Technical Uno dizzy in X1/9?....

Currently reading:
Technical Uno dizzy in X1/9?....

Martinp

Hi all!,
I read somewhere that a Fiat Uno dizzy with electronic ign would fit a (points)X19, you would also need the coil, nessesary wiring and a vacuum connection for the vac adv. Apparently the X19 dizzy cap fits the Uno dizzy? Can anyone confirm this and post any details of conversion, as i would like do away with the points and condenser setup badly! Plus my dizzy's a bit worn anyway.

THANX.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes slected distributors from some unos,tipos,regattas,stradas,puntos etc will be a direct bolt on swap. You'll need the coil,dizzy and the trigger lead that runs between the two of these items from the donar car. BEFORE you disconnect the old coil, look to see where the LT leads go. Funnily enough the LT leads will go on the same + or - connections of your 'new' coil.
Regards dizzy.....Due to it being slightly taller than the x1-9 originals it'll foul the bulkhead inspection cover, so 'Modify' this to suit.
Regards caps fitting dizzys....There was two different original types for the x1-9. There's about another half dozen x1-9 compatable dizzys from other FIATs out there too.....
Vacuum advance...this is an either or situation. Many in the ownerclub leave it disconnected with no ill effects. Several connect it up via the carb, or modify an x1-9 inlet manifold. Don't be tempted to try the soft option of fitting the inlet manifold from your doner!...even if the thing lines up at the head, there wont be enough clearance against the rear boot wall.
This mod' (together with a few others) should make any x1-9 feel much more lively.

Get a short electronic diz out of a 1400 Tipo or similar,and build the internals into a late cassette points type X1/9 diz, all straightforward,and you don't get any clearance problems.I did mine in about half an hour.

I wanted to do what Tiffx19 suggested, but found that the later cassette-type dizzy didn't have enough holes/had an extra slot, so I just used the body of a Strada 85 distributor (new off eBay, complete, for 10 pounds) with the cap off the X1/9 dizzy, and remodelled the access cover a little. I removed the vacuum advance and replaced it with the 'dummy' vacuum advance (white plastic) from the cassette-dizzy. I changed over the advance springs to be certain (the weights looked identical and I couldn't be bothered getting them off).

The electronic ignition coil bolted on perfectly in place of the original, and the wiring was easy to do tidily (got hold of the wiring out of an Uno which had the same plug).

It works perfectly - no more mysterious ignition cut-outs...

-Alex

Back