Technical New x1/9 engine block

Currently reading:
Technical New x1/9 engine block

jose

Hello everyone and cheers for Toronto,Canada! This is my first post. I recently purchased a brand NEW block for a fiat x1/9....but i noticed that the auxiliary shaft bearings were not installed . I was hoping if someone could explain to me the process needed to install them. I have a set of new bearings. I keep reading off the net to just take it to a machine shop, but i want to know what this reaming process is before i take it anywhere. I have two x1/9. the 1300 & 1500. The new block is for the 1500. I plan to switch the heads and pistons(and everythng else)off the 1300 and put them in the new 1500 block. Im not thinking of using it for racing. Has anyone tried this before? Any advice. (y)

jose

Aux shaft bearings are available as finished or semi finished bearings. If the bearings you have are semi finished, they need to be installed into the block, and then precision reamed or honed to size. This is difficult and expensive to have done as the hole to be reramed is "blind" (i.e. it doesn't go all the way thru making it a more difficult process)

If they are finished bearings, then they can be installed and the inside diameter will be correct as is. (hopefully this is what you have, if they are not I have finished bearings for sale.)

Installation isn't so much difficult, but requires a couple of dedicated tools to push the new bearing in without damage. Simple to make if you have a lathe, I made mine from brass stock. You have to be careful to align the oil delivery hole in the front bearing, and the inner bearing must be fitted so the groove in the bearing is aligned with the hole in the aux shaft. Not difficult at all, but fiddly.

Nice thought about transferring all the innards to a new block, but it won't work, sorry....

1300 is 86.0mm bore... a 1500 is 86.4mm bore.

1300 is 55.5mm stroke crank, 1500 is 63.9mm stoke crank, and the conrods are correspondingy different lengths.......

a 1300 crank in a 1500 block with 1300 rods and pistons will have the tops of the pistons not making it to the top of the bore by several mm, hardly acceptable.

If the aux shaft bearing are missing, then the distributor drive gear bush probably needs to be fitted as well, as this is how a "bare" block comes, devoid of all these parts.

SteveC

Checkout my ebay sotre.... http://stores.ebay.com.au/The-Fiat-Factory

Hi steve, and thanks for the reply. I checked out your ebay store and it looks great. As for the aux-shaft bearings, im not really sure if they're semi. or finished. Im pretty sure there are semi-finished. I couldn't find the finished bearing you have for sale on your site. So give me your price on the finished bearings, AND if you can make me the tool(pusher) to install them.(the price for both).

Do you think I could get away with changing the heads only, that is putting the 1300 cylinder head on the 1500 block.(and using the 1300 bolts.) thanks for the help, I hope we can do buisness. (y)

jose
[email protected]

Aux shaft bearing (finished) $40aud a pair + freight to canada, (about $10aud)available in either standard, or 10thou under (which means you have to grind down the journals on the shaft, if they were badly worn)

making the tools and fitting the bearings I don't think will be viable, I'm in Australia.... :)

reusing the 1300 head mounting hardware.... depends.... some 1500 blocks take 12mm x 1.25 fastners like a 1300 has (5 bolts and 5 studs/nuts), but most 1500's have 10mm x 1.25 fastners (10 bolts) and some have an extra 4 small bolts across the front...so it depends which block you have as to if that will work easily....the holes can be enlarged and retapped (re threaded) in the later type blocks, but this needs to be done VERY accurately, preferably on a milling maching, not using a hand drill and cheap thread cutting tools....

email me thru the ebay store if you need more info.

SteveC

Back