Technical electronic ignition

Currently reading:
Technical electronic ignition

capristeve

hi all

since my last post I've had some success with the car
with the help of my local garage I've now got a new alternator, they also bypassed the electronic ignition and fitted points and condenser,
this has improved things a lot, so we are suspecting the electric ignition to be
faulty, another sign was the coil getting unusually hot

can anybody suggest where I can get a new electronic ignition from

fingers crossed this will sort out the last few running problems

thanks

steve

Steve,
Did you change the coil when you had electronic ignition? You have to get a upgraded one to suit.
Standard coil does not work with lecky ignition, and causes running problems...

the previous owner fitted the electric ignition, but it did look quite old so could have been 2nd hand

my garage fitted the coil when they did the points and condenser but i see what you're saying, if i fit the new ignition i may need to upgrade the coil

thanks

I only know this for a fact as I fitted electronic igntition but left in the standard coil. The result was uneven running and stalling when coming to a stop and difficult starting when hot.
Bought a coil specifally for electronic ignition, have had no problems since.

I only know this for a fact as I fitted electronic igntition but left in the standard coil. The result was uneven running and stalling when coming to a stop and difficult starting when hot.
Bought a coil specifally for electronic ignition, have had no problems since.

Absolutely correct too - electronic ignition requires a higher energy spark and that means replacing the coil.

thanks for your comment

i'm not sure what to do, my garage have said the ignition is no good

and suggest getting a new one, as the points and condenser are a bit unstable, i'm questioning if the ignition is ok and it was the coil all along

are they known for failing

what ignition did you fit and where did you get it, do i need the dizzy kit ?

steve

Personally I used the lumenition optronic kit and it made a world of difference.
Replaces the points and condenser with a trigger and amplifier that works very well indeed.

Personally I wouldn't touch intermotor parts with a very long bargepole. Used to sell them years ago and nearly half the stuff we sold came back faulty.

Its all very well people chipping in and saying Intermotor are crap, but whats the alternative? I only bought an intermotor coil coz it was the only one I could find.
Give us a link to a better one so we can all benefit!

Thanks Lucio, If I have problems with my Intermotor one I know where to go.

My intermotor coil just packed up! I have now fitted a bosch unit which I bought for £22 from the geezer who rolling roaded it. Made a difference of 5hp. Thats how rough it was running!

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back