Technical 1978 fiat x19 will not shift into any gear.

Currently reading:
Technical 1978 fiat x19 will not shift into any gear.

dirtyx19

I am in the process of doing a very mild overhaul on my 79 x19.
I pulled my trans down to replace my clutch and redo the case gaskets. Upon pulling my end cap on my case I found that the detent ball that goes in the slot with the shorter spring, was not in the slot, but above the shaft (where the red arrow is pointing).

When I put the trans all back together I placed the detent ball in its respective slot, as stated in Steve's write-up, along with the shorter spring. When I pulled off the detent ball cover, the short spring was also flush with the case. Ive got the trans back inside the car, with no fluid in the case as of now. But the trans absolutely will not shift into any gear whats so ever! it shifted fine before the tear down. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks! IMG_1321_LI.jpg

I am in the process of doing a very mild overhaul on my 79 x19.
I pulled my trans down to replace my clutch and redo the case gaskets. Upon pulling my end cap on my case I found that the detent ball that goes in the slot with the shorter spring, was not in the slot, but above the shaft (where the red arrow is pointing).

When I put the trans all back together I placed the detent ball in its respective slot, as stated in Steve's write-up, along with the shorter spring. When I pulled off the detent ball cover, the short spring was also flush with the case. Ive got the trans back inside the car, with no fluid in the case as of now. But the trans absolutely will not shift into any gear whats so ever! it shifted fine before the tear down. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!View attachment 179108

Hi. I will be looking to do similar at some point..

VERY quiet in here.

As a 1st step search the forum..

Especially the TECH section

Charlie

Thanks! I'll have to do some digging today after work to see if I can narrow it down any.:cry:

Im using Steve hoelscher's write up and the 4 speed supplement found on the x19 wiki on xweb. I can't post a link because I don't have enough posts yet:eek:
It's a good write up, just wish it had pictures, or better yet a video.
I'm confident I put everything back together correct, mainly because I didn't have much apart. I'm gonna pull the end cap tonite after work and see if the shafts are seated right. Other wise, could it be the oddball detent ball??:bang:

Back