Technical Carb cooling fan

Currently reading:
Technical Carb cooling fan

l recently bought an X1/9. Everything is there in the engine bay but l am wondering when the carb cooling fan should cut in?? Should it cut in when hot and the ignition off or does it only work when the engines running??

All this is new to me.

Thanks

Carb cooling fan cuts in after engine is switched off after a run..Cuts in and out to cool the carb in order to stop fuel vapourising so that so you may restart the engine..the hotter the engine gets, the longer it cuts in and out for.longer in summer temperatures and shorter during the winter due to natural cooling..it does not operate whilst the engine is running even though cooling is minimal due to the nature of the car..

Well the simple way to test it is to take the car for a run, get it up to working temperature then take it home, make yourself a cup of tea and sit by the engine bay for half an hour. The fan should come on a few minutes after switching the engine off and should then switch on and off until carb is cooled sufficiently. The 'on' time of the fan should decrease the cooler the carb gets until it only comes on for a few seconds and then stops altogether.

Or hook it up direct to a battery to check it works. You really need a nice warm British summers day to hear it - as per Lucio it'll click on and off when you've stopped after a long drive. Sounds like a hair-dryer.

Find the thermostat housing, unplug the two wires that connect to the sensor and connect them directly to each other. Or is it just one wire and you just have to ground it? That should get the fan working.

The fan works but I've no power at the switch under the carb. Likewise I have no power at the clock either. Or the cigar lighter. And probably other items too :)

I've only heard my carb fan once so far. The car was over 90 degs and it wasn't immediately after turning the ignition off.

I'v had the vapour lock a couple of times but my cars been running very hot at high motorway speeds. (i Suspect my number plate is blocking air through the rad at high speeds :) )

Back