Tuning Uno turbo conversion completed

Currently reading:
Tuning Uno turbo conversion completed

Luckor

Hi, my X1/9 Uno turbo conversion was finished this summer and I've had a few nice weeks with the car so far. I collected some good advice here along the way (mostly from the Uno section) and couldn't be more thankful.

A few years ago I restored the bodywork and this year I also upgraded the interior with leather seats among other details.

Here are some pictures of the car. Hope you enjoy.

IMG_9287.JPG

IMG_9279.JPG

IMG_7966.JPG

IMG_7970.JPG

IMG_7965.JPG

IMG_9304.JPG

IMG_7979.JPG

IMG_9285.JPG

IMG_9302.JPG

IMG_9358.JPG

IMG_7434.JPG

Lackdags_1.JPG

Spackeltider_1.JPG

Motorlyft1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks very good. Are you running an intercooler, if so where did you fit it? The convertion looks very professional, i like it. Please let us have some more pics.

Toppy

Thank you all!

Yes, it's a real head turner. It doesn't sound much since the turbo was installed, the turbocharger lowers the exhaust noise radically, so no heads are turned just by the poofy sound. But when the car i spotted, people have problems stop looking.

Yes, I'm using the Uno standard intercooler. It's fitted on the left side of the engine bay and breathes through the air intake on left wing. It can be seen on a couple of the engine bay pictures above. It's not an ideal location when it comes to air flow, but it's hard to find alternatives if you want to keep the bodywork intact.

Speaking of pictures, there seems to be a problem with my imagecave account (where I store my pictures), so I haven't been able to add more. I'll get back as soon as I can reach my pictures!

Hi all, some more pictures as promised! A few from the bodywork restoration also, and a glimpse of the engine doner and a glimpse of myself.
IMG_7979.JPG
IMG_7963.JPG
IMG_9358.JPG
IMG_7433.JPG
Motorlyft1.JPG
Spackeltider 1.JPG
Lackdags 1.JPG

People say its nice but I see no pictures :cry:

Check your imagecave account..
Perhaps you should change the locations to somewhere else.

Imagecave.com that hosts my pictures has apparantly been down for weeks now without my notice. Found a bunch of frustrated people at different forums.

I guess I'll have to find another picture host. Crap! Linking the pictures from another host to this same thread probably won't be easy either. At least they won't appear in my first post as before, I guess. Messy!

If its half as nice as people say, its worth waiting for (y)

Now get to work on finding a new host.

Imagecave.com that hosts my pictures has apparantly been down for weeks now without my notice. Found a bunch of frustrated people at different forums.

I guess I'll have to find another picture host. Crap! Linking the pictures from another host to this same thread probably won't be easy either. At least they won't appear in my first post as before, I guess. Messy!
If you upload the images to the FiatForum gallery (link here) and then send me a PM with the links in the order you want them posted, I can insert them into the original post for you :)

Reactions: ben
have you thought about charge cooling. this is where the air from the turbo is routed though a liquid cooled core to the inlet plenum. it gives full boost all the time rather than losing boost through heat. You need an additional radiator core at the front, a charge cooler, and pipework. Toyota Celica GT4's are chargecooled to give you an idea of what you need.

Hi, not seen the pics but thought I would just chip in! I have had 2 of these in slightly various forms. On both my cars, I located the intercooler below the body to get full air. If the car has not been lowered, don't worry about catching it (That only happenes when you mount a curb too fast!!).
Cheers

Thanks to bludvl_x19 the pictures are up again! They can also be viewed at in Gallery section: https://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=99304

About the intercooler location: Yes, I have considered using liquid cooling but it's just a thought so far. I'm aware of the not so ideal location of the air IC on the left in the engine compartment, but that was the only way to go to get the car ready and running for this last season. Since I live in a country with hidious winters the car is locked in for several months and then suddenly the summer is over us again and EVERYTHING is supposed to be ready, because soon the season is ended and you have to wait til next year ... again ... Kind of a stress factor.

Before mounting the IC where it is today, I actually tried to find a location under the car, but there is not much space ... at all! This is a car used on roads so it simply can't be fitted too low.

Well, looking out on the snowy world outside my window, we'll see what the next season brings. I have all the time in the world to rebuild ... or?

Back