear. Then I will make some threaded inserts to be able to put in racing tow straps or thread in tow hooks when needed. This will be followed by cover plates welded in and smoothed.

Will create cover plates for the four side marker lights, and weld them in. Will also be weld-filling in the various holes in the body for things that no longer require a mount.

Will be fabricating the mounts for the projector beam H1 headlights, which are just 2.5 inches in diameter, as well as the front marker/turn signal LED lights.

Once all the body work is done, I will turn the car over to a professional for the final coat of deep metallic purple.

Then it will be another couple months of sorting wiring, rebuilding an interior, and getting the engine singing happily.

Barring any major difficulties, should have it back on the road by 1st qtr of 2018.

And, during this process, I will be putting the following up on Ebay:
Front Bumper
Rear Bumper
Bumper Shocks
Seats
Headlight Buckets
Headlight Motors
Cromodora Wheels

I'll be posting some pictures, as soon as I figure out how.
Reactions: varesecrazy
New gas tank? Check!
New fuel filter? Check!
New Battery? Check!
Battery Installed? Not Yet.
New intake? Check!
Gas on-hand for new tank? Not yet?
Closer to starting? Ya, you betcha!

May be in position to start the engine next weekend.

Also have new speedo cable 50% installed, and will be wailing away on the engine cover tomorrow! Spectre intake components and air filter. Blue = good!

Attachments

• 20170903_140110.jpg
    20170903_140110.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 80
  • 20170903_140119.jpg
    20170903_140119.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
In Northeastern FL, we have had heat, hurricanes, and humidity. (FL has has 119 significant hurricanes since 1850).

I have not been able to spend any truly productive time in the garage, and probably won't until the weather cools down in a few weeks.

I did get my new radiator, and it is a thing of beauty.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1505588379344.jpg
    FB_IMG_1505588379344.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 77
Fiat Update - Got the new speedo cable run completely. Got most of the front trunk area cleaned up and sanded and primered.

Verified that the HID headlights make light, and that the license plate lights are going to work (and are cool, to boot).

The license plate arrived, and I mounted it just to see it in place.

I did some more work on the rust area under the fluid reservoirs, and started taking care of the largest dent. Also continued working on the interior.

Made sure the gas tank will hold fuel, with no leaks. Should just be a couple more weekends until I get it running. The fuse panel is downright SCARY! After I get done, there will be a TON of wires and relays that can be moved aside.

Attachments

• 20170923_102108.jpg
    20170923_102108.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 20170923_102124.jpg
    20170923_102124.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 92
Front trunk area now completely rust free, and once the paint dries, it will be a smooth satin black. Then the battery goes in, and then carpet.

Next up: Area behind radiator - sand to remove rust, rust reformer primer to STOP rust, and then repaint. It will NOT be painted satin black, it WILL be painted a purple. After that dries, I will be adding a couple connectors for the dual fans, and installing the new radiator and then filling the engine with coolant.

And, if Fiat ever comes up with the replacement for the X1/9, sign me up!

Attachments

• 20171001_111707.jpg
    20171001_111707.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 99
  • FB_IMG_1506464798096.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506464798096.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 93
Battery is in, but not hooked up yet. Bought a new battery tray, and had to do the mods to make it work right. Now, nice and solid, and looking good.

Radiator next weekend!

Attachments

• 20171001_182241.jpg
    20171001_182241.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 20171001_182251.jpg
    20171001_182251.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 79
Working on satin black interior with black and gray seats with purple seat belts, satin black for trunks, satin black for engine cover, yellow calipers, gunmetal/polished wheels, and high gloss deep purple metallic for outside.

Attachments

• Deep_Purple.jpg
    Deep_Purple.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Fiat_Seats.jpg
    Fiat_Seats.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Tanaka Belts.jpg
    Tanaka Belts.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
New seats for the X1/9 arrived. They are actually quite comfortable. Really strange how you can buy two seats and mounting brackets for about the same price as a single office chair.

About the only thing I don't have yet is a new windshield. Probably wait until I get the painting done.

Today I am working on finishing the new brake and clutch fluid reservoir lines, disassembling the brakes, and rebuilding the calipers, cleaning them, and prepping them for the YELLOW caliper paint.

Tomorrow will be brake caliper painting, then reassembly, and work on the radiator area.

Attachments

• 20171007_060722.jpg
    20171007_060722.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 47
  • 20171007_060708.jpg
    20171007_060708.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 66
Before and After brake parts. Left front corner ready to reassemble, after I paint the dust shield black.

Got the copper replacement reservoir lines completed (FINALLY), so when I get the brakes back together, it's time to BLEED! (bleed the air out of the brake lines, anyway).

Hooked up the new battery, and nothing happened. Turned the key, and the fuel pump didn't even run. Bummer. Oh well, I knew this was a one-way trip when I started it. We'll figure it out.

Attachments

• 20171007_091506.jpg
    20171007_091506.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 20171007_090106.jpg
    20171007_090106.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20171007_090056.jpg
    20171007_090056.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 20171007_084538.jpg
    20171007_084538.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 20171007_084536.jpg
    20171007_084536.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 20171007_094922.jpg
    20171007_094922.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 69
Turns out that, amongst all the wiring and rats nest of connectors that is currently laying all over where the dashboard will eventually go, are two connectors with 4 contacts each.

One of those connectors is supposed to be attached to the connector that ends at the ignition switch.

Plugged them together, and lo and behold, the engine now turns over. It didn't start, so I have some additional trouble shooting to do next weekend. BUT it is the first time I heard the engine in movement, and it is not seized. That in itself is excellent news.

Too hot to work on the brakes, so I will finish them next weekend. Then work on the engine issues. (Hmmm... I wonder where that single red wire that is not connected to anything is supposed to go?)

Determined that the non-start no-activity when the key was turned was due to the simple fact that the ignition switch 4-conductor male plug was not plugged into the 4 conductor female plug that connects it to the rest of the car. :bang: The electrical plugs for the dashboard and instrument binnacle are spread across the area where the dash will eventually be returned, as though a large group of electrical octopuses decided to have a wrestling match.

Made that connection, and the engine turns over, but doesn't start. Could be a dozen different reasons, but for now I am going to hope that it is just because there is no fuel in the system to speak of.

At least I know that the engine is not seized, and that the battery connection works. (y)

Put the battery tender charger on the battery, and will get some starting fluid, place some more fuel in the tank (along with a LARGE dose of injector cleaner), and try it again this weekend.

In the meantime, I have one corner of the brakes ready to re-assemble, and will work on the other three corners as time and temperature allows.

Will take a couple before and after pictures of the brakes.

Also determined I need new outer tie rod ends for the steering, as the rubber is completely cracked on the existing tie rods. Meh. 35 year old problems!

If anyone out there knows how to determine the month and year of manufacture, I would like to know. I can't seem to determine it from the VIN, unless I am looking at the wrong number order.

Alrighty then.

This is encouraging: Engine runs on starting fluid. :slayer:

Checked fuel line after fuel pump = no fuel. Checked electrical connections to fuel pump = good voltage with key turned on.

No activity from fuel pump = bad fuel pump (not surprising considering the rust and junk that came out of the old gas tank).

So, the hunt is on for a new or used fuel pump.

Brand new aftermarket fuel pump is on the way.

Each time the engine started, it made a loud gronk sound at the end of the 2-3 second run.

I am guessing that by starting the engine without coolant, that sound might just be the water pump. Sometimes, the stupid bug just jumps up an grabs me! :eek::eek:

So, I won't try any more starts until I get the cooling lines flushed and the new radiator installed and the engine filled with that precious green fluid.

Last edited:
New fuel pump arrived. Will install on Sunday (tomorrow is a Cars and Coffee morning at Everbank Field in Jax).

Before and After brake pictures. Before is right side, after is left side.

Now, only 3 more to go!

Attachments

• 20171013_170910.jpg
    20171013_170910.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20171013_180758.jpg
    20171013_180758.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 54
  • 20171013_181316.jpg
    20171013_181316.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Quick update: Installed new fuel pump. NOW it gets fuel. Starts and runs, idles (dies during idle, but that's a job for another day).

Gronk noise still happening. I am pretty sure it is the starter. Symptoms include only turning over sometimes. Might be the engagement selenoid. Anyways, probably time for a new starter.

THIS is an encouraging day!

Getting tired of ordering things for the Fiat project. Just the latest:
Rear brake hoses
New starter
30mm wire brushes to clean the radiator tubes
All new radiator hoses
New tie-rod ends
Heater control valve and gaskets
Chrome door poppers for the trunk releases
New shop manual for the 80+ Bertone X1/9s

Man, this is getting old. May also need a new clutch master and/or slave cylinder. Haven't had a chance yet to check the brakes.

Maybe my viewpoint will soften somewhat when the temperatures drop to a more reasonable number, and I can get some more tasks completed. The more the list shrinks, the more the list grows.

Got the fuel pump changed, will do the wiring for the dual fans, need to clean the radiator tubes that go from the back of the car to the front, and replace all the coolant hoses before I clean up the radiator area, repaint it, and then hook up the new radiator and put coolant back in the system. Not to mention completing three more brake rebuilds and the associated clean-ups.

And of course, when it is all completed and pretty and driveable, I'll forget about most of the troubles I have had to work through. BUT...

if I ever talk about taking on a 35 year old basket case car again, somebody PLEASE hit me with a 2x4 until I come to my senses.

New reman starter arrived yesterday. Got it replaced this morning. Smooth, fast and NO MORE GRONK!

Also working on the left rear brake, and after wirebrushing the backing plate and spacer plate, I'll be ready to reassemble tomorrow. Then onto the right rear brake (and so on and so on).

It 'feels' like the current clutch master or slave cylinder is seized up. Better to replace than to spend an inordinate amount of time diagnosing.

So I decided to order a new brake master cylinder, and a new clutch master and slave cylinder. I figured if I have it apart this far, I might as well, cause if I don't do it now, I'll just have to do it later.

And with the interior torn apart, it provides easier access and I don't have to worry if fluids spill. Also allows me to blow out all the old fluids from the hard-lines, so the new fluids don't start out as contaminated.

When all is said and done, I will have renewed all of the fluid systems on the X1/9, which goes a long way to offset 35 years of degeneration.

Attachments

• 20171021_080904.jpg
    20171021_080904.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Back