General '79 X1/9 welded-in seat rails, new seat rails?

Currently reading:
General '79 X1/9 welded-in seat rails, new seat rails?

TajMan

Hey
I was wondering the best solution for non-stock seat rails that can be adapted to my stock '79 Fiat X1/9 car and seats. Some seat rails from a junk yard car I can custom cut/weld/drill/adapt? or something from a place like speedwaymotors.com?

Right now the seats rock back and forth- the stock rails don't hold them firm. I was at least going to take seats out to have them re-upholstered, still trying to figure out how to slide them off the rails.

The newer-style seats with bolt-in rails are different? Is it worth paying for / finding a set of these later stock seats?

Last edited:
The favourite option that I know of is Mk1 Miata seats - they sit at the right height when fitted and better still actually give a little more space for the really tall drivers amongst us (or so I am told).

Try searching through xweb for more information

To remove the stock seats move them all the way forwrd,, the will slide right off the rails.

I recently put in a set of bride low max seats in my x.. "lowest seat i can find' and tried to replace the stock rails.. the new rails made the seat too high.. I wound up drilling all the spot welds and removing the old rails from the old seats to use on the new seats.. So while i have nice new seats, they still dont move very well.

I have a set of Del Sol seats and a set of mid-90's MR2 seats to try and see which ones I can custom mount-up and fit/support the best..

Back