Technical Wheel bearing noise?

Currently reading:
Technical Wheel bearing noise?

purf

Established member
Hi all

I've just finished fitting a refurbished rear hub as my wheel bearing had some play and the car was making a rumbling noise. It was also an MOT advisory.

Just taken it for a test drive and its still making the noise!!! :bang::bang::bang:
It sounds like its coming from the front but there doesn't seem to be any play in the bearings.

I've recently fitted new shocks and Apex springs and I think this may have marked the rise of this rumbling noise... The top mounts seemed ok but I guess its possible one could be causing this noise?

Any ideas?

20150408_212041_zpsiyug9qub.jpg

20150409_080728_zpszyuzkilz.jpg

at least ONE of my rear wishbones now looks nice... sprayed some Dinotrol around too which seems like good stuff. Sway bat nut was very rusty and tight with a lovely split pin to drill out and 100ftlb+ required to undo the nut! Was still ale to re-use the tie rod end and castle nut though.

and it still looks good with 3 wheels!

20150409_083311_zps2whlhgxo.jpg

Last edited:
The bushes all looked good. The worst bit was the rear sway bar - its 22mm, split pin and has limited access. Took about 3 evenings of two hours each. I'd have preferred not to remove the wishbone...

Something worth mentioning - Before I fitted the new shocks the steering wheel was 20 degrees off centre, after the new shocks its almost bang on central. I had put this down to the tracking having been done with the wheel off centre... but something must have been pretty worn? I have refitted the same top mount.

Interesting idea Peter - Iv'e never heard of tyre cupping but the reason I replaced the shocks is that one was not damping due to loosing all its oil. This could have cause cupping tyre wear - I will check in a minute.

The tyre in question has worn on the outside edge - I thought this was due to many roundabouts being taken at 'higher than average' speed. There are a lot on the way to work...

I will try and swap the tyre and see if there is any difference.

Last edited:
Cupped tyres are making almost the same noise like worn wheelbearing(s)...
A non functional shock absorber may well be the cause for tyre cupping.
Just slide your fingers in the opposite driving direction of the tyre, you feel sawtooth profile instantly..can't miss it.

The tyre does feel suspect with sharp leading edge on the tread on the outside shoulder so I have swapped it to the rear. However the sound continues, maybe quieter. I think its still coming from the front but its hard to tell... I have another set of tyres and wheels to try (don't want to replace the tyre currently fitted as its the wrong size).

This is a long shot I know, but none the suspension bolts are loose are they? Sure you would have checked this anyway.

I will check them all again. The main top mounts were not too tight at all when I took the old shocks off.

I was wondering if somebody had loosened them? The old shocks had been removed and painted red at some point in the past...

Its sounding more and more like wheel bearing... Just bad luck I've had two go at once... Have a day off tomorrow so I'll give it a good once over.

Back