Technical Its doing it again !! Please help.

Currently reading:
Technical Its doing it again !! Please help.

JimmyJam

Hi all. was driving my 1500 X today for about an hour taking it up to speed etc. but as i was driving, when i change gear the revs would drop and the car would stall. It would allow me to start it again but if i revved it and let go of the accelerator the revs would drop and the car would stall again. I could only limp home as it wouldn't allow me to pick up any speed or accelerate. just had to keep the accelerator reviving even in traffic. other wise it would stall again. i even wound in the screw that increases the idle to fully in to make the engine run high but made no difference. i think it is when the engine gets hot as when i first drive i don't have this problems. Any ideas guys as i want to drive it on drive it day and don't really want the engine to cut out in a long stretch of road. Thanks Jimmy

Finger in the air guess - check your slow idle mixture screw. Sounds like it has either wound its way in and cut the fuel supply off or it has fallen out and is letting too much air in. This behaviour is common if the rubber grommet that seals the screw has perished.

Hi Jimbro thanks for the reply. nothing else has been touched and no idle screws have been messed around with. it seems to happen after a couple of hours driving. somebody suggested the coil but would it do the things that i mentioned after driving for a while. cheers Jimmy

With the rubber grommet perished the screw tends to vibrate its way in and out slowly but the effect is only noticeable at idle when the engine is hot. When cold the mixture is controlled differently, as is true when running at anything above idle speed.

Timing problems are possible candidates but I wouldn't like to make any bets on the coil being the culprit - that said it is the only component in the system that might degrade when really hot but you'd have problems at higher engine speeds too.

The other significant possibility is dirt in the carburettor - you can clean the jets easily enough, they just unscrew out of the top of the carb (only take out one at a time as it is far too easy to mix them up). If the dirt is in the narrow passages inside the carb it is another matter though. They come out at a series of progression holes level with the throttle plate on the primary barrel.

Last edited:
Back