Technical Brake fluid reservoir cracked

Currently reading:
Technical Brake fluid reservoir cracked

ppalma

Hi all,
I've just noticed that the top of my brake fluid reservoir is cracked, probably due to aging. Any ideas on where I can find a replacement? This seems to be a rare item...:(
X1/9 parts are usually carry-over from other models, but I can't find the part number listed anywhere. Is FIAT P/N 4394454 the correct P/N?

Given the space available almost any reservoir will fit. I was however trying to retain some originality. By the way, the two reservoirs used in the early cars are the same as the clutch reservoir used in later cars, so if anyone is looking for one....

If the reservoirs are of a suitable depth and have the same thread size for the cap then the low level light is irrelevant as it is incorporated in the cap not the reservoir itself.

With a bit of work almost any suitable sized cap can be used to get the indicator, it just takes some mix and match work...

The stock brake reservoir cap will fit the clutch one.

Using 2 clutch reservoirs will give you the added bonus of separating the front a rear brakes completely so if the fronts leak the rears will still work and visa versa (or this is my understanding from what i've read elsewhere)

Bear in mind that you would probably need 2 indicators caps wired in parallel so that if either dropped below level the dash light would come on

twin clutch for brake reservoir is described here
http://xwebforums.org/showthread.php?t=7751
Hope this helps

Cheers

Last edited:
I think I'm going for the twin clutch reservoir solution. These are still available and allow for the level indicator as seen here:
30082009769.jpg

This is the setup used in early FIAT 127s.
The clutch reservoir is easier to find under "LADA 2101-1602560". I believe this model was still being produced early this morning...

Hi all,
I've just noticed that the top of my brake fluid reservoir is cracked, probably due to aging. Any ideas on where I can find a replacement? This seems to be a rare item...:(
X1/9 parts are usually carry-over from other models, but I can't find the part number listed anywhere. Is FIAT P/N 4394454 the correct P/N?

4394454 is indeed the right part, but it is no longer available new (and used is no good because as you've noticed, they crack with age). You have several options:
1) if the cracks aren't too serious, they can be "welded" with a soldering iron and a piece of scrap plastic to use as welding rod. I've done that a few times.
2) although the brake reservoir is no longer available, the smaller clutch reservoir is, and you can use two of them in place of the single two-tank brake reservoir. Indeed, that was the stock configuration in the earliest cars.
3) try searching the archives over at xwebforums to find which BMW parts can be substituted.

I've just received a couple of clutch reservoirs from my local LADA dealer! Top marks for the LADA service, although I fail to understand why they have a "local" (in Portugal) parts dealer when they don't sell any cars here.
Anyway, as expected, these are the "autogamma" parts, identical to the original FIAT items. I'll have to dig up a new cap with sensor, but that should be easy to find.

Back