Technical What engines fit X1/9?

Currently reading:
Technical What engines fit X1/9?

I have seen several Uno Turbo swaps and I know the Ritmo/Strada engine goes straight in, but what else will fit the X1/9 without too much sweat and tears? Will the tipo 1.4 engine go in for instance?

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies - I've just bought an '81 X1/9 on ebay and collect it next week, fingers crossed it doesn't need a huge amount of work. Part availability in the UK looks good - anyone recommend I pay the sub and join http://www.x1-9ownersclub.org.uk/ ? Hey Guzzi Steve - the guys at Middle Barton should have lots of interesting bits lying around?

I've been an X1/9 club member for more years than I can remember. The magazines have usefull traders and some funny stories but most importantly you'll get discounts on insurance and parts that actually offsets the money you pay to join the club in the first place!

In the NE we have plenty of meets and days out too :) .

i cant really think of anything that hasn't been metioned... stradas/ritmos, lancia 1600/2000l, supercharged lancia engines, 1300l turbo uno which is basically a strengthend version of the exys 1300l engine. but if you don't want hastles do what i'm looking at doing in make a high comp 1500 out of a 1500 block and 1300 head, should be good for a noticeable performance increase, but will need to run on high octane fuel

I am just after collecting an '81 that I bought on Ebay and thought it might need an engine. I am after reliability and easy running - I don't want to have to worry about it blowing up, or not being able to get parts when I need them. I will probably keep it standard as spares are scarce in Ireland.

orestes - sounds like you should keep a cloth bag in the boot for putting the piston bits in when it goes *bang*...!! Post pics when you get a chance - love to see other project cars.

hmm, just some more thoughts... if you wanted performance on a fairly decent budget as well as reliability you could find an engine out of a front wheel drive delta HF turbo, there 140bhp, and what's basically a ritmo engine, or if you didn't want the hastles of electronic injection the carbie version of the same engine makes 130hp

Last edited:
Personally i would go for a 1372cc turbo lump from an uno turbo as many parts are still available, and not too expensive plus its been done before so advice is also available- plus performance as standard is excellant, so if you go in for some tuning theres plenty of extra potential

The 1372 engine is not as easy as the 1301 due to the clearance needed for the turbo, The 1301 is meant to be the better engine and you can do more to them you will have fun with the gearbox internals from the uno box if you have the correct one and the casing from the X19
Dave

Has to be a pre-'88 Mk1 Uno Turbo. Later Mk1 and Mk2 Uno Turbos have a different gearbox, which has internals of a design that won't fit in the X1/9 casing.

In San Francisco (is that where 'bay area' is?) that's going to be impossible. They were never sold new in the USA. Probably your best bet is eBay.co.uk and pay for shipping ;)

Having re-read your post, I wonder if you were intending to buy just the turbocharger and bolt it onto the X1/9's engine... there's a lot more to an Uno Turbo than that... The bore and stroke is different. There are oil spray nozzles to cool the underside of the pistons. The cam is different and the compression ratio is lower. There is electronic ignition with crank angle sensor and electronic injection (Bosch LE2 Jetronic, similar to USA injected X1/9s but of course the ECU is programmed for positive manifold pressure up to 1 bar). There's even an oil cooler and intake air intercooler... you would need all those bits. You should, though, be able to bolt the X1/9's gearbox straight onto the Uno Turbo engine (not sure why the need to swap parts was suggested?)

Another option is to have a turbocharger installation developed locally, with a head gasket shim to reduce the compression, and aftermarket engine management to handle the fuel. Probably cheaper than getting an Uno Turbo engine, and although maybe not quite as reliable, it would be an interesting ride...

I myself would go for the 'hot 1500' option, as I've said in another thread ;)
-Alex

Last edited:
Re: What about a Punto S1600 engine & gearbox?

Has anyone ever taken the engine and drivetrain from a Punto S1600 Abrath rally car?

rally_mk2revb_01.jpg

Any ideas if it would fit?

if its a 81 model,then its a 1500 engine.these engines are reliable and durable.you can tune them to run reliably with about 158bhp.nice and fast. :D (y)

I'm currently working on a 1600 Vtec engined X,been at it a few years,but hope it may be finished this year,should be fun.8500 rpm,and 160BHP.

you lot in america are so lucky to have big capacity engines laying around everywhere. i so love V8's like small block chevy ones. so simple in its ohv form yet so easy to get massive power and torque from.(y)

I used to be the West Midlands OC Area Organiser for the X1/9 club(owned 7 Exxys!) and there was a guy in the club a few years ago that had a 3.0 Alfa V6 in his?! He took it to Turin one year but I believe its been written off since....
He basically sacrificed the rear boot to get it in...........

Back