Technical X19 headlights being fussy

Currently reading:
Technical X19 headlights being fussy

IndianaAndrew

Hey everyone,
I seem to be having some problems with my headlight motors on my 79 x19. We had a person work on the car and got the engine running smoothly but driving it home from there the headlight motors didnt work (had to raise them manually). now the motors dont want to work the first time each time i drive it but when i turn the motors to bring them up manually, the motor kicks in and raises and lowers the lights quickly. from there, They both work just fine for that drive and i can raise and lower them multiple times without problems. Can anyone tell me what to do here?

Thanks,

Sounds like the brushes on the motors are worn and the dust is causing problems. A good clean is what they need but as they aren't easily opened up it can be a bit tricky...

For now I would check the earthing points to ensure that the motors are getting the best voltage supply you can manage.

Thanks Jimbro. If it is the brushes would i be able to get new ones? are they 1979 fiat x19 specific and hard to find or are they generic and can be found at a local store?

When i referbed my motors years back v reg x19 they just needed a dam good clean up, brushes were ok
as a matter of interest, you can buy brushes from a electric motor referb company,and as brushes are made of carbon can be sanded to the correct size.
luigi

Back