Technical Marelli Distribitor springs

Currently reading:
Technical Marelli Distribitor springs

Hewi

I have a 1988 Bertone 1500 with a Marelli distributor. Does anyone know if the bob weight springs are available and, if so, who would stock them? Grateful for any help on this.

Hi Hewi

have you tried Eurosport X1/9 or DGRally on ebay?

might be cheaper to buy a good second hand distributor?

You probably have the S178 distributor. I could never find springs for it, but I suspect it uses the same springs as every standard marelli distributor. It's very hard to manufacture small springs with a set number of coils, length and force, so again I suspect the distributors were tuned through the weights only.
Do you want to replace the springs, or did you lose one?

Hi
Thanks for the advice and sorry for the lack of response. Been away (not in the X1/9, sadly). The issue was I had trouble with the car running a bit lumpy and refusing to start when hot. Assumed fuel issues so did all sorts of carb. things before finally admitting defeat and taking it to a pro. He found that one of the bob weight springs in the distributor (apparently they are 2 different springs) had stretched and was not working. He had to reshape?? the spring and refit it. It now runs fine and I'm a happy bunny. However, he could not guarantee how long the spring would last so I'm trying to obtain a set of springs for if/when it goes belly up again.
No joy on Eurosport or dg rally websites so I'll give them a ring and see.

I could send you a s135 distributor and you could use the springs from that assuming there the same?

Iirc distributor springs are intended to be different.
One controls the initial, low speed advance curve.
The second controls the next stage of advance up to the maximum set by the limit stops. This second spring often apears too long for the application i.e. one end seems very loose on the pin, but this is intentional. You shouldn't 'modify' or tighten these springs unless you run the distributor on a dist. testing machine to check the effect of your mods on the advance curve.

The two different springs with 'slack' or freeplay in the heavier one, are used to give a curve to the advance of ignition timing. Maybe that's why it's called 'an advance curve'
I think that using two identical springs would only give you a straightline advance to the ignition timing.

Al.

Back