Technical Correct Wheel Nut torque

Currently reading:
Technical Correct Wheel Nut torque

Irish Cento

Does anyone know what is the correct wheel nut torque in NM for Cromodora CD 58 alloys? (3 spoke design)

Useful. I must admit I have never used a torque wrench to fit wheel bolts.

I have stripped a couple of cheap aftermarket wheel bolts with a long bar. I guess that's the main risk.

I noticed that the CD 179 tron wheels have no steel shoulder around the bolt holes like some alloy wheels.

Actually you will deform the threads, both the lug and the threads in the hub. You really should not need a long bar to tighten the bolts, generally with a proper torque wrench you will question if they really are tight enough.

With a regular 1/2" socket you will have to put quite a bit of strength into it. Threads are a locking mechanism, if they are in good shape they should not come loose. I have always used anti seize on my lugs, it allows the threads to slide better and achieve the proper torque. If your threads are dry, they can bind and not actually get tight enough. If your threads are stretched then you may have issues.

If your lugs are seized, or someone over tightened them, then you may need a bar to remove them.

Thanks Ricar

The question is - how long is a 'long bar'...

I was using a supermarket wheel brace, and they really were cheap aftermarket wheel bolts... horrible.

I have learnt my lesson regarding over tightening bolts on Italian cars. Easily done with a 1/2" ratchet. Some good advice I recieved was to use a 1/4" set instead!

I had a Renault wheel brace snap on me when I had a puncture once! A lot of mechanics over torque the wheel bolts or lugs.

Back