Technical 1983 fiat bertone x19 headlights pop up but wont light up

Currently reading:
Technical 1983 fiat bertone x19 headlights pop up but wont light up

krawczuk

hi, tryin to fix up a friends high/low beam. ( 1983 fiat x19 bertone.)
headlights pop up, but no lights.
checked fuses all good , it has a new high/low beam switch set up.
one thing i noticed , when i took a wire with + 12 volts and touched it on the four high/low beam fuses then they came on.

i presume it would be the relay? any body know where th e headlight globe relay is mounted and what color wires go to it? any body got a good wiring diagram or know where i can buy one online ?
thanks , mark k

High beam has a relay, low beam goes straight through the main and column switches.
If neither high nor low beams work, it's likely to be the main switch. If high beam works but low beam doesn't, it's more likely to be the column switch.
Check with the main switch in the first position (pop up) if you can flash the high beams. That will tell you that the relay and fuses are ok.

hi, the colum switch is brand new .
i can flash the high beams.
how can i tell which relay operates the high beams , and does anybody have or know where i can get a good wiring diagram for the headlights etc..

thanks, mark k

hi, did a bit more work on the problem with no lights,
just found out that when i connect a wire from 12 volt source , to the green wire on the 8 pin connector from the colum switch , the low and high beams all work !!
now i gotta work out why it not gettin any voltage there without the wire i added......

the colum switch is a BRAND NEW item !!
mark k

hi, did a bit more work on the problem with no lights,
just found out that when i connect a wire from 12 volt source , to the green wire on the 8 pin connector from the colum switch , the low and high beams all work !!
now i gotta work out why it not gettin any voltage there without the wire i added......

the colum switch is a BRAND NEW item !!
mark k

hi, just checked the power at the ignition 4 pin connector and theres no power at the red wire with ign on.....

hi , did a bit more poking around on the bertone`s headlights :

heres what i found.....

ign off , tail lights on with the headlight pod switch in middle position.
but when i turn ign on , tail lights go off.
when i put a wire from green on colum switch to the connector on pod switch with the 2 blue wires on one connector , lights operate as normal.
but when i put that wire on connector where the black and brown wire go lights come on when pods are down.

on the back of the pod switch , i doubled check and there is no green wire. ( one schematic shows a green wire , another doesnt......) but there is the green wire from colum switch .

the only contacts on the back of that switch where wires go are : U,L,I,V,T. in 3 places on the switch there are NO terminals at all !!
I have looked at two differant wiring diagrams and one shows a green wire from pod switch , and the other doesnt.
also there are a couple looped wires on the pod switch...

hope this helps...
thansk, mark k

Attachments

• colum switch connectors.JPG
    colum switch connectors.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 104
  • P18-06-14_17.33[03].JPG
    P18-06-14_17.33[03].JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 76
  • P18-06-14_17.34[01].JPG
    P18-06-14_17.34[01].JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 69
  • P18-06-14_17.34[02].JPG
    P18-06-14_17.34[02].JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 98
  • P18-06-14_17.38[01].JPG
    P18-06-14_17.38[01].JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 81
Hi Mark, I have exactly the same problem on my X1/9, have you managed to solve the issue on your friends because I'm totally stuck?
Mine is 1989, looks like your friends has an earlier fusebox and an earlier type switch?
My headlights also pop up, side lights come on but no dipped beam or main beam, but main beams flash ok. Tried fitting a new column switch and ignition switch but still the same and tried two different headlight switches. I've now bought a Fiat Panda headlight switch which involves fitting four relays, so that's my next step....

SOLVED ...?? 1983 fiat bertone x19 headlights pop up but wont light up

Hi Mark, I have exactly the same problem on my X1/9, have you managed to solve the issue on your friends because I'm totally stuck?
Mine is 1989, looks like your friends has an earlier fusebox and an earlier type switch?
My headlights also pop up, side lights come on but no dipped beam or main beam, but main beams flash ok. Tried fitting a new column switch and ignition switch but still the same and tried two different headlight switches. I've now bought a Fiat Panda headlight switch which involves fitting four relays, so that's my next step....

hi, well, just a few days ago i`m pretty sure i fixed it ... since there was no power going to the thik green wire on the colum switch 8 pin connector , i ran a decent thick wire with a fuse from the battery straight to that green wire. that got the head lights working good.

but i also had a problem with the tail lights only working when the ign was OFF !!
LOOK AT BOTH diagrams ( one i posted and also one in the workshop repair manual) and i seen there a wire goin from the N fuse to the G fuse .
had a pretty good look at the actual fiat fuse block and couldnt see that wire....

so i made a jumper wire with two insulated female spade terminals, and put one on the back of the g fuse and other on back of n fuse.

that fixed that problem.!!

the only thing that happens is that when i switch the pods down with the head lights still on, they still stay on ( not sure if that normal...) untill i put the colum switch up( headlights turned off)
lookin back now i maybe could have wired that wire straight to the ign switch , or maybe thru a relay, so the head lights turn off when ign is off.

let me know if this helps !!!
oh , took apart the switch that raises the headlights and that was good, contacts clean and no burning.

the new factory fiat headlight colum switch i bought , had thinner wires than what was fitted on the original factory loom which i`m a little concerned about , also the actual area at the contacts on both sets of colum switches i tried gets pretty darn warm , is this normal ? i presume this is due to reading about them always failing..?

thanks, mark

Last edited:
Hi Mark, my connectors don't get warm but I guess it does happen as there is such a large current running through them which is why they tend to fail. The headlight relay mod should solve this I think. Or you can fit a brand new Fiat Panda headlight switch with 4 relays (on later cars with the slider switch, not sure if it fits earlier cars).

Hi Mark, my connectors don't get warm but I guess it does happen as there is such a large current running through them which is why they tend to fail. The headlight relay mod should solve this I think. Or you can fit a brand new Fiat Panda headlight switch with 4 relays (on later cars with the slider switch, not sure if it fits earlier cars).

hi, i shoulda ben a bit more clearer !!! the actual connectors that plug together dont get warm , its the area where the wires come of the actual colum switch..
i left the lights on for a while and nothing else happened , no burning or smoking just gets warm.

mark k

Back