Technical 1978 x1/9 fuse & relay identification ????

Currently reading:
Technical 1978 x1/9 fuse & relay identification ????

housebroken70

hello everyone. new here so forgive me if i ask something thats been covered already.

i currently have a 1978 bertone x19. im no stranger to the x1/9,s as ive owned a 79 and a couple 82's however this 78 seems a little harder to find literature for. what im looking for particularly is a simple fuse and relay identification chart. ive found several wiring diagrams for similar year and model combinations but nothing spesific to the 78'. before i get too far into things ill tell you about my problem...

the fuse located in what i suspect to be in the (b) or the (q) location pops as soon as i insert the relay into the second relay slot from the left closest to the fire wall facing the vehicle from the front, i suspect this is related to the headlamp open close system since mine do neither. ive replaced the diodes with no luck. so im pretty sure i have a short in the circuit. thats a no brainer. i could trace the short down if i knew which one of the three relays used in the headlamp system, this particular relay actually was.

in short to save me some time since im working in a non heated garage, a simple chart labeleing the relays and fuses would be very very helpful.

ok back to my overall project. the car is a real project. but has a ton of potential. it is the survivor of what appears to be about a 10 year old b grade restoration. body is solid where it counts but the floor pans have about 10 inch holes in them and the drivers seat is crunchy, the door panels, passenger seat and dash pad are pristine. ive replaced the stainless exaust with a nos muffler i found in a local exaust shop. rebuilt the carb and replaced the plugs wires and some hoses and it runs perfect so im inclined to continue on with the project.

if someone can point me in the right direction to a simple numbered labeled relay chart i would be a happy camper.

thanks, robert....

View attachment fiatheadmotor.PDF

problem solved... dont know if im doing this right but heres a diagram i didnt find anywhere on the internet. notice it actually shows the splices in the left headlamp harness that run to the right headlight motor. that was something that wasnt in the other diagrams i found on here or on the internet. this diagram is spesific to the 1977 and 1978 x1/9 and is from the all alldata library.

Well done. Where was the short?

I can't see the image you linked. Have you seen the electrical fault guide, its available through the xwebforums wiki.

I have a poor fuse box earth, which I haven't located yet. apparently its next to the steering column on us spec cars? Mines a UK car...

Last edited:
the short was in the wires that run between the left and right headlamp motors. grey and yellow to be percise. once all electrical issues were repaired i then continued on to repair my floor pans. since i use to own a body shop i ventured a different approach, which i highly recommend for anyone trying to repair rusted floor pans.

first. cut out and remove any and all rust, any that cant be removed needs sand blasted ot wire wheeled and treated with anti rust chemicals.

second, use tack screws and screw in some aluminum window screen, easily purchased from any hardware store. the aluminum screem can be easily shaped to match the origonal shape of the floor pans, if it wants to sag in the center, i placed a flat piece of cardboard wrapped with painters plastic temoprarily against the under side to duplicate the flat bottom.

third. using fiberglass resin and heavy cheese cloth i coated the window screen the cheese cloth can be laid in place and coated with the resin with a paint brush. repeat this process three times letting it dry over night between coats of cheese cloth and resin. each layer can be applied to the inside of the vehicles floor.

fourth. remove the plastic wrapped cardboard propped against the bottom. then using long strand fiberglass (gorilla hair) or (tiger hair), put one coat on the undercarriage spread it evenly dont be fussy remember it is the bottom of the car and can be undercoated. then apply one even later to the inside of the vehicles floor pans.

fifth, your done.. let it dry for a day and try to break it.. this is the same process i used in my body shop to mold fiberglass body parts with the added double layer of gorilla hair fiberglass. it is a very very durable structure when your done and my carpet fit back in perfectly..

now im on to re-upholstering my white and brown bertone seats.

heres a hint dont buy the seat covers off the internet, i did, ive never been so disapointed in my life... ive decided to tackle this project myself as the upholstery shops want way too much money and cant promise me the origonal look.

i purchased some marine vinyl from my local fabric store and come chocolate outdoor duck cloth. i reverse ingeneered the origonal seat upholstery to make my patterns, i took my moms old singer sewing machine and so far got 1 and a half brand new bertone seats, look as good as the factory seats. took a break to reply to this post.

Nice one. I once covered some seats with vinyl, and the only thing I could have done with was an old singer sewing machine...

Back