Technical CV Joint to Driveshaft Circlip Removal

Currently reading:
Technical CV Joint to Driveshaft Circlip Removal

Pull9Gs

Currently in the process of removing the N/S driveshaft to replace a split boot.

Got everything else apart and now just struggling to remove the circlip that holds the driveshaft into the CV joint.

Does anybody know how it comes off?

It can’t simply be enlarged in terms of internal diameter and then slid up the driveshaft as the inner part of the CV joint doesn’t seem to have enough clearance to allow it?

Also the Haynes manual suggests “compressing it with pliers”. (Page 95 Section 2 #7 – called the lockring.)
This would seem to make more sense but I can’t get it to reduce in internal diameter at all. It seems to be tight on the diameter of the driveshaft at rest? It certainly isn’t floating.

I was hoping I wouldn’t have to painstakingly remove all of the grease to see what exactly is going on so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This is what's shown in the Fiat X1/9 workshop manual.

Attachments

• X1-9 CVJ.JPG
    X1-9 CVJ.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 2,073
I'm trying to remove a circlip that is on the other end. Still the CV joint end but rather inboard of the CV rather than outboard as shown in the diagram?

What model does this refer to or are they all the same in this respect?

Even more confusing!

Thanks for the help Davren.

After some googling I found:

https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecento-seicento-guides/233455-remove-refit-new-outer-cv-boot.html

I'm not 100% if the cinquecento is identical but it looks very similar in the problematic area:
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

These photos are from member "levemircento"

In his/hers guide it says: "pop the circlip and the shaft will come free of the outer joint".

From looking at the photos I am assuming the circlip expands to allow the drive shaft to become free.

Will look at the X tomorrow and report back!

Althought the shaft and CV joint in the picture appears different to the diagram I posted from the X1/9 manual, the principle looks the same. Expand the circlip into the CV joint and the shaft should come out.

It's out!

The method of connection between the CV and driveshaft is near enough identical to that pictured above.

The circlip requires opening up so its legs are nearly as wide as the opening in the CV component.

Hope this is helpful to anybody in the future...

Back