Tuning "Real power" engine transplant

Currently reading:
Tuning "Real power" engine transplant

dallara

I am seeking advice as to what engine to transplant into my x1/9. As the title hints at, I want acceleration like a missile something like the dallara replica on Youtube with the delta integrale 2wd running gear (racing 2 motorbikes and holding its own.)

Criteria:

• Has to be easily available in Ireland, so no uno turbos, hgt or punto gts or anything Lancia
  • Has to be have less than 150bhp standard tune, fuel injected and 16 valve. Turbo preferably.
  • The lowest mass and physical dimensions preferable, as Id prefer not to cut the engine bay unnecessarily.
  • Must be as reliable as possible, I think this restrains me more to modern powerplants.
Additional info:

• Wiring complexity not a constraint
  • Fabrication complexity of additional metalwork etc. not a constraint
  • However I want an achievable project within a reasonable time limit, proportional the the gains involved.
The third piece of additional info above rules out the bravo/marea 1.6 16v. The gain doesn't justify the effort. If Im going fabricating and wiring it has to be worth ny Time it.
So far considerations include 16V Fiat coupe engine
Fiat coupe 16v turbo
2L alfa ts
Any other suggetions? does anybody know if I will have to cut body to get the 16v in?

I'm building a full on Dallara replica.
I too need a power source to select and have the same criteria. I'm leaning towards motorcycle... but I'm a few years off from making a decision. I would sure like to know what you select.
BTW.. the shell which I have gutted and is now going through the process of roll cage, fuel cell, and brake and clutch modifications. I will be building my own wiring harness. The shell weighs nothing (only thing is the body without doors)... so bike power may be my answer.. I don't know?

Good Luck, I would love to see pictures!

Re: "Real power" engine transplant

I think you can put the stilo 1.6 16v head on the original block, or a slightly more modern tipo block. Run it with aftermarket ecu and you will be over 100hp easily. This means original engine mounts can be used. No cutting engine bay and you can go turbo using factory parts from punto gt/uno like manifolds etc.

Other approach is to use fuel injection and aftermarket ecu on original engine. They are tough and can be competitive like the x19s on the UK hillclimb scene.

Have you seen the Midwest Bayless Toyota k20 conversions?

Last edited:
They fail on the +1.6L bracket but what about the Alfa Twins Sparks?

Or a balls out bike engine. Waaaaa......

Iv not seen an alfa twin spark conversion but there is an alfa V6 out there. just a few mods to get that in ;)

Midwest-Bayless has a conversion kit to place a Honda K20A2 plus the Honda 6 speed w/limited slip into the X1/9.

Kit is not cheap ($3700 US), and here in Florida, the K20A2 + ECU + Transmission is available for around $3000.

But, end up with 210+ hp compared to 85hp for the stock 1500FI.

Sure, the end result is a mutation, but a mutation of the fastest kind. And, definitely reliable (It's A Honda!).

I can't post the URL yet for Midwest-Bayless, but it has Midwest-Bayless in the middle. :D

Just to clarify - the Brava/Stilo 16V head *does not* fit on the sohc block. You need a Brava/Stilo block. However this block does fit the X1/9/sohc family of gearboxes such as the Uno and Punto gearboxes, and can be modded to fit the X1/9 snail mount.

The Punto GT box fits with small mods to the left rear wheel arch for clearance. A 1.9 litre sohc can be build using a Punto 1.6 sohc block, a Stilo 1.6 78.4 mm crank and Wossner's "1.9 stroker" pistons (they have a lower compression height to suit the longer stroke and lowered compression ratio for turboing). I will at some stage investigate whether the same thing can be done with a Brava 1.6 dohc 86.4 mm bore engine with the Stilo crank.

Coupe/Integrale 16VT engines require some surgery to the bulkhead and custom mounts to fit.

Hi I have a x19 sitting in my front yard I bought for parts and it has a toyota 4cyl 2 lt I think. It used the toyota box as well it was a road registered race car not the neatest conversion but could be done better, it protrudes into the boot about 3 inches but reshaping the panel would do the trick. Its night here i will see if I can get some pictures to post. it has custom drive shafts to adapt it. I didnt like the engine mounts but like I said you could do a better job after seeing this one.

I haven't had a look at my car yet but from the pictures on the net it looks like a 5sfe from memory
Engine:
2,164 cc four EFI DOHC

Power:
1990–92 130 bhp (97 kW) at 5,400 rpm
1993–96 135 bhp (101 kW) at 5,400 rpm
1997–99 133 bhp (99 kW) at 5,400 rpm
2000–01 136 bhp (101 kW) at 5,400 rpm

Torque:
1990–92 144 lb·ft (195 N·m) at 4,400 rpm
1993–96 145 lb·ft (197 N·m) at 4,400 rpm
1997–99 147 lb·ft (199 N·m) at 4,400 rpm
2000–01 150 lb·ft (203 N·m) at 4,400 rpm

Bore:
87.1 mm (3.43 in)
Stroke:
90.9 mm (3.58 in)
Compression ratio:
9.5:1

Models with this engine:

ST204 (US Generation 6 Celica GT)
ST184 (US Generation 5 Celica GT, GT-S and SX. Australian Generation 5 Celica SX)
SW21 (US Generation 2 MR2 N/A)
SXV10 (Camry 1992–96)
SXV20 (Camry 1997–01)

You had noted that the Punto GT gearbox fits in an X1/9 with some mods to the left rear wheel arch.
Have you tried this?
I am very interested in basically transplanting a complete Punto GT drivetrain into an X1/9. I have read that the Punto GT gearbox is stronger than the X1/9 gearbox; and actually is related to the gearbox in a new Fiat 500.
True? False?
Words of wisdom on doing this conversion??

Back